The Student Room Group

Winston AI detector for personal statements

is it okay if I use chat GPT to help me with a personal statement such as grammar and how to phrase things a little better? Also, I used the Winston AI detector and it came out as 3%. Is Winston AI accurate?
Original post by Lawy004
is it okay if I use chat GPT to help me with a personal statement such as grammar and how to phrase things a little better? Also, I used the Winston AI detector and it came out as 3%. Is Winston AI accurate?

Seems excessive and an unnecessary risk for something as basic & easy as a personal statement.

Especially given a personal statement is intended to be personal. Not an essay using regenerative techniques on existing literature.
Original post by Lawy004

Hello,

Please do not use chatgpt for anything like a personal statement, assessments etc. Not only does it hinder your chances for an offer but it hinders yourself as you become reliant on AI, instead of improving your skills by yourself or with other real people.

When I wrote my personal statement in 2019 I had my English teachers read it over and make sure all the grammar was correct and make any recommendations/cuts. That’s gives you so much more intuition and originality than asking AI that draws from answers and questions other people have made.

Real feedback from real people is an asset for anything and you should never take chatgpt over that. As an English student I guess I’m a bit passionate about not using it but also it ruins people’s degrees if they’re caught so stay away from it for your personal statement.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Very risky for little/no benefit. AI grammar is obvious and appalling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending