The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion, because of this putdown:

Woman: Churchill, you're drunk!
Churchill: Yes, madam, indeed I am. But you're ugly, and at least I shall be sober in the morning!
Reply 21
Democracy
I don't know, frankly he's overrated, I can think of much better people for that position.

Lord Nelson gets my vote.
He led us to victory against the Nazis. Regardless of anything else, this is a pretty top trump.

He also made some kick arse speeches.
Reply 23
crazyspacemonkey

He also made some kick arse speeches.

So did Adolf :indiff:
Aeolus
So did Adolf :s-smilie:

Yeah but Adolf lost. Not to mention he isn't British.
Reply 25
crazyspacemonkey
Yeah but Adolf lost. Not to mention he isn't British.

So would you say Adolfs ability to make kick ass speeches puts him in the running for greatest Austrian of all time?
Aeolus
So would you say Adolfs ability to make kick ass speeches puts him in the running for greatest Austrian of all time?

No, I wouldn't.
Aeolus

Not solely on his ability to make 'kick ass' speeches but he's definitely a contendor for greatest Austrian of all time.

The only problem I have with him being in that competition is that he wanted to rid the world of jews, blacks, homosexuals, communists and anyone who stood against him, he also wanted to take over the world. A facist bastard who I'd have tortured for years had I got my hands on him.
Reply 28
ScotlandStandUp
Not solely on his ability to make 'kick ass' speeches but he's definitely a contendor for greatest Austrian of all time.

The only problem I have with him being in that competition is that he wanted to rid the world of jews, blacks, homosexuals, communists and anyone who stood against him, he also wanted to take over the world. A facist bastard who I'd have tortured for years had I got my hands on him.

? So a contender for the greatest Austrian of all time is a man who ordered the deaths of over 6 million innocent people, and killed millions more through conflict?

How does that work?
Aeolus
? So a contender for the greatest Austrian of all time is a man who ordered the deaths of over 6 million innocent people, and killed millions more through conflict?

How does that work?

He rallied Germany and got them to support him/die for him, he also took over 3/4 of Europe.

I personally don't like him and hate facism but if you exclude extermination, he did achieve "great" things, whether they were good or not is for you to decide.
Reply 30
ScotlandStandUp
He rallied Germany and got them to support him/die for him, he also took over 3/4 of Europe.

I personally don't like him and hate facism but if you exclude extermination, he did achieve "great" things, whether they were good or not is for you to decide.

That's ********, of course it is.
Alasdair
That's ********, of course it is.

You what?
Reply 32
ScotlandStandUp
You what?

Of course we have the moral faculty to decide whether the things Hitler did were 'good' or 'great' or not. It is undeniable they were 'influential', but 'great' has positive value connotations that are absolutely not applicable to Hitler unless you're fascist scum.
Alasdair
Of course we have the moral faculty to decide whether the things Hitler did were 'good' or 'great' or not. It is undeniable they were 'influential', but 'great' has positive value connotations that are absolutely not applicable to Hitler unless you're fascist scum.

Alexander The Great is considered to be the greatest Macedonian and tactician ever.

Napoleon is considered to be one of the greatest Frenchmen and tacticians ever.

Columbus has a national day in the USA in order to represent him, I won't need to go in to too much detail here, having ordered the killings of millions of aztecs, mayans etc.

I could go on forever, little men make little mistakes, big men make big mistakes, Hitler may have been facist scum with horrendous dreams, but so were all of the obove who are considered heroes in parts of the world.
Reply 34
ScotlandStandUp
Alexander The Great is considered to be the greatest Macedonian and tactician ever.

Napoleon is considered to be one of the greatest Frenchmen and tacticians ever.

Columbus has a national day in the USA in order to represent him, I won't need to go in to too much detail here, having ordered the killings of millions of aztecs, mayans etc.

I could go on forever, little men make little mistakes, big men make big mistakes, Hitler may have been facist scum with horrendous dreams, but so were all of the obove who are considered heroes in parts of the world.

Yes, but firstly i wouldn't call the final solution a 'mistake' and secondly Hitlers wrongs far outweigh any good he ever did.
Reply 35
L i b
"Briton".

As for what made him great: a rose-tinted view of wars and a shedload of propaganda. Frankly I just don't see him as that great at all.

wasn't he the first to bomb the kurds from the air with chemicals, hence gaining the title "KURD KILLER" when Iraq was a british colony?

Latest

Trending

Trending