The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Don_Scott
Poverty may explain theft but it can't explain crimes like rape.

Petty theft maybe, what about gang killings, drug trafficking, bank robberies...rapes?
UGeNe
Don't the higher crime rates suggest a lack of morals within the African-American communities?

You can't blame everything on poverty.

You can argue that the culture of some blacks, arguably different to that of whites, perhaps is more prone to violence.. but it is scientifically baseless and insulting to argue that they are inherently (by race alone) morally inferior to whites.
An awful lot can be blamed on poverty. Not everything... but I think the reason why blacks have different crime statistics to whites in America is a mixture of socioeconomic factors (such as education, wealth, and opportunity), culture, and discrimination.

Whereas, the gist of what neo con is saying is that if it was the other way round, if whites were generally poorer, with fewer opportunities, were the ethnic minority and had all the psychological effects of being an ethnic minority, then blacks would still (somehow?) be the more violent, the more "retarded", the more uncivilised.

I don't there's anything to that other than discrimination. You only have to look at a black doctor, or lawyer, or a black person who goes to university to know that its not true. You only have to know a single black person who isn't like that to know that its not true what he is saying.
Don_Scott
No, I was telling you to "go home" because I don't see why you should stay in a country you hate.

i) I don't hate England, or even Europe. I am actually extremely fond of Europe and European culture. I am just not idiotic enough to pretend that the beautiful side of European culture somehow elevates it from the extreme acts of disgusting brutality which have marred its history, and makes it any less "savage" than those of native American societies which, as has been illustrated earlier in the thread, in many cases had fairly "unsavage" social organisations.

ii) England is my home. Telling me to "go home" is by definition telling me to stay in this country. What you are saying here is based upon the assumption that my home is not in fact England, and is somewhere else, i.e. that I am a foreigner.

Do not take the world for a fool, Don.
littleshambles
ii) England is my home. Telling me to "go home" is by definition telling me to stay in this country. What you are saying here is based upon the assumption that my home is not in fact England, and is somewhere else, i.e. that I am a foreigner.

Do not take the world for a fool, Don.

I was under the impression that you were a foreigner because James said so.
Reply 284
BeanofJelly
You can argue that the culture of some blacks, arguably different to that of whites, perhaps is more prone to violence.. but it is scientifically baseless and insulting to argue that they are inherently (by race alone) morally inferior to whites.
An awful lot can be blamed on poverty. Not everything... but I think the reason why blacks have different crime statistics to whites in America is a mixture of socioeconomic factors (such as education, wealth, and opportunity), culture, and discrimination.

Whereas, the gist of what neo con is saying is that if it was the other way round, if whites were generally poorer, with fewer opportunities, were the ethnic minority and had all the psychological effects of being an ethnic minority, then blacks would still (somehow?) be the more violent, the more "retarded", the more uncivilised.

I don't there's anything to that other than discrimination. You only have to look at a black doctor, or lawyer, or a black person who goes to university to know that its not true. You only have to know a single black person who isn't like that to know that its not true what he is saying.

South Africa after the Apartheid?
Don_Scott

:rolleyes:

Sorry, that's hilarious mate.
Telling malawi-girl (a joke dw) to go home is a low blow.

You wouldn't tell me to "go home" if I had said what she had, because I'm not mixed race. You can deny it, but you know you wouldn't say that to someone who was all white.

And just because her dad wasn't raised here doesn't mean she isn't perfectly entitled to criticise. You can criticise certain elements of your country without being obliged to leave.

EDIT: My post seems overly harsh after what you said about being under the impression she was a foreigner. Still, you should probably think about the assumptions you (and everyone - me included) can make about people based solely on their racial appearance.
Don_Scott

Yes, and James said so because he looked at my profile picture and saw that my skin was brown.

Ta-da!

What possible thing about my profile pic other than the colour of my skin could tell James that I was foreign? I am forced to assume either rank ignorance or prejudice on both your parts.
I didn't know she was born here.
Reply 289
Don_Scott

Lynch her anyway, dude! You big softy!
so? the native american population was at one point high now it is a minority who cares. America is CERTAINLY NOT a white nation, it is a nation based on IMMIGRATION.
UGeNe
South Africa after the Apartheid?

That is a different situation. They were restored to a situation of power, but unfortunately many black people in South Africa are very much filled with racial hatred, because of the way they were treated (I'm not making excuses- its wrong, but that is the reason)
I make no bones about it, they're racist just as the whites before them. But don't think that if it had been the other way round, if people from Somalia or somewhere had occupied parts of Europe and insisted on a cruel and degrading apartheid, the white people wouldn't be keen on revenge once power was restored.
Don_Scott

To be fair, even if I wasn't, I would have hoped my facility with the native language would earn me some Brownie points at the very least. Besides, whether I was foreign or not only became an issue because of my arguments, as if me being foreign would have had any impact on them.

It was, all in all, essentially a racist ad hominem whether I was born here or not.

Anyway, as much as I would love to continue in the great TSR pastime that is racial prejudice, I have TV shows to be watching.

Laters, haters.

:cool:
Reply 293
BeanofJelly
That is a different situation. They were restored to a situation of power, but unfortunately many black people in South Africa are very much filled with racial hatred, because of the way they were treated (I'm not making excuses- its wrong, but that is the reason)
I make no bones about it, they're racist just as the whites before them. But don't think that if it had been the other way round, if people from Somalia or somewhere had occupied parts of Europe and insisted on a cruel and degrading apartheid, the white people wouldn't be keen on revenge once power was restored.

Black majority is oppressing the white minority, and it's happening right now, and you still defend them?
I may as well say because of the slave trade, whites are ethnically more inclined to enslave other races and treat them like dirt.

I don't believe that, and yet statistics on "how often given races have enslaved other races" would obviously support that argument.

Correlation does not equal causation. Humans are all by their nature dangerously prone to cruelty and selfishness, but whites and blacks demonstrate these traits in equal measure.
There have been black on black massacres, white on white massacres, people are people are people and we all have the capacity to be bad.
UGeNe
Black majority is oppressing the white minority, and it's happening right now, and you still defend them?

I don't defend them. I think it's awful. I just think whites are just as capable of behaving in the same way, as surely the apartheid itself is testament to.
To be honest who originally enhabited America before it was discovered? What has happened to them as a population now? Enough said.
Reply 297
BeanofJelly

But this has already been proven in stats by me, ypo, made in usa :rolleyes: Whites in poverty commit less crime than blacks. Oh and what "psychological effects" of being a minority-that one made me giggle, this isn't nigeria or some middle eastern country which hacks people to pieces based on their ethnicity. Blacks have as much right as any other race by LAW, and the law is followed, so I have no idea what this "psychological effect" is. Maybe we should do a petition to save the poor blacks of America due to the mass murder they are facing and being in prison?

One person doesn't define a race. You look at a whole community and you look at the stats to see where it is heading. Even Condi (successful african american in bush administration) said blacks are lagging behind. It's pretty scary how in your eyes, one black lawyer will somehow wash away the fact that blacks are committing a huge proportion of crimes in relation to their relatively small population. One black lawyer will wash away the loss of all the thousands who lose their lives every year.

This is ridiculous. Even condi, who I admire and have huge respect for, spoke the truth as an AFRICAN AMERICAN. It takes guts to analyse your own race and culture and come up with the truth. She could have gone down the easy route of "whites are neo nazis" we still "hung about slavery that's why we commit most rape and interracial crime." But she didn't.

Take note.
Yeah sure, but Condoleezza Rice is still an arse though.
Mhm I don't like her. She's not nice

Latest

Trending

Trending