The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Take a look at publications/journals produced by the Royal United Services Institute and the Royal Institute of International Affairs (more commonly known as Chatham House). Take a look at a volume or two of Foreign Affairs as well (even though you will be able to detect a very obvious 'American' view of international relations... :wink: ) - you can pick it up at most major WHSmith stores. It's an ever evolving field, hence I suggest regularly published journals. However, Modelski's Principles of World Politics is still regarded as the classic study of globalization.

It's also worth reading around the different aspects of 'International Relations' to decide which route you'd like to take if your university offers different electives - I am very much at the Strategic Studies end of the IR spectrum (being ex-RN), but also take an interest in global governence (such as how the EU works - someone's got to know, surely :biggrin: ). This is an ideal introduction to Strat. Studies (does what it says on the tin); meanwhile, this is a standard introduction to the latter (and IR more generally).
Reply 2
Generic Introduction to IR textbooks are things like....

Chris Brown - Understanding International Relations
Joseph Nye - Understanding International Conflict
Baylis, Smith et al - Globalisation of World Politics

Personal "Favourites" being Nye or Baylis with the second being a pretty thorough textbook with some good explanations of theories which many people don't "Bother" with etc in the first term, but the sooner you get a good grasp of these the sooner you'll get better grades.

Along with this recommended reading its probably good to just buy some books that cover areas you're interested in, for example I just bought Mearsheimar's book on the Israel Lobby and US foreign Policy along with a book on the US and international communities response to the Rwandan Genocide

From something I posted a few days back..
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses, from the electives I've seen on the courses I would most likely be choosing as many to do with American politics as I could, any suggestions for specific reading to do with American politics and foreign policy?
Reply 4
I'm not particularly au fait with American politics. This book would appear to be a good introduction to the subject of American foreign affairs.

For American politics in general it might be worth having a hunt around to try and find some text books from American high school politics courses, which I suspect would give a good grounding in their system and its origins.

Again, being published in the States, Foreign Affairs journal contains essays which are very 'American' in their viewpoint - so a good way of developing some ideas as to what American foreign policy is born of.

Another idea... pick one of the American electives that interests you (on any of the courses), then, rather cheekily, email the course/module supervisor and explain that you are interested in the course, and would like to know if there are any works that they particularly recommend. This will have one of three results: a) They're a miserable old academic who doesn't like tutoring and won't really be interested, so will tell their secretary that they're in an important meeting... b) They're a miserable old academic who doesn't really like tutoring, but will take the opportunity to try and drum up a sale of their entire published works... c) They aren't so miserable and take the opportunity to try and build your interest in the subject by pointing you towards certain books. Most academics doubtless have a passion for their subject, and most people with a passion like to share it, so unless they're under piles of paperwork you should get a fairly positive response.
Reply 5
skisimonemail
the course/module supervisor and explain that you are interested in the course, and would like to know if there are any works that they particularly recommend. This will have one of three results: a) They're a miserable old academic who doesn't like tutoring and won't really be interested, so will tell their secretary that they're in an important meeting... b) They're a miserable old academic who doesn't really like tutoring, but will take the opportunity to try and drum up a sale of their entire published works... c) They aren't so miserable and take the opportunity to try and build your interest in the subject by pointing you towards certain books. Most academics doubtless have a passion for their subject, and most people with a passion like to share it, so unless they're under piles of paperwork you should get a fairly positive response.

That's a very good idea, you should be able to find the relevant lecturer's email address on your uni's website easily. All mine were more than happy to help:yes:
Reply 6
Thanks again for the help and that idea skisimon, I never even thought of doing that.

Latest

Trending

Trending