The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
amie05
Hi,

I'm predicted AABC (one of the A's being general studies) at AS Level, and got 1A* and 10 A's at GCSE. What are my chances of getting on to a computer science course at a university like Birmingham or Warwick with these grades plus only as much knowlegde of computers as the average person?

Thanks

imo Warwicks fairly easy to get into, judging that a fair few people at the open day didnt have prior proper computing knowledge.
But then thats the reasons i didn't choose it.
Reply 21
AshleyT
imo Warwicks fairly easy to get into, judging that a fair few people at the open day didnt have prior proper computing knowledge.
But then thats the reasons i didn't choose it.

Depending on what you class as 'proper computing knowledge'. Over half of the intake in my year had never programmed before starting the course.
Reply 22
sunspoon
Depending on what you class as 'proper computing knowledge'. Over half of the intake in my year had never programmed before starting the course.

Well i mean done something outside of standard computer stuff...aka web design...graphics...programming...or w.e.
Edinburgh and Southampton i found tended to want people whom had done such things whereas Warwick i felt they were just accepting anyone they could whom were getting the grades.

Could just be my impression though, no offense Warwick people =).
AshleyT
Well i mean done something outside of standard computer stuff...aka web design...graphics...programming...or w.e.
Edinburgh and Southampton i found tended to want people whom had done such things whereas Warwick i felt they were just accepting anyone they could whom were getting the grades.

What have you done outside the "standard" computer stuff then? I really doubt that Edinburgh and Southampton cared if you had done or not, if you get the grades they let you in surely?
AshleyT

I think this might depend on course content, as for Imperial, most of the practical we do are programming, hence they might not mind people not knowing anything because some people who came in might have some bad habits when programming (using underscore in names in haskell for example lol). On the otherhand, I heard uni like Bath uses application software that we dont in IC, so if people come in with a lot of experience already, the university would be able to teach them more advance stuff straight away rather than start off with how to draw a line etc...

above is only my personal opinion, hope it helps.
Reply 25
TheQueenOfComputerScience
What have you done outside the "standard" computer stuff then? I really doubt that Edinburgh and Southampton cared if you had done or not, if you get the grades they let you in surely?

Web design(had a website with over 1.5k members), Java and Bytecode (BCEL), C++, graphics(photoshop), VB, running servers with a lot of customers.

Although in the past two years due to a levels haven't done much, most of the above i did when i was 13-> 16 years old.
IDK i just found that at Warwick people i'd spoken to hadn't done much outside...but at soton and Edinburgh they had. Like at soton (no offense soton people) everyone seemed really nerdy and already coding in some form of language. Likewise with Edinburgh whom seem to pick on potential rather then grades.

Latest

Trending

Trending