The Student Room Group
dumbgeek
I don't really know what a accountant is all i know is it has something to do with money. So i'm asking

1) What is an accountant and what do you do on a daily basis?
2) How much do you get paid? If you have more experince do you get paid more?
3) What A-levels do you need ? I'm taking Maths with stats is that okay?

Thanks

please number the answers like my questions are would be extremly helpfull

1) There are definitions on the internet. Just use Wikipedia or Google.
2) Accountancy is a lucrative profession. I'd say upwards of £75,000 per annum.
3) Maths is the bare essential A Level you need. Stats is fine too. Economics may help and History never hurts.
1) Accountant is a broad term and their are many different areas that you can practice in e.g audit, tax
Some work within companies and work internally while others are part of external firms and go in tocompanies to review their accounts for them. Again you'd be able to find better definitions on google.

2) Pay depends if your a trainee in a good city firm you can expect to start off on about £23,000 which will increase as you complete professional exams. However if you are in a smaller firm the starting trainee salary will be less. A newly qualified would probably earn something over £30,000 with higher wage as experience increases.

3) My sister is a trainee accountant and she did Maths, Geography and Business Studies. I think Maths would be very beneficial however I don't think it entirely matters much about the other subjects you take. Just take things you enjoy unless you plan to go to a top uni where 'academic' subjects are preferred.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
I think this is the site you want to look at:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/chartered_accountant_job_description.jsp

Maths is most important A-Level.
I'd disagree with the earlier post that salaries go 'upwards of £75,000 per annum'.
Reply 4
sil3nt_cha0s
1) There are definitions on the internet. Just use Wikipedia or Google.
2) Accountancy is a lucrative profession. I'd say upwards of £75,000 per annum.
3) Maths is the bare essential A Level you need. Stats is fine too. Economics may help and History never hurts.

you may be right but 75 grand sounds like a lot ... can i ask where you got this figure from

Latest