The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Harp35
Hello...

I am coming to the UK this fall for school and wanted to know what people in the UK generally think of Canadians??? Are there any negative stereotypes associated with Canadians that I should be aware of.... don't want to be shocked when I get there.... :s-smilie:

Thanks

I love canadians :biggrin: eh eh eh :P.
I dont think theirs any steriotypes really tbh at all.
Reply 21
Harp35
what people in the UK generally think of Canadians???

We generally don't think about them. :p:

Nah, not really. Although I consider myself British I was born there, so I've had cause to reflect on Anglo-Canadian relations a bit. In reality, Canada's probably one of the closest countries to Britain there is based on common culture, history and so forth.
Reply 22
Generally I find that we struggle quite badly to tell your accents apart from the stereotypical American accent but once we get past that, we get on just fine. Theres a lot of mutual respect and liking for Canadians in the UK, in fact I think politically our governments overlook Canada a bit, I feel we should make more of an effort to strengthen our political relationship with the Canadians, rather than just focusing on the Americans in NA.
Harp35
I'm from Vancouver, BC.... (where the 2010 winter olympics are happening :biggrin:)

Thanks everyone for the input... I'm not as nervous now knowing that I won't be "hated" just because I'm from Canada :biggrin:.....

P.S. I, at times, can't tell the difference from our accent and the accent of northern americans, and I've lived here my whole life... :yes:

My 'rents used to live in Vancouver and they say it's the most amazing place on Earth.

Canadians = slightly less annoying Americans.
Reply 24
I think everyone will ask if you're American, so you may have to get used to that - but once you get past that stage there aren't really any negative stereotypes regarding Canadians in the UK, so you should be fine :smile:
Canadians are Americans without all the bad stuff.
Reply 26
Stereotypically, Canadians are like Americans, but better human beings.

I looooooooooooove Canadians. My ex is Canadian, and so is one of my best friends. I suppose as long as you don't bring in too many Americanisms.
The hockey stereotype, maybe? From my experience with Canadians, the hockey thing seems to be true.
Also the whole "eh" thing, which I know isn't true and I'm sure Scots say it more than Canadians but then again maybe it's more of an East Coast thing, as my boyfriend and friend are from Vancouver? I'm not sure.
You might get things about maple syrup or mooses.
Lumberjacks, even?

They're all the stereotypes that come to mind

As L i b said, Canadian culture and history is quite similar to ours so that shouldn't really be problem.
Reply 28
Nothing really apart from random igloo and polar bear jokes lol
Reply 29
i like the accents of canadains never heard any bad sterotypes about canadaians
Reply 30
no one has a problem with canadians except americans, but don't worry the entire world hates us, so you're better off.
Reply 31
I dunno but I have a Canadian friend - he's pretty cool

Not sure how helpful that is.

Latest

Trending

Trending