The Student Room Group

Could I get away with this?

I got an interview in a couple of days...(Boots)

They said to dress smart...

However I have put on some weight and the trousers I would normally wear doesn't fit me and I don't have any skirts either, could I get away with wearing black jeans?

I plan to wear a smart white shirt which I plan to wear with a black strap top underneath..with hopefully the black jeans

You think this would be a problem?

Hmmm

Scroll to see replies

Speaking as someone who was a manager for several years and did the hiring and firing, yes.

I don't think anyone should turn up for an interview for a job that involves face-to-face contact with the public in jeans.
Reply 2
Not really.

My advice would be to pop down to your 24-hour Asda and get a £6 pair of George trousers (the ones without the zips on the pockets).

The black jeans would look smart with a smart shirt, but not for an interview; it's just not the same.
Reply 3
as long as not too tight, and not faded or anything, and the gold/silver/metal bits are not too obvious its ok.

perhaps go out and but a pair as u have a couple of days?
Reply 4
kinda, jeans are sorta inappropriate for an interview.
i personally wouldn't think its professional enough for an interview, even with a smart shirt
can't you get anywhere to buy a cheap pair of black trousers?
Reply 6
Do NOT wear jeans to an interview. It looks completely unprofessional.
No to the jeans, especially as they told you to dress smart.
Reply 8
No to jeans.
Reply 9
Ahhh, i have the same problem...!

But mine is that the only black smart trousers i have are 3/4 length, dont really think this would be acceptable would it?!

Might have to go to George at asda, if they have some for £6! LOL, saw some lovely ones in Newlook today, but they were grey, dont think Grey's good for an interview either!? :confused:
Reply 10
I work for Boots, and a woman got a job at our store wearing a big woolly cardy thing, lol. My boss is really nice though, unfortunately not all Boots managers are, lol.
Reply 11
Can i come for for your boots?! :biggrin: haha... i'm going to hope everyone else turns up looking less smart, is that mean? lol
XCRUSHESX
I got an interview in a couple of days...(Boots)

They said to dress smart...

However I have put on some weight and the trousers I would normally wear doesn't fit me and I don't have any skirts either, could I get away with wearing black jeans?

I plan to wear a smart white shirt which I plan to wear with a black strap top underneath..with hopefully the black jeans

You think this would be a problem?

Hmmm

I wore black jeans, black heeled boots & smart top to my Sainsburys interview, for similar reasons to yours, & got the job. I guess it varies to whos interviewing you. Mine werent faded & were bootleg, so wasn't any of these drainpipe/skinnys lol
tick.tock
Ahhh, i have the same problem...!

But mine is that the only black smart trousers i have are 3/4 length, dont really think this would be acceptable would it?!

Might have to go to George at asda, if they have some for £6! LOL, saw some lovely ones in Newlook today, but they were grey, dont think Grey's good for an interview either!? :confused:

I'd think smart grey trousers are perfectly fine :smile:

If at all possible I would avoid jeans.
Reply 14
thanks everyone, i found some black trousers :smile:
I wore jeans to an interview. I got the job :indiff:
Reply 16
I wore jeans and a hoody to my interview, and I got the job! Lucky or what?! Well, it was about 8:30pm and I only just got the answerphone message!
Reply 17
Miss Monkey
I'd think smart grey trousers are perfectly fine :smile:

If at all possible I would avoid jeans.

Thanks :smile: I went and ordered them along with a nice bright blue shirt/Blouse.

Now i've just got to wait, errr, just under two weeks! :rolleyes:
caroline147
I wore jeans to an interview. I got the job :indiff:

Yeh it can happen but I think it's best to avoid wearing jeans if possible, just in case!

On the advert for a job I recently had an interview for, it stated that staff in the college are expected to wear suits. I didn't have a suit and couldn't afford to pay a bean for one so I went wearing black trousers, a cream top (not blouse because I recently grew out of mine :frown: ) and a black cardy. The other two candidates turned up in suits. Oh and one came late wearing black trousers and a shirt. I got the job :biggrin: (I'm really proud so some congrats here would be massively appreciated :biggrin: ) But in fairness I was still smart and formal :smile: I think jeans are far too casual.
Reply 19
i wore white jeans to an interview and got a job :smile: only wore them as they were the only trousers that fit me at the time and wasnt going to pay £40 for a pair of black trousers that would fit! (topshop petite is the only range where trousers fit me as im only 4'11)

Latest

Trending

Trending