The Student Room Group

getting A Levels remarked?

How do I know whether I should get my A levels re marked? how far away from the next boundary should I be?
Original post by etonmy
How do I know whether I should get my A levels re marked? how far away from the next boundary should I be?

Hey,

This will really depend, and would probably be best to ask your school/college for advice on your specific situation.

But, generally, if you're within a couple of marks it could be worth the remark. :smile: However, it's worth considering a few things:
- Are you satisfied with your current mark?
- Is your current mark way off what you expected to get?
- Has it negatively impacted your uni application?
- Is the remark worth potential additional time/money/stress?
- It's also worth remembering that whilst the mark could go up, it could also go down/stay the same

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

This will really depend, and would probably be best to ask your school/college for advice on your specific situation.

But, generally, if you're within a couple of marks it could be worth the remark. :smile: However, it's worth considering a few things:
- Are you satisfied with your current mark?
- Is your current mark way off what you expected to get?
- Has it negatively impacted your uni application?
- Is the remark worth potential additional time/money/stress?
- It's also worth remembering that whilst the mark could go up, it could also go down/stay the same

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Natalie

hi Natalie :smile:

I am 8 marks away in one subject and 9 in another.. is it worth it or should I not bother? even if my marks go down im still very far away from the grade below so I don't mind, I just want another chance to get into my uni next year because I'm doing a gap year right now. other than that is there any way to increase my chances of getting a place?
Original post by etonmy

I am 8 marks away in one subject and 9 in another.. is it worth it or should I not bother? even if my marks go down im still very far away from the grade below so I don't mind, I just want another chance to get into my uni next year because I'm doing a gap year right now. other than that is there any way to increase my chances of getting a place?

listen to natalie, probs don't listen to me. 8-9 marks is quite a few marks to get but it's not unheard of, so it's possible. you should definitely consider everything natalie said and talk to your school.

best of luck to you.
Original post by etonmy

Hey,

I think it might be worth it depending on the subject, as you're definitely close and it's not unheard of to gain 8/9 additional marks! Generally speaking - if this is essay-based subjects, the marks are generally more subjective so may be easier to gain those extra marks on a remark, whereas objective marking (in subjects like sciences/maths) may make it harder to gain these additional marks. Again, it's hard to know, but if you think it's possible then its definitely worth it as you're more likely to regret not doing it!

In terms of other ways to improve your uni applications, I'd definitely say doing some form of subject-related experience in your gap year could really support your application! This would help you to stand out alongside other applications next year, even if its just for a short period of time (you could do this through volunteering or paid work). Also, really being able to show significant interest in your chosen degree subject in your personal statement, which you could evidence with additional reading/real-life examples related to your degree course that have made you passionate about the subject. Also discussing how your gap year has better prepared you for uni will help you stand out as well! :smile:

Hope this helps!

Natalie
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by etonmy

You can request a copy of your scripts and ask your school to have a look through them before paying for a review of marking.
any1 heard back from aqa today?
Reply 7
Hey,

I think it might be worth it depending on the subject, as you're definitely close and it's not unheard of to gain 8/9 additional marks! Generally speaking - if this is essay-based subjects, the marks are generally more subjective so may be easier to gain those extra marks on a remark, whereas objective marking (in subjects like sciences/maths) may make it harder to gain these additional marks. Again, it's hard to know, but if you think it's possible then its definitely worth it as you're more likely to regret not doing it!

In terms of other ways to improve your uni applications, I'd definitely say doing some form of subject-related experience in your gap year could really support your application! This would help you to stand out alongside other applications next year, even if its just for a short period of time (you could do this through volunteering or paid work). Also, really being able to show significant interest in your chosen degree subject in your personal statement, which you could evidence with additional reading/real-life examples related to your degree course that have made you passionate about the subject. Also discussing how your gap year has better prepared you for uni will help you stand out as well! :smile:

Hope this helps!

Natalie

Natalie babe you are a godsend 😇
the subjects id get remarked are English literature and music, so i guess they are far more subjective. I already had a lot of stuff on my personal statement but as the degree is law I definitely think doing some kind of volunteering or work experience wld really help :smile: thank you so much !!!!
Original post by etonmy
Natalie babe you are a godsend 😇
the subjects id get remarked are English literature and music, so i guess they are far more subjective. I already had a lot of stuff on my personal statement but as the degree is law I definitely think doing some kind of volunteering or work experience wld really help :smile: thank you so much !!!!

Hahaha no worries, best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
Hey,

Hope this helps!

Natalie

this is all great advice. just like a little add-on with the essay-based subjects, markers are generally looking to give you marks, not take them away (especially with sociology).

Quick Reply

Latest