Original post by swiftmover19
Im in flat 20 too!

Yay finally found someone else! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Anyone in Tennis Courts, Block 6, Flat 35? :smile:
Reply 3983
Original post by NaturalAndReal
This happened to me.

I called them up this morning, and they told me that as I'd applied relatively late (mid march) there were no more self-catered apartments available other than Hunter Court which is en suite and catered but works out more expensive when you budget for food as well...

There's the opportunity to be placed on a transfer waiting list during October, but other than that the only option other than Hunter Court is to look for private accommodation.

Thats so bad, I didn't even think I applied late, I just applied after I had all my offers and ended up choosing birmingham

**** sake... i dont want to be paying extra grand or so when i know how to cook
Original post by YingYang
Thats so bad, I didn't even think I applied late, I just applied after I had all my offers and ended up choosing birmingham

**** sake... i dont want to be paying extra grand or so when i know how to cook

Same issue as me, I got my offer 22nd march and applied 23rd march and I was late applying apparently. Well, I applied even before I had my Id number, I had to call to get the thing! They should take that into consideration and allocate depending on the time lapse from your offer, or when you chose them to when you applied for housing. Now I will really struggle to afford mine!
Reply 3985
I'm in Tennis Courts, Block 18, Flat 111 :smile:
Reply 3986
Original post by Jenniferann232
Same issue as me, I got my offer 22nd march and applied 23rd march and I was late applying apparently. Well, I applied even before I had my Id number, I had to call to get the thing! They should take that into consideration and allocate depending on the time lapse from your offer, or when you chose them to when you applied for housing. Now I will really struggle to afford mine!

It's not an ideal system, but I doubt it can be made "fairer" and simpler.
While you're not obligated to take the offer, if you're worried about money, then there may be some financial support available for you. Along with the usual advice about budgeting, you may also want to consider a part-time job.
Reply 3987
Original post by blablue64
I got Tennis Court Block 18 Flat 106
Really happy as it was my first choice.

I'm also in Block 18... haven't noticed anyone else in this block yet!
hiya i just got my accommodation offer of meal plan at tennis court and was wondering if anyone would be interested in swapping to somewhere self catered? let me know! jasmin :smile:
Original post by uob
It's not an ideal system, but I doubt it can be made "fairer" and simpler.
While you're not obligated to take the offer, if you're worried about money, then there may be some financial support available for you. Along with the usual advice about budgeting, you may also want to consider a part-time job.

A part time job would fix my problem and I have started looking into it. However, because I am studying dentistry I am worried because of the heavy workload and lectures there may not be time for a job as well as relaxing time (which will be needed) and the occasional visit home/Boyf visit. What do you think? :s-smilie:
Reply 3990
Original post by BeckyInTheSkyWithDiamonds
Tennis Court, Block 17, flat 97, room 5! Anyone else in Tennis court/ near?!?! xxxxx

Hi I'm in Block 18! Sort of near? haha
Original post by MsGD
I'm also in Block 18... haven't noticed anyone else in this block yet!

I'm in Block 18 Flat 104 :h:
Reply 3992
Original post by Lou246
block 18 flat 109 :smile: ? xxxx

Of tennis courts? I'm in block 18, but flat 111
Reply 3993
Original post by DellaLouise
I'm in Block 18 Flat 104 :h:

I'm flat 111 :smile:
Reply 3994
[INDENT] Can someone tell me what email address they received their accommodation offer from please?
[/INDENT]
Reply 3995
A part time job would fix my problem and I have started looking into it. However, because I am studying dentistry I am worried because of the heavy workload and lectures there may not be time for a job as well as relaxing time (which will be needed) and the occasional visit home/Boyf visit. What do you think? :s-smilie:

That's certainly a valid concern you're right in saying a part-time job isn't particularly viable. You might be eligible for the Chamberlain Award, or if not, potentially the Access to Learning Fund. I applied to that previously and got a nice grant. On a basic level it looks at your current income and reasonable expenditure (taking into account your rent) and pays you the difference if the expenditure exceeds income.
That's obviously a simplification, so you may want to read more in depth about it here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3996
Victoria Hall, anybody?
Original post by uob
That's certainly a valid concern you're right in saying a part-time job isn't particularly viable. You might be eligible for the Chamberlain Award, or if not, potentially the Access to Learning Fund. I applied to that previously and got a nice grant. On a basic level it looks at your current income and reasonable expenditure (taking into account your rent) and pays you the difference if the expenditure exceeds income.
That's obviously a simplification, so you may want to read more in depth about it here.

I don't recieve a grant from the student finance people but it is obvious this has caused my parents to worry and I am also worried. Am I likely to get help? If I payed for just my accomodation with my loan I would have £100 for the year. My parents are paying for food and travel home and because I can't afford the accomodation they are paying the difference between maple bank and Oakley. This will leave me with £20 a week for laundry, going out etc. but this will put my pare ts under financial strain. Considering it will help my parents do you think I have a shot at getting any help??
Reply 3998
I don't recieve a grant from the student finance people but it is obvious this has caused my parents to worry and I am also worried. Am I likely to get help? If I payed for just my accomodation with my loan I would have £100 for the year. My parents are paying for food and travel home and because I can't afford the accomodation they are paying the difference between maple bank and Oakley. This will leave me with £20 a week for laundry, going out etc. but this will put my pare ts under financial strain. Considering it will help my parents do you think I have a shot at getting any help??

From what I remember, money you receive from your parents counts as income, which would lower the amount you were potentially eligible for. Just something to bear in mind.
One of the key issues with the whole student finance system is that, if your parents income is over a certain level, you receive less or no grant, but that doesn't automatically mean your parents have the means to give you that money you would have otherwise received.

Certainly those numbers illustrate the tight financial position you will be in, but I don't want to say "yes you will get £X amount of funding".
Speak to the student funding office about your situation and they'll run through the options available to you.
Original post by uob
From what I remember, money you receive from your parents counts as income, which would lower the amount you were potentially eligible for. Just something to bear in mind.
One of the key issues with the whole student finance system is that, if your parents income is over a certain level, you receive less or no grant, but that doesn't automatically mean your parents have the means to give you that money you would have otherwise received.

Certainly those numbers illustrate the tight financial position you will be in, but I don't want to say "yes you will get £X amount of funding".
Speak to the student funding office about your situation and they'll run through the options available to you.

Yes, that is exactly what my parents said when I was applying for my loan, that 'how can we pay the difference?' I might give them a call maybe they will be open tomorrow? If not it will definitely be something I do when I arrive! I'd hate to cause my parents to have to work loads, my mum would have to work 6 days a week! I hope that this will help out a little bit because it's not fair for my mum and dad and I want them to be able to live as they do now, they didn't decide to go to uni it was me who wanted to go :smile: so thanks very much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending