The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

dom111
Im applying for GEP at Southampton and Newcatsle.
But think that maybe I will also apply for 5 year courses at Kings and Aberdeen.

Is 655 good enough for this? (Note I know its not really good enough for Kings GEP but am hoping that it will be ok for th 5 year.) ????

I remember reading somewhere that King's rarely interview people below 670 unless you have a very high number of A*s at GCSE.
dom111
Thanks mate:smile: I would defo have taken that score before I went in, but am a little disappointed that my VR score brought the average down. Still made up though.

Im applying for Southampton, Kings, Newcastle and then Keele.
Glad to have the test outta the way! :cool: get me bronze on from now till September!

Well done!! Be careful with Newcastle, their cut off last year was 640, rumour has it it'll be about 670 for our year? Might be wrong but just to warn you, having a good UKCAT is the ONLY way you get an interview there!! Ahhh so annoying!!
BeekieBoo
Well done!! Be careful with Newcastle, their cut off last year was 640, rumour has it it'll be about 670 for our year? Might be wrong but just to warn you, having a good UKCAT is the ONLY way you get an interview there!! Ahhh so annoying!!

Where did you hear about that? I thought the cut-offs depend on how good the scores of the candidates are. :s-smilie:
Ofcourse as people get more info on UKCAT etc. they will generally do better but it is still hard to predict what a cut-off will be. You can only get an idea from previous years.
InItToWinItGetIt?
Where did you hear about that? I thought the cut-offs depend on how good the scores of the candidates are. :s-smilie:
Ofcourse as people get more info on UKCAT etc. they will generally do better but it is still hard to predict what a cut-off will be. You can only get an idea from previous years.

I didn't hear it from anybody official, hence the rumour. Just things going around between people. It won't necessarily be higher, more people are applying to Medicine so probably more people will be totally unprepared for the UKCAT. But the way Newcastle have the cut off depends on how many applicants there are, so with more applicants there will be a higher range of scores, as well as a lower range. But it would make sense for it to be higher.
Either way I can't be sure, just rumour going around near where I live.
Reply 1584
sc0307
Has anyone heard of the Pure Potential Events held at a few unis? Has anyone been to any of these before and are these worthwhile going to and putting on your ps'?

I wewnt last year. at mine they had talks specifically for medicine applicants/ interview talks so I used it as an eg of how I had found about what it was like to be a dr. also their website gives interview/ ps tips so worth going if you have the time.
Reply 1585
BeekieBoo
Ok, so I haven't had an operation I can talk about, none of my family have anything to do with medicine, nobody close to me has some awful condition I know about and I haven't had some sort of near death experience that made me interested in Medicine. I though about starting my personal statement with something really stupid I did just so I could go to a hospital when I was like 8? But I've been told starting with a memory is a really bad idea? Any advice on what makes a good opening sentence, I don't want to start with I want to do Medicine because ...

show that you have thought about it/ considered alternatives ( if you say its coz of science, they say why not biomed etc/ if you say its to care or help others, they can ask why not a nurse).
show you know a bit about what it entails and how that makes you want to do it. I started by saying I got hooked on anatomy after I saw an embalming and then went to some lectures about diseases/ a medicine taster course. say what it is that led you to medicine.
have you read any of the books about medicine ps? they don't tell you what to put as it must be from you but they give guidance on what could be cliched. (though most people will have similar reasons anyway). pm me if I can help.
Reply 1586
ramzy91
Thankss :smile:

If you could tell me/message me you're profile I could help?

But the way I applied:

I chose Queen Mary's because they interviewed everyone with a decent UKCAT score and there was a good chance that you will be made an offer at the interview stage, higher then most uni. My UKCAT was 672.5 and their cut off was something 665.

I chose St. G because they interviwed everyone if you are predicted AAA at A Level. This way I knew I was garunteed a shot at Med School, if I was turned away without interview every where else at least I would have St. G

I Chose Leicester, becuase i needed an AAB uni. Just Incase. Leicester score each component of youre application at 25% to select you for interview..Eg. Personal Statement, UKCAT, Academics and Reference. Since all of my UKCAT was above 600 I knew I would get 4/5 (If all were above 500 then youd stilll get 3/5) and my acedmics would be 5/5 (relativly low acadmic levels needed to get top score) so I thought I would have a fairly good shot at getting an interview.

Kings College was the only 'big risk' uni I chose. Because they get 6000 applicants (god knows why). My UKCAT of 672.5 was relativly average/below average compared to the pool of applicants so I would not be selected for interview based on my UKCAT. But my GCSEs were 10A*s and 1A, so I was invited based on that. (I think you need a score above 700 to be invited based on you're UKCAT and not GCSE). But at the interview stage they give 50% of people of applicants an offer, so it isnt that bad once you get an interview..

Hope that helps! :smile:

same ukcat score as me. I chose Newcastle and Manchester as wanted to stay in north and they would interview me based on my ukcat too. took a long time to decide on others but used a chart to work out where else I'd have a good chance at.
other people far smarter than me were unlucky/didn't apply smart and got no interviews. when I started off I thought all unis would want the same things! how naive I was
Reply 1587
BeekieBoo
I didn't hear it from anybody official, hence the rumour. Just things going around between people. It won't necessarily be higher, more people are applying to Medicine so probably more people will be totally unprepared for the UKCAT. But the way Newcastle have the cut off depends on how many applicants there are, so with more applicants there will be a higher range of scores, as well as a lower range. But it would make sense for it to be higher.
Either way I can't be sure, just rumour going around near where I live.

for ugrad newcastle was 610 cut-off in 09 but jumped to 648 in 2010- they were very surprised but said it was probably as lots with high scores applied as knew they would get interview. not sure if GEP is the same so check posts from last yearts gep applicants to be sure
conorcd
show that you have thought about it/ considered alternatives ( if you say its coz of science, they say why not biomed etc/ if you say its to care or help others, they can ask why not a nurse).
show you know a bit about what it entails and how that makes you want to do it. I started by saying I got hooked on anatomy after I saw an embalming and then went to some lectures about diseases/ a medicine taster course. say what it is that led you to medicine.
have you read any of the books about medicine ps? they don't tell you what to put as it must be from you but they give guidance on what could be cliched. (though most people will have similar reasons anyway). pm me if I can help.

Reply 1589
Wow, I hadn't revisited my thread in agesss! :smile:
Is anyone doing an open university course? x
w04andia
Wow, I hadn't revisited my thread in agesss! :smile:
Is anyone doing an open university course? x

:yep:
Its one of the short science courses, "Molecules, Medicines & Drugs: A History". Suprisingly interesting if I'm honest :p:
Reply 1591
(Online)
:yep:
Its one of the short science courses, "Molecules, Medicines & Drugs: A History". Suprisingly interesting if I'm honest :p:

Yay! I'm doing this one :smile:
Reply 1592
Trying to write a decent start to my PS = instant writer's block. This made me lol though.
hello people
well heres the situation :confused:
i have done my A levels accounting business economics maths
i will most probably get AABB or if im lucky AAAB in that order
i WAS going to study economics and maths at keele
but after very very deep thinking i have decided i want to go into medicine
i have been doing voluntary work for more then a year at a local youth club, i have 2 years work experience with my local GP, i have a weeks experience at anursing home
if my grades are what i expect them to be i plan to wihtdraw my application from keele and apply for medicine foundation courses and a foundation course in clinical sciences at bradford
so the question is fellow tsr-ians ? do u think its the right thing to do?
would u do the same if u were in my position?
is it worth it for me to apply for this?

my original original aim was medicine but due to family pressure they made me do financial stuffa at A level and after very deep thinking im realising medicine is more for me

please help im very confused
also i do not wish to take an extra year to sit a level bio and chem because to be frank im not much for wasting another year
p.s will not startin keele be held against me if i apply at keele?
i have no name
hello people
well heres the situation
i have done my A levels accounting business economics maths
i will most probably get AABB or if im lucky AAAB in that order
i WAS going to study economics and maths at keele
but after very very deep thinking i have decided i want to go into medicine
i have been doing voluntary work for more then a year at a local youth club, i have 2 years work experience with my local GP, i have a weeks experience at anursing home
if my grades are what i expect them to be i plan to wihtdraw my application from keele and apply for medicine foundation courses and a foundation course in clinical sciences at bradford
so the question is fellow tsr-ians ? do u think its the right thing to do?
would u do the same if u were in my position?
is it worth it for me to apply for this?

my original original aim was medicine but due to family pressure they made me do financial stuffa at A level and after very deep thinking im realising medicine is more for me

please help im very confused

p.s will not startin keele be held against me if i apply at keele?

I would probably take a year out and do accelerated chemistry and biology A levels.
fortysixandtwo
I would probably take a year out and do accelerated chemistry and biology A levels.

but isnt it much easier to get into foundation year?? then the actual medicine course?
i have no name
but isnt it much easier to get into foundation year?? then the actual medicine course?

I don't know anything about foundation entry, sorry.
Reply 1597
i have no name

----
Organ
No, I believe it's more difficult.

well no, you're guaranteed a placement in your foundation years so it is easier than getting into med school essentially. Specialty training is a whole different matter though.
gildartz
well no, you're guaranteed a placement in your foundation years so it is easier than getting into med school essentially. Specialty training is a whole different matter though.

dude have a look at my thread and tell me what should i do then? :eek3:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending