The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ArkhamAsylum
Its not the official app. The Facebook cheifs actually criticised Android and were heard saying it is an irrelevant platform. BBC failed to cater to it despite making Blackberry/iPhone apps and there are a few other occassions of developers ignoring Android.

Looking at my HTC Android now - erm, it's whole platform is efficiently catered for 2 primary social sites: Facebook and Twitter. I suggest you take a look.

As for the BBC player - yep, that's an app on my Hero as well! You know what's great about the Hero Android - it has Flash; something which the iPhone lacks. So bring on all flash content please :biggrin:
Reply 81
Oh - massive thumbs up for the Layers Application and Co-Pilot (both of which are free if you know where to look :wink: )
Né Stig
Looking at my HTC Android now - erm, it's whole platform is efficiently catered for 2 primary social sites: Facebook and Twitter. I suggest you take a look.

As for the BBC player - yep, that's an app on my Hero as well! You know what's great about the Hero Android - it has Flash; something which the iPhone lacks. So bring on all flash content please :biggrin:

You'll have the Beeb Player and Fbook. They're not official apps like you see on the Iphone/Blackberry.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
but you get the gay tmobile logo instead of htc :frown:

Why is it a gay logo? Does it only like logo's of the same sex? :confused:
Reply 84
ArkhamAsylum

Yes the t in the logo erects to a big T whenever it sees another one.
Reply 85
ArkhamAsylum
You'll have the Beeb Player and Fbook. They're not official apps like you see on the Iphone/Blackberry.

Doesn't matter whether it's official or not. I have the iPlayer app and I also have a very user-friendly Facebook app - far better than the iPhone.

Oh - that T-Mobile logo is so annoying, hence why I got the Orange version instead and unlocked it and changed the rear cover.
Né Stig
Doesn't matter whether it's official or not. I have the iPlayer app and I also have a very user-friendly Facebook app - far better than the iPhone.

Oh - that T-Mobile logo is so annoying, hence why I got the Orange version instead and unlocked it and changed the rear cover.

Of course it matters that it isn't official. Firstly, the Beeb player is nowhere near the quality of the iPlayer app and even the creators of Fbook admitted they can't make a good of an app without input from Facebook.

Also, it shows that companies are ignoring the Android platform as they are actively making official apps for other smartphone formats such as iPhone and Blackberry. Who knows what apps we'll miss out on in the future.
ArkhamAsylum

It's gay because it's not a tmobile phone, it's an htc phone :p:
ArkhamAsylum
Of course it matters that it isn't official. Firstly, the Beeb player is nowhere near the quality of the iPlayer app and even the creators of Fbook admitted they can't make a good of an app without input from Facebook.

Also, it shows that companies are ignoring the Android platform as they are actively making official apps for other smartphone formats such as iPhone and Blackberry. Who knows what apps we'll miss out on in the future.

Ok I'm going to have add my comments to this!

Google Android is a relatively new OS with far less users than the Blackberry and the Apple iPhone but it is growing fast as each day passes with more and more phones coming out which runs on Android and the HTC Hero fueled by the media has created a massive hype for this phone as well as for Android.

As soon as it becomes even more popular (When released in the USA) I feel that it will be taken seriously especially when the demand is so great that it cannot simply be ignored and scraped under the carpet.

- The Beeb Player itself is rubbish when compared to the iPhone which runs BBC iPlayer directly through its own website and NOT through an app. But I am confident that BBC iPlayer will run natively once Flash 10 is released sometime in the near future!
Who gives a flying **** about apps being developed officially or not?

When we get Flash 10, we won't need half these apps anyway, as we'll have full fledged internet.

Now stop bitching people. And I swear if I see one more person use gay in a derogatory manner one more time...
i love this phone and the update may have just cemented my decision of a phone for my birthday
Posting from my new HTC hero and I can now.safely. say I'm glad I made this decision over the iPhone so much better
Posting from my new HTC hero and I can now.safely. say I'm glad I made this decision over the iPhone so much better

have you got the update? is the update out yet?
wizard710
have you got the update? is the update out yet?

Absolutely no idea sorry

:grin:

Good call! What swayed you in the end?
ArkhamAsylum

I may have had something to do with that... :biggrin:

Edit: posting on hero now
ArkhamAsylum

mikeyd85
I may have had something to do with that... :biggrin:

Edit: posting on hero now

that guy XD

nah seriously though, the hero just seems much more functionable and useful as a phone and organiser. I kind of realised that the iphone was just full of gimmicks (look at the app store - there are apps for 99 names of allah lol why would you need that) and any useful app, appears on the android market anyways so i'm not missing much. Prefer the keyboard so much more and the complete layout. Doesn't lag which is a huge bonus for me. Need to get a new SD card though

well worth it though

although it's not possible to sync up any of my email adresses (due to me not having any pop3 ones) which is kinda annoying lol but ah well, created a Gmail one should i need to email
IcEmAn911

- The Beeb Player itself is rubbish when compared to the iPhone which runs BBC iPlayer directly through its own website and NOT through an app. But I am confident that BBC iPlayer will run natively once Flash 10 is released sometime in the near future!

i personally find that it does the job amazingly regardless of how it's presented and even then, the presentation isn't bad
i personally find that it does the job amazingly regardless of how it's presented and even then, the presentation isn't bad

For me it will do for the time being until it can run directly offer the BBC website in outstanding quality, as outstanding as downloading a video off the internet and convert it into mp4 then playing it on the Hero... the quality just blows my mind!!! especially when I was watching Formula One on it!

Actually this brings me on to say:

Videora iPod Converter > Convert AVI. to MP4 using iPod Touch 2nd Generation settings, Quality is Superb!!! Mind-Blowing even!! :smile:
Whatever happened to the Samsung I7500? It's been "due" for months. I heard it was going to be exclusive on O2 - but nothing on their UK site.

Latest

Trending

Trending