The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Basically I can open it etc but it just won't downloading although when I am clicking on install it just says starting but it never does.

=/
Reply 1381
Finally flashed my phone to 1.6. Forgot to back up my texts first :frown:
G8D
Texts just lag Android phones.
As long as I back up my numbers I don't care about texts :P

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=684654

I'm just about to flash this one. Using v1.2 atm, best 2.1 ROM I've ever used.
G8D
Can it run at 710MHz?

EDIT: NVM it can, I'll give it a whirl later, tell me if the Market works fully :h:

V1.2 did, for paid and free apps, for 1.5 - 2.1 :smile:

Edit: So far 710Mhz is looking quite good.
Think I may stay with Kimera in the end tbh. I love it's blistering pace. :yep:
I just got my first Android phone today. I'm disappointed with the Facebook application because it doesn't let me customise statuses. I like to hide my statuses from family members and the app doesn't appear to have any options other than to type in a status and publish it. Is there a way to fix this or a better Facebook app?
Sephiroth
I just got my first Android phone today. I'm disappointed with the Facebook application because it doesn't let me customise statuses. I like to hide my statuses from family members and the app doesn't appear to have any options other than to type in a status and publish it. Is there a way to fix this or a better Facebook app?

Pretty sure if thats the setting on your computer, it's logged as that in your phone...
Disconfigured
Pretty sure if thats the setting on your computer, it's logged as that in your phone...

That's the problem. It uses the default settings. The default settings for statuses are useless since Facebook merged the privacy settings to make them "simpler". You can't just hide statuses from certain people by default, you have to hide your entire wall and that's no good. To get around that you have to customise each status individually, which phone apps don't seem to allow.

I've found a way to access the full version of Facebook via a browser which should let me do what I want, but I need to download the Dolphin browser. I have an exam tomorrow and Friday so I'm going to wait until the weekend to play around with it all.
Sephiroth
That's the problem. It uses the default settings. The default settings for statuses are useless since Facebook merged the privacy settings to make them "simpler". You can't just hide statuses from certain people by default, you have to hide your entire wall and that's no good. To get around that you have to customise each status individually, which phone apps don't seem to allow.

I've found a way to access the full version of Facebook via a browser which should let me do what I want, but I need to download the Dolphin browser. I have an exam tomorrow and Friday so I'm going to wait until the weekend to play around with it all.

What phone have you got?
wizard710
What phone have you got?

The Pulse Mini.

I don't even have the time to find out how to set up T-Mobile's free internet and texts right now so switched the thing off so I can revise.
Sephiroth

Get Opera browser :wink:

Also, I never use the FB app, it's really badly made. Hopefully a new one should come into play soon..
I usually use the mobile site on my browser. Though I'm sure I've hidden everything I do from my family, so this specifically doesn't concern me.
Disconfigured
Get Opera browser :wink:

Also, I never use the FB app, it's really badly made. Hopefully a new one should come into play soon..
I usually use the mobile site on my browser. Though I'm sure I've hidden everything I do from my family, so this specifically doesn't concern me.

I don't see the point of hiding my whole wall, just wish Facebook hadn't dumbed down the settings in December or whenever. I dread to think what they're implementing tomorrow when they change them. :frown:

The reason I mentioned Dolphin is it has an option to spook the device name that's connecting, so I can pretend my phone is a desktop and see the full Facebook site. Facebook redirects me if it detects my phone. I don't know if Opera has that capability but it;s essential for this.
Sephiroth
I don't see the point of hiding my whole wall, just wish Facebook hadn't dumbed down the settings in December or whenever. I dread to think what they're implementing tomorrow when they change them. :frown:

The reason I mentioned Dolphin is it has an option to spook the device name that's connecting, so I can pretend my phone is a desktop and see the full Facebook site. Facebook redirects me if it detects my phone. I don't know if Opera has that capability but it;s essential for this.

I can view the whole site with Opera..
Go on the mobile site, scroll down to the bottom and it says "full site" and "touch site" :smile:
Disconfigured
I can view the whole site with Opera..
Go on the mobile site, scroll down to the bottom and it says "full site" and "touch site" :smile:

Oh right, might try that then. So what's the name of the browser that comes pre-installed?

Edit: That didn't work, the only link is "touch site". Same issue as the browser pre-installed. Pretending to be a desktop with Dolphin is probably the only way. Will try that now. I should be revising. >.<
Sephiroth
Oh right, might try that then. So what's the name of the browser that comes pre-installed?

Edit: That didn't work, the only link is "touch site". Same issue as the browser pre-installed. Pretending to be a desktop with Dolphin is probably the only way. Will try that now. I should be revising. >.<

Just the general Android browser I assume.. I never use it. It's too slow.
Odd, I wonder why the option isn't there for you :s-smilie:

Revising? After 4 years I still don't know how :woo:
Reply 1395
Meh, gave up on waiting and downloaded VillainRom 6.

Got 2.1... got navigation... got other goodies. All happy for now :smile:
Disconfigured
Just the general Android browser I assume.. I never use it. It's too slow.
Odd, I wonder why the option isn't there for you :s-smilie:

Revising? After 4 years I still don't know how :woo:

Dolphin worked for me. I just cloned the user agent for a desktop or an iPhone and it let me access the full Facebook. But for some reason desktop was too buggy to post a status. iPhone seems to work better, even though it's accessing the same page.
Sephiroth
Dolphin worked for me. I just cloned the user agent for a desktop or an iPhone and it let me access the full Facebook. But for some reason desktop was too buggy to post a status. iPhone seems to work better, even though it's accessing the same page.

You can untick the option "Mobile View" in the default browser to do this too. :smile: Though I prefer Dolphin. Tried Dolphin HD on 2.1 at one point, was nice.

matt7
Meh, gave up on waiting and downloaded VillainRom 6.

Got 2.1... got navigation... got other goodies. All happy for now :smile:

Cronos is a better ROM. :smile: That guy is one hell of a coder.
mikeyd85
You can untick the option "Mobile View" in the default browser to do this too. :smile: Though I prefer Dolphin. Tried Dolphin HD on 2.1 at one point, was nice.

I can't seem to find that setting in the default browser but I think Dolphin will be fine.

I'm tempted to write an Android app myself since there doesn't seem to be a Facebook status updating app that lets you set privacy on each status. Something for the summer lol. With all the recent cries about privacy you'd think one would exist by now. I guess using default settings works for most people however.
One of the head people responsible for android has left and gone to facebook so one day soon we may see a better facebook application :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending