The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 1
I think (and I may be wrong here) you can study as many credits as you like. However, every level of an honours degree is 120 credits. So 120 credits is "full time" study. So I really wouldn't recommend studying more than that (and it may be the case they don't allow it anyway). Even studying full time, with a full time job if you have one, will be a huge struggle.

But you can certainly study up to 120. You may be able to take level two and one at the same time, but will need to make sure you have prepared adequately for the level two course (any relevant level one modules that may be a help). Sorry, I've explained that really craply. I'm a bit tired at the moment so will try and rephrase it later.

Have you booked and appointment to see an OU adviser? There may also be drop in sessions in your local area. They are the best people to ask.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
River85
I think (and I may be wrong here) you can study as many credits as you like. However, every level of an honours degree is 120 credits. So 120 credits is "full time" study. So I really wouldn't recommend studying more than that (and it may be the case they don't allow it anyway). Even studying full time, with a full time job if you have one, will be a huge struggle.

But you can certainly study up to 120. You may be able to take level two and one at the same time, but will need to make sure you have prepared adequately for the level two course (any relevant level one modules that may be a help). Sorry, I've explained that really craply. I'm a bit tired at the moment so will try and rephrase it later.

Have you booked and appointment to see an OU adviser? There may also be drop in sessions in your local area. They are the best people to ask.

Thanks river, I will probably try speak to an advisor today.
The maximum you can take at any one time is 120 points. They make exceptions for slight overlaps when courses start and end if I remember rightly, but other than that you are limited to 120. And for good reason, 120 points is a lot of work.

You can do courses of level 1, 2 or 3 simultaneously if you desire. Unless you're coming straight from another university degree they recommend you start at level 1 or 2. Also you have to take into account that some courses follow on from each other so it is worth checking you're doing things in the right order.
Reply 4
SunburnedCactus
The maximum you can take at any one time is 120 points. They make exceptions for slight overlaps when courses start and end if I remember rightly, but other than that you are limited to 120. And for good reason, 120 points is a lot of work.

You can do courses of level 1, 2 or 3 simultaneously if you desire. Unless you're coming straight from another university degree they recommend you start at level 1 or 2. Also you have to take into account that some courses follow on from each other so it is worth checking you're doing things in the right order.

Thanks a lot, very much appreciated.
Reply 5
I'm going for 120 this year. Try and obtain the study books first, get ahead with the reading... that's my plan.

More than 120... only allowed in exceptional cases as I understand, perhaps if you were resitting or something? But I don't think recommended, as what's the point if you technically get the points, but the grade suffers because of the work involved?
Reply 6
junko
I'm going for 120 this year. Try and obtain the study books first, get ahead with the reading... that's my plan.

More than 120... only allowed in exceptional cases as I understand, perhaps if you were resitting or something? But I don't think recommended, as what's the point if you technically get the points, but the grade suffers because of the work involved?

Reason asked is, I was looking to complete 360 points within 2 years - and I am not sure how much credit transfer will cover for (i.e. if it covered full 120 points, it would be fine, 2 years 240, but if it fell short says 90, it would seem pretty wasteful for an extra year for just 30 credits).
Credit transfer can cover up to a maximum of 240 points, depending how much and what you've already done.

Latest