The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open university credit transfer

I have just completed my first year full time with the open university, and I'm looking at using those credits to apply to my local university for this September. The issue is that, while I'm pretty sure I'll pass, my grades are a bit shite due to various unfortunate circumstances this year. My question is do the universities look at the individual grades you got, or do they just look at whether you got the credits?
Just whether you got the credits I believe.

I'm in the process of a credit transfer from Leeds Uni over to the Open University. They've just talked about how many credits I have, not the grades I achieved, so I think if you've only completed 1 year, the grades don't really matter.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Aimeebow
I have just completed my first year full time with the open university, and I'm looking at using those credits to apply to my local university for this September. The issue is that, while I'm pretty sure I'll pass, my grades are a bit shite due to various unfortunate circumstances this year. My question is do the universities look at the individual grades you got, or do they just look at whether you got the credits?

Each university will be different. If you are using the OU modules in place of entry requirements then they may ask for a specific grade to be achieved-or they may just ask that they are completed.
Some universities don’t accept them in place of standard entry requirements at all.
If you are using them to credit transfer into second year (which is more rare depending on the university and the course) they may be more likely to require a certain grade achievement.
Ask your university that you wish to apply to what their own procedure is.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Just whether you got the credits I believe.

I'm in the process of a credit transfer from Leeds Uni over to the Open University. They've just talked about how many credits I have, not the grades I achieved, so I think if you've only completed 1 year, the grades don't really matter.

That is the procedure for transferring To the OU and not from the OU to another institution- but yes, the OU credit transfer system requires only that they are completed credits and not a grade.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GabiAbi84
That is the procedure for transferring To the OU and not from the OU to another institution- but yes, the OU credit transfer system requires only that they are completed credits and not a grade.

Ah I assumed a credit transfer system would work in the same way regardless of where you are transferring to and from. I stand corrected then.
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
Each university will be different. If you are using the OU modules in place of entry requirements then they may ask for a specific grade to be achieved-or they may just ask that they are completed.
Some universities don’t accept them in place of standard entry requirements at all.
If you are using them to credit transfer into second year (which is more rare depending on the university and the course) they may be more likely to require a certain grade achievement.
Ask your university that you wish to apply to what their own procedure is.

Good morning,

I know I’m late to the party here but I’m in a similar situation, at the OU about to sit my second year exams which will be 240 credits completed. Will I be able to transfer to a brick uni for the start of second year. I have no A-Levels and have been studying at a rate of 120 credits a year.

Quick Reply

Latest