The Student Room Group

What does "A mark of 0 will be given" mean?

I'm from the American system so I am a little confused, I have a special circumstance validated and I thought that with the SC application I had until the drop boxed closed to submit my work, which would then be marked normally but given a 0 with the late penalty, until the board of examiners reviewed my application and (hopefully) removed the 0 late penalty, leaving me with the marked score (ie. 65) as my final official grade. However, I just saw this thing that said work submitted over a week late (which I am now) will not be marked and will be given a zero, which is different than what I thought, as in this case there would be no way for the BoE to remove the late penalty and give me the higher mark, as there would be no higher mark it would just all be a 0.

Does anyone have any input as to which one it actually it?

tldr: I have a validated special circumstance, if I submit work over a week late can I get a mark above 0?
Reply 1
By validated special circumstance do you mean you successfuly got an extension?
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
By validated special circumstance do you mean you successfuly got an extension?

I had an extension for the first week it was late, then applied for a special circumstance to have the late penalties removed after turning them in since I will be turning them in past the extension deadline. My confusion is that the thing I read today said that work turned in this late will not be marked at all, but that was not said explicitly anywhere else and I met with my student advisor before applying for special circumstances and they didn't say that either.
Reply 3
This is probably because it's now deemed to be a non-submission and non-submissions are automatically fails / 0%
You will most likely have to go back and ask that the approval for a late submission be reconsidered for a non-submission which, if further approved, will mean that when you eventually submit in the resit period, will be given an uncapped grade.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you for your response, just wondering

1) do you happen to have any idea when the resit exam period is for semester 2 classes
2) thoughts on why I can still technically submit the paper even though it will be counted as a non-submission?
Original post by cheadle
This is probably because it's now deemed to be a non-submission and non-submissions are automatically fails / 0%
You will most likely have to go back and ask that the approval for a late submission be reconsidered for a non-submission which, if further approved, will mean that when you eventually submit in the resit period, will be given an uncapped grade.
Reply 5
Speak to your tutor - or your departments senior tutor for clarity.

Resit assessments are usually the end of august / 1st week in September.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your response, just wondering

1) do you happen to have any idea when the resit exam period is for semester 2 classes
2) thoughts on why I can still technically submit the paper even though it will be counted as a non-submission?

Resits will usually be August.
You may still be able to submit because that's just how the submission area has been set up. Usually lates are accepted and if no cut off date has been entered, the site will just keep accepting but the grade centre that marks are sent to will record it as 0%.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
That's a good point, I just find it a little odd that they would allow students to submit work for three weeks (submission box closes after three weeks from original deadline) but we can only get credit for submitting in the first two weeks lol
Original post by cheadle
Resits will usually be August.
You may still be able to submit because that's just how the submission area has been set up. Usually lates are accepted and if no cut off date has been entered, the site will just keep accepting but the grade centre that marks are sent to will record it as 0%.
Reply 8
That is a bit odd. It may be to accommodate people with student support plans? There will be an administrative reason for it probably.
Reply 9
Original post by cheadle
That is a bit odd. It may be to accommodate people with student support plans? There will be an administrative reason for it probably.

This is usually the reason, in my experience.
Reply 10
So just to double check- is it standard at UK uni's that you can only get credit for stuff turned in the first two week (if the first first week is extension)?
Original post by gjd800
This is usually the reason, in my experience.
Reply 11
So just to double check- is it standard at UK uni's that you can only get credit for stuff turned in the first two week (if the first first week is extension)?

An extension will have an expiry date which is separate to the final 'closing' date of the submission portal. In short, the portal closing date is different to the submission date, and ought not factor into any decision making when submitting.

Nothing like this is standard at UK unis, the language, the tolerances and the procedures all vary. You need to read and understand your own specific uni and course approach to these issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending