The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Neo Con
They want to establish an Islamic Caliphate over the world, because that is what the Quran preaches, one government with Shariya law.

Small areas in the west with high muslim populations are demanding shariya style courts, divorce rules e.t.c They despite the western system.

I know, and Islam is a dangerous religion, Islamification especially is a problem. Fighting terrorists in Afkanistan however won't solve any problems.
Reply 81
Harris
Not at all...terrorist blow up kindergardens, planes and hide weapons in hospitals to inflict maximum damage on both sides.

All Im suggesting is that instead of capturing a terrorist for a drawn out trial you just kill them right there on the battlefield.

Because you clearly dont understand what a war is, how your moral compass needs major fixing, mixed with your Liberal utopian view on the world, I feel that I can rest my case.

Don't rest it just yet, kid!

I know what a war is mate and it's about looking after your own interests and not giving a **** about anything else. Nations have been doing it since time immemorial. Just don't think you're somehow different. Me not understand war!

Terrorists also impose their imperialism on to nations, poke their noses into nations under lies to their own to gain control of resources and keep the petrodollar world going through strategic influence on a region.

I think you're making the assumption that these terrorists are somehow morally above the other ones. Flawed assumption. The slight difference is that one side is fighting an occupation in an immoral way while the other is led by immoral people and are fighting a war for politicians.

Both = *****
Reply 82
Aeolus
So you advocate terrorism to fight... terrorism? If so, what moral ground do you have to stand on?

And what do you know about war, because this is in no way a war against terrorism otherwise the whole of the westwing and the pentagon would have been convicted of it by now. This war is purely to secure US and western interests.

:yes: Hell yeah.

I don't understand why cons just can't admit that! It's a primitive human movement to consume and move on and want more without much of a moral compass.
Reply 83
Terrorfication
You are being too politcally correct in regards to this.

You still deserve Human rights if all you have done is disregarded Human Rights when handling someone who does not deserve them (Hitler, Mugabe, Saddam)

It's nothing about political correctness, mate, it's simple logic. If you claim that people who disregard human rights should have their human rights ignored, then that logic dictates that Americans should have theirs ignored.

Furthermore, the entire thing was started by America sticking their noses in the Middle East and messing about where they weren't wanted. The attacks on 9/11 weren't so much a Muslim terrorist attack for Islam, but a Muslim attack by an army who wish to see the end of American imperialism in the Middle East. This war was caused by America, so they can't pull the moral high ground here.
Reply 84
Hylean
It's nothing about political correctness, mate, it's simple logic. If you claim that people who disregard human rights should have their human rights ignored, then that logic dictates that Americans should have theirs ignored.

Furthermore, the entire thing was started by America sticking their noses in the Middle East and messing about where they weren't wanted. The attacks on 9/11 weren't so much a Muslim terrorist attack for Islam, but a Muslim attack by an army who wish to see the end of American imperialism in the Middle East. This war was caused by America, so they can't pull the moral high ground here.

silly terrorist goose.
Hylean

They can because I believe that nearly everything that George Bush "meddled" with in the Middle East was justified and needed.
Reply 86
Neo Con
Lol that definitely wasn't my reason for not executing them all. I think they should all be tried individually and by a just military court. Some of them are chief plotters and financers, others foot soldiers who are still dangerous.

Each case needs to be heard carefully. I would definitely execute the top guys, forget hearts and minds, ever heard of justice :rolleyes:

Foot soldiers, possible execution, depends what crimes they exactly committed, age of indoctrination, future threat e.t.c

I remember some Arabic American guy shot dead few CIA employees in the states and then went to eat at McDonalds. When he noticed that they had failed to get his number plate he fled to Pakistan then Afghanistan.

A reward of $2 million was put on his head and eventually he was captured by FBI agents who lured him into a peshawar hotel, he was then bound and blind folded and taken back "home".

The Pakistani govt said do not execute him, it will win over hearts and minds, needless to say the sentence of the court was carried out. (execution) It sent out a strong message of consequences of attacking innocent people.

He had a few banana's as a final meal I think. I don't know why I remember this case so much. :biggrin:

You bring up a time when an American citizen comitted a crime against other American citizens on American soil, and after being captured was tried in an American criminal court and was served the punishment asked for by American law. Not that many hearts and minds to win in this case tbh. I also note that you have stopped talking about torture.
Reply 87
kultist
You bring up a time when an American citizen comitted a crime against other American citizens on American soil, and after being captured was tried in an American criminal court and was served the punishment asked for by American law. Not that many hearts and minds to win in this case tbh. I also note that you have stopped talking about torture.

It wasn't anything to do with your neg rep lecture on waterboarding if that is why you are feeling high and mighty.

I have explained how I feel about the issue and I feel it requires no more input from me. I am happy in this situation and the circumstances that were present, it saved innocent lives. Innocent Human Life is precious and thousands of people live on due to stress techniques being adopted.

There is no pleasing hypocrites like you. If thousands more died in a terrorist plot (not that you value their lives unless it was your family) you would be one of the first people to do a peaceful protest saying why didn't the govt apply more pressure on Khalid who was in custody. Why wasn't this prevented? Then the liberal media would feast on this and give this huge coverage yet saving lives is not a big deal to them.
Reply 88
Neo Con

I have explained how I feel about the issue and I feel it requires no more input from me. I am happy in this situation and the circumstances that were present, it saved innocent lives. Innocent Human Life is precious and thousands of people live on due to stress techniques being adopted.

Got any evidence to back up these claims? I'm pretty sure research has shown torture to be an inefficient and unreliable source of information. There are better means of interrogation.
Reply 89
Neo Con
It wasn't anything to do with your neg rep lecture on waterboarding if that is why you are feeling high and mighty.

Eh? I wasn't neg repped and I neg repped no one.

The alleged foiled 'plots' that the US have revealed any details of have all been laughable. Can you remember the one about terrorists planning to fly into the library tower? The one where terrorists planned to fly into the library tower, only they thought it was in a different city? And how they had no means of doing the attack whatsoever, and were just a couple of idiot radicals like all the nazis who thought they were going to assassinate Obama but never got past the talking stage?

I, on the other hand, have reliable evidence that lives were saved through rapport building.

There is no pleasing hypocrites like you. If thousands more died in a terrorist plot (not that you value their lives unless it was your family) you would be one of the first people to do a peaceful protest saying why didn't the govt apply more pressure on Khalid who was in custody. Why wasn't this prevented? Then the liberal media would feast on this and give this huge coverage yet saving lives is not a big deal to them.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is in custody because of information gained during the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah. They obtained this information using rapport building and other traditional interrogation methods. After he gave them this information, other interrogators took over. These interrogators waterboarded him. He clammed up and stopped talking entirely.

If they had employed your beloved enchanced interrogation methods to begin with they would never have caught KSM. If the information gained from him saved lives (which is a dubious assertion) then using torture to extract information would caused the deaths of those people. Since you are a huge hypocrite with a case of cognitive dissonance, you would say the problem was that we didn't torture nearly enough, and the vast right wing conspiracy would have an absolute field day.
Reply 90
sron
Got any evidence to back up these claims? I'm pretty sure research has shown torture to be an inefficient and unreliable source of information. There are better means of interrogation.

watch 24.

2/3 times it works. Good odds.
Reply 91
Reefer
Don't rest it just yet, kid!

I know what a war is mate and it's about looking after your own interests and not giving a **** about anything else. Nations have been doing it since time immemorial. Just don't think you're somehow different. Me not understand war!

Terrorists also impose their imperialism on to nations, poke their noses into nations under lies to their own to gain control of resources and keep the petrodollar world going through strategic influence on a region.

I think you're making the assumption that these terrorists are somehow morally above the other ones. Flawed assumption. The slight difference is that one side is fighting an occupation in an immoral way while the other is led by immoral people and are fighting a war for politicians.

Both = *****

just a trolling post
Reply 92
kultist
Eh? I wasn't neg repped and I neg repped no one.

Sorry about that then.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is in custody because of information gained during the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah. They obtained this information using rapport building and other traditional interrogation methods. After he gave them this information, other interrogators took over. These interrogators waterboarded him. He clammed up and stopped talking entirely.

That is simply untrue. It was the other way round. He was useless during chit chat and waterboarding revealved key info. See below please.

http://thehill.com/byron-york/when-waterboarding-works-2007-12-13.html

Byron York

When waterboarding works
By Byron York
Posted: 12/13/07 05:47 PM [ET]
About a year ago, I had dinner with a man who played a key role in the U.S. war on terror.

The talk turned to allegations of torture. He said that our policy should be that we do not torture. And we should adhere to that policy.

Unless, that is, a truly special situation comes up and we decide that we have to violate that policy in an extremely narrow set of circumstances.

Then, we explain what we did — by that, I think he meant the executive branch would be open with members of Congress — and move on.

What he couldn’t understand was the determination, on the part of some lawmakers, to pass a law that would deal with any and all situations in the future. It’s just not possible.

I thought of that this week when John Kiriakou, a former CIA interrogator, went public with the story of how U.S. officials dealt with Abu Zubaydah, the logistical chief of al Qaeda and a top planner of Sept. 11.

Kiriakou told his story to ABC News’s Brian Ross, and the network posted the full, unedited text of the interview on its website.

Zubaydah was captured in Pakistan in 2002. Shot three times before being caught, his life was saved by U.S. doctors. When he recovered, Kiriakou was among the first to speak to him.

Zubaydah was talkative, but he gave the CIA no usable intelligence.

CIA interrogators tried a variety of techniques of escalating severity on Zubaydah. Each one had to be specifically authorized in advance at the highest levels of the CIA.

Still, Zubaydah resisted. Finally the interrogation worked its way up to waterboarding.

“Was it used on Zubaydah?” Ross asked Kiriakou.

“It was.”

“And was it successful?”

“It was.”

After the waterboarding session, Zubaydah was a different man. “He told his interrogator that Allah had visited him in his cell during the night,” Kiriakou said, “and told him to cooperate because his cooperation would make it easier on the other brothers who had been captured.”
U.S. interrogators, fearing another major attack — remember, this was just months after 9/11 — worked fast. According to Kiriakou, Zubaydah provided information that helped stop a number of al Qaeda actions.

“So in your view the waterboarding broke him?” Ross asked.

“I think it did, yes.”

“And did it make a difference?”

“It did. The threat information that he provided disrupted a number of attacks, maybe dozens of attacks.”

“No doubt about that? That’s not some hype?”

“No doubt.”

Kiriakou didn’t actually do the waterboarding. He declined to be trained in how to do it — although he actually underwent the technique as part of his preparation.

Since 2002, he has changed his mind about it.

Back then, he thought waterboarding was necessary. “As time has passed,” he told Ross, “I think I’ve changed my mind. And I think that waterboarding is probably something that we shouldn’t be in the business of doing.”

But he conceded his mind could change again.

“What happens if we don’t waterboard a person and we don’t get that nugget of information, and there’s an attack on a -— on a movie theater or a shopping mall or in midtown Manhattan, you know, at rush hour?” Kiriakou asked, apparently of himself. “Then — then what do we do? I would have trouble forgiving myself.”

According to most reports, the CIA waterboarded two people — Zubaydah and Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the mastermind of 9/11. In the end, Ross asked, did Kiriakou think it was worth it?

“Yes.”
Reply 93
sron

There is so much more evidence but Obama is only letting the CIA declassify things like waterboarding but not did it work e.t.c. Former VP Dick Cheney challenged Obama to ask the CIA to release the effects of waterboarding and to this day Obama has kept it suppressed, he knows it saved lives and then Obama would end up in a dubious position.
Reply 94
Neo Con

There is so much more evidence but Obama is only letting the CIA declassify things like waterboarding but not did it work e.t.c. Former VP Dick Cheney challenged Obama to ask the CIA to release the effects of waterboarding and to this day Obama has kept it suppressed, he knows it saved lives and then Obama would end up in a dubious position.

With regard to the link, why is waterboarding always justified by imaginary threats like the bombing of malls and cinemas? Islamic terrorists mostly target military and governmental institutions. Those who attack civilians are primarily domestic nutjobs (see school shootings).

And just because waterboarding worked once (if it is indeed true) doesn't mean it should become routine policy. I'm sure if you brought the man's children into the interrogation room and started beating them senseless he'd tell you all you wanted. As if it needs to again be stated: The ends do not justify the means.

Also, when your argument relies on the word of Dick Cheney (the corrupt war criminal despised by most of his country), it really has no footing, so I wont even address that.
Reply 95
sron
With regard to the link, why is waterboarding always justified by imaginary threats like the bombing of malls and cinemas? Islamic terrorists mostly target military and governmental institutions. Those who attack civilians are primarily domestic nutjobs (see school shootings).

Very silly statement, Al Qaeda said they will target anyone and anything american.

And just because waterboarding worked once (if it is indeed true) doesn't mean it should become routine policy. I'm sure if you brought the man's children into the interrogation room and started beating them senseless he'd tell you all you wanted. As if it needs to again be stated: The ends do not justify the means.

I didn't say routine, I said only in extreme cases. Beating=torture. Waterboarding is a stress technique, not out and out torture.

Also, when your argument relies on the word of Dick Cheney (the corrupt war criminal despised by most of his country), it really has no footing, so I wont even address that.

This is a statement someone would say when they have nothing credible to say. Read what I wrote again, I said dick cheney ASKED THE CIA to DECLASSIFY their OWN FILES. The only thing we can learn from here is Obama is the criminal for not taking up cheney's challenge and supressing the release of such important documents.
Reply 96
Neo Con
Very silly statement, Al Qaeda said they will target anyone and anything american.

Very silly statement, Osama Bin Laden specifically said that on 9/11 his aim was to destroy the largest military and economic symbols of US power. Aka the world trade centre and the pentagon. Just the way you speak of "Al Qaeda" as if they are some tightly structured radical organisation shows you do not know anything about it.
Reply 97
Aeolus
Very silly statement, Osama Bin Laden specifically said that on 9/11 his aim was to destroy the largest military and economic symbols of US power. Aka the world trade centre and the pentagon. Just the way you speak of "Al Qaeda" as if they are some tightly structured radical organisation shows you do not know anything about it.

It's precisely for that very reason (many sleeper cells with different heads, different goals) that I said they need to be on alert in malls as well as military/govt buildings :rolleyes:

A later video by Osama declared war on every inch of american soil and interests abroad. FBI know this so we don't need you questioning what al qaeda want to attack.

I referred to them as Al Qaeda as most english people are not well read in this field :smile:
Reply 98
Neo Con
It's precisely for that very reason (many sleeper cells with different heads, different goals) that I said they need to be on alert in malls as well as military/govt buildings :rolleyes:
:smile:

Al Qaeda is pretty much destroyed now, so you can't really use that as a threat. Modern Islamic militancy is chaotic. It is composed of individuals, small unknown groups and larger better known entities that constantly form, dissolve and reform. Some involve longstanding activists, some are nothing more than a couple of hot-headed youngsters; some militants have been in Afghanistan, some have been in Bosnia or Chechnya or both, some have never left their home countries. Some have contacts with bin Laden or people close to him, others get funding or orders from other activists, some get no funding at all. Some of them share aims, others disagree. Some are prepared to co-operate to achieve common aims, others are fiercely competitive. Their views and preferred tactics differ and change. Some militants become active late in life, others at an early age. Some are genuinely committed to a jihadi struggle, others are simply caught up in things beyond their understanding. This is not a structured coherent organisation taking orders from one man.

Many words may spring to mind to describe those involved in modern Islamic terrorism. Perhaps it is time to realise that "al-Qaeda" should not be among them.

Also, scaremongering by spreading bull**** about terrorists attacking malls, is just wrong. If there were to be any attacks against malls they would be domestic. Not "sooper dooper Al Qaeda sleeper cells" . They will be a bunch of idealistic citizens who think being a terrorist is cool. Just like others think being a "gangsta" is cool. To condone the use of waterboarding (Just because it doesn't cause any long term damage doesn't mean its not inhumane torture. Calling it a "stress position" is laughable, i would like to see how much waterboarding would affect you physcologically) Is a typical over the top reaction which just makes everything worse. When is America going to learn the law of unintended consequences.
Reply 99
Aeolus
Al Qaeda is pretty much destroyed now, so you can't really use that as a threat. Modern Islamic militancy is chaotic. It is composed of individuals, small unknown groups and larger better known entities that constantly form, dissolve and reform. Some involve longstanding activists, some are nothing more than a couple of hot-headed youngsters; some militants have been in Afghanistan, some have been in Bosnia or Chechnya or both, some have never left their home countries. Some have contacts with bin Laden or people close to him, others get funding or orders from other activists, some get no funding at all. Some of them share aims, others disagree. Some are prepared to co-operate to achieve common aims, others are fiercely competitive. Their views and preferred tactics differ and change. Some militants become active late in life, others at an early age. Some are genuinely committed to a jihadi struggle, others are simply caught up in things beyond their understanding. This is not a structured coherent organisation taking orders from one man.

Many words may spring to mind to describe those involved in modern Islamic terrorism. Perhaps it is time to realise that "al-Qaeda" should not be among them.

Also, scaremongering by spreading bull**** about terrorists attacking malls, is just wrong. If there were to be any attacks against malls they would be domestic. Not "sooper dooper Al Qaeda sleeper cells" . They will be a bunch of idealistic citizens who think being a terrorist is cool. Just like others think being a "gangsta" is cool. To condone the use of waterboarding (Just because it doesn't cause any long term damage doesn't mean its not inhumane torture. Calling it a "stress position" is laughable, i would like to see how much waterboarding would affect you physcologically) Is a typical over the top reaction which just makes everything worse. When is America going to learn the law of unintended consequences.

Very good post, I enjoyed reading that, despite your neg from a few days ago :wink:

All I will say is waterboarding would affect me psychologically but so would prison. Does this mean prison should be banned too?Life in prison would cause alot of internal turmoil. That is why I consider it a stress technique.

Torture is if there are any physical scars present, and as with waterboarding, afraid not. It's perfectly safe, quality of life is not affected.

Latest

Trending

Trending