The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Physics with foundation year at Sussex.

I'm currently doing a HEFC (higher education foundation course) at Newcastle college in physics, chemistry and maths, looking for universities that I'm interested in and that accept these as A level equivalents have been a proper headache but Sussex was one of them.

The only problem is that after contacting the admissions team they recommended I apply for the Bsc with foundation year, whereas the other 4 universities recomended I just apply for the 3 year Bsc in physics.

Has anyone done or doing the physics with foundation year at sussex? If so what're your opinions on the course, I'm expecting the foundation year to be pretty much what I'm doing at the moment. What are the modules you study in the foundation year?

Any advice and help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Heya Kvitty,

I currently do the Foundation Physics and Astronomy course at Sussex, I didn't apply to it but a 3 year bsc, they changed it as I didn't get the required a levels.

The course itself is basically a more focused version of A levels that you do in a year. I like the course, I have learn't much more than I could of at college as I am being taught by masters in their subject who know what is important and what isn't for your degree and are more about knowledge then trying to get pass a qualification.

If you are going to get a levels equal to or above the standard, and you feel you are ready for the degree, you can skip the foundation year but otherwise, its a good way to make sure your 100% up to speed!

If you have any more questions do ask!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by AntiPro
Heya Kvitty,

I currently do the Foundation Physics and Astronomy course at Sussex, I didn't apply to it but a 3 year bsc, they changed it as I didn't get the required a levels.

The course itself is basically a more focused version of A levels that you do in a year. I like the course, I have learn't much more than I could of at college as I am being taught by masters in their subject who know what is important and what isn't for your degree and are more about knowledge then trying to get pass a qualification.

If you are going to get a levels equal to or above the standard, and you feel you are ready for the degree, you can skip the foundation year but otherwise, its a good way to make sure your 100% up to speed!

Hey thanks for the reply.
I got invited for an interview and tour but since I live 500+ miles away I had to send the letter back declining the interview as I couldn't afford to get there just for a couple of hours .. but asked to be considered anyway.

I'm not doing A levels I'm doing an access to HEFC course so I guess the requirements might be higher for me to get onto the course, what results did you get in A levels?
Do you find the course much better than A levels? Is the course taught on university campus?
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
Original post by AntiPro
Heya Kvitty,

Hi. Im in AS year now and I've been thinking about doing economics or psychology at Uni and have taken AS appropriate subjects (economics, psychology, politics and English) but I've recently reconsidered my whole thinking and now want to do this Phy + Astronomy course at Sussex. I was wondering what topics and things your first year has contained and how you're finding it assuming you didn't do maths or physics at ALevel? Also do you know anything about the 1st year of the physics and astronomy course like how much of it is relative to Astronomy? Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply 5
Hi... I've been offered a conditional place at Sussex in September... But have just realised it is for a foundation year. Does anyone know if this means I would be able to get a grant/student loan for 4 years, or would I have to self-fund that first foundation year? Is the foundation year actually part of the BSc degree? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending