The Student Room Group

Realistic Route to becoming an Investment Banker?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hackett
Oh please shut up.

what? history and eng lit are brilliant subjects but a level maths is usually a recommendation.
Reply 21
One data point: I do not have an A-level in Maths, did an Arts degree and still managed to wind up in banking..

There's no requirement per se. As I said earlier in this chain - you need to be able to demonstrate you're numerate, not the winner of the Fields medal...

Bb^
Reply 22
You are planning this early but not doing maths or economics? :confused: I would focus on that first..and doing well in A-Levels. You need to focus on one goal at a time in working in IB. 1st goal=do maths and economics and get good grades in order to go to a top uni for something Economics/maths/finance related. Once there you can then ask what to do next. Best of luck :smile:
Why a bank? Why wouldn't you go with a firm?
Reply 24
Original post by digitalfever
Why a bank? Why wouldn't you go with a firm?

Why does it make a difference

Original post by Bb^
One data point: I do not have an A-level in Maths, did an Arts degree and still managed to wind up in banking..

There's no requirement per se. As I said earlier in this chain - you need to be able to demonstrate you're numerate, not the winner of the Fields medal...

Bb^

Just for interest what alevels and degree did you do? What role are you and how did you show that you were numerate?
Original post by non

Because there are many different careers in Investment Banking and pros and cons to working within a bank and a firm.
Reply 26
Original post by non
what? history and eng lit are brilliant subjects but a level maths is usually a recommendation.

Stop chatting ****, seriously.
Reply 27
Original post by non

Just for interest what alevels and degree did you do? What role are you and how did you show that you were numerate?

Certainly didn't take Maths A-level. I took Politics, Religious Studies and Physics. Took an arts degree. PM for details. Picked up an accounting module at university and networked aggressively to secure work experience placements. If you're numerate it will come through at interview - be bullish if you are strong at maths - the number of times I was challenged at interview for being light on maths was crazy.

Bb^
Reply 28
Why wouldn't that suit you? Apply to unis and apply for the gap year schemes as a back up. Problem solved.
Reply 29
First of all - Cass business school has a much better reputation in the city then Bath or Nottingham.

Second of all - this is a very aggressive plan. Why are you planning the next 10 years of your life? Have you factored in stuff like:

a) You don't like banking, it sucks your soul out and ruins you
b) Banking doesn't like you. You aren't what they want and you fail to get an internship/job offer

I think you need to be a little more open minded and explore alternative careers and also think about the bigger picture - there is no obvious and clear route into banking IMO, I know oxbridge grads who have never managed to secure an internship and people without a uni education who find roles in sales/trading (yes, in the modern age, not a decade ago, this still can happen)
Reply 30
The one difficulty is to write a PS that is applicable to all those courses you have listed.

I was in a fairly similar position to you (no A - level maths) and ended up writing a PS around Economics and Finance. I currently hold offers from Durham and Manchester and will be firming Durham.
Reply 31
Warwick would be veryyyy difficult to incorporate into a personal statement, so would really think about applying there. The rest can be covered in the same PS, but I honestly think trying to include law and business is a waste and can only damage your PS if you try to cover it.
Reply 32
I applied for International Business, Economics and Finance at Manchester

and Business Finance at Durham: The link to the course modules is belows, It's a good course, but depends what you are interested in. The course is mainly a slpit between Economics, Applied Economics and Finance, there is a faire amount of maths involved within the course but that is no bad thing.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/n420.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
No probs - Predicted grades AAB in Economics, Geography and Histroy
Reply 34
Ever thought about P.P.E (politics, philosophy and economics)?

I admit it would be beneficial if you had A-Level Maths, but it is by no means unheard of for people to get onto this course at universities like Oxford without having done it. You would, however, need to demonstrate your aptitude for the economics/maths side of the course in other ways. It just seems like the course would suit you, as it does not narrow your options for the future in the same way that specifically finance related courses can- like those previously discussed - but has a very, very good reputation in the Banking world, as in other sectors. It would allow you to use your A-levels in History and English Literature to your advantage, as these are very highly regarded for PPE, whereas you would be pushed to find excuses for them (and business studies) if you apply for more maths heavy courses. It also leaves you very free to change your mind if it turns out later down the road that Investment Banking isn't for you - PPE will put you in good stead for almost any profession you can think of (Law, Teaching, Politics, Academia, Journalism; the list goes on).

Just thought it may be something to consider. But before you write off PPE at Oxford because you think you have not got a chance of getting in (as so many people do) - this is not necessarily the case as the standard offer will almost certainly be AAA, possibly A*AA by the time you apply, which is in line with the other courses you mentioned. All I would say is don't just ignore the highly prestigious universities and courses because they seem unreachable (not that I'm saying you are necessarily doing this), just try to speak to people that have actually been successful at getting into these places (TSR is a great place to find them!) and ask them what they think... you'll be surprised at the number of people that get onto courses that they never dreamed they would qualify for, let alone make a successful application. :smile:
Reply 35
Go with Economic History at LSE first choice, with those GCSEs and a stellar PS you shouldn't have any problems.
Reply 36
Hi

I saw your post and thought I would shed some advice on how I got my offer in Investment Banking. (I got the first one I applied for).

I would like to make it clear that I had no contacts in the Bank, I had no finance work experience and I didn't have Maths A level.

My A Levels were:

Psychology (A)
Biology (A)
Design and Technology (A)
Economics (A)

Undergraduate Degree (Warwick University)

Bsc Psychology (2:1)

Postgraduate Degree (University College London)

MSc Management (Predicted Distinction)

The first thing I would like to say is that I cannot emphasize how important it is to go to either Oxbridge - LSE - Imperial - UCL - Warwick.
Recruiters actively seek these universities and it shows when you get down to the final interviews and assessment centers. In my experience I have only seen one person who wasn't from one of these universities, and they attended INSEAD.

Perhaps most importantly is how you market yourself. You must have something different. They don't want identical drones, so make sure you sell yourself differently. For me I studied a lot of Behavioural Finance in my undergraduate degree and specialized my dissertation in the integration of psychological models within investment and financial decision making. Interviewers were refreshed to see someone different and as a result I out competed all the candidates who had Masters Degree's in Finance. One candidate even has a CFA level 2.

You must prepare more than you think and align all your views with those of the Bank (economic outlook, company values etc..). For example I must have spent 70 hours in preparation for my interviews. Ranging from detailed knowledge of different Valuation methods (i.e DCF, P/E, EV analysis etc..) to what colour shirt and tie to wear.

Also make sure you have extracurricular experience that will stimulate interest in your interviewers. One of my greatest tools I pushed was RedBull flugtag which I did last year, alongside more standard things such as being captain of a university sport team etc...

Remember these people need to be able to work with you and they need to enjoy your company. Establish yourself as an asset to their company on both a professional and personal level.

To summarsie.

1. Go to a G6 University (i.e one of the 6 universities that IB's target, subject is less important). Preferably do an MSc as I would say 85% of the final round candidates had an MSc.

2. Market yourself as someone who is different from the rest of the economic and finance graduates. You will stand out and if you are good and this can only work in your favor.

3. Prepare more than everyone else. I revised harder for my interviews than many of my Finals at University. I ensured I had collated every possible financial and economic question they could ask me. Never was I asked a question I couldn't answer.

4. Have good extracurricular experience and come across as a nice guy that they would enjoy working with.

Those things I think will help you get the job.
Reply 37
Original post by mayben90
Hi

I saw your post and thought I would shed some advice on how I got my offer in Investment Banking. (I got the first one I applied for).

I would like to make it clear that I had no contacts in the Bank, I had no finance work experience and I didn't have Maths A level.

My A Levels were:

Psychology (A)
Biology (A)
Design and Technology (A)
Economics (A)

Undergraduate Degree (Warwick University)

Bsc Psychology (2:1)

Postgraduate Degree (University College London)

MSc Management (Predicted Distinction)

The first thing I would like to say is that I cannot emphasize how important it is to go to either Oxbridge - LSE - Imperial - UCL - Warwick.
Recruiters actively seek these universities and it shows when you get down to the final interviews and assessment centers. In my experience I have only seen one person who wasn't from one of these universities, and they attended INSEAD.

Perhaps most importantly is how you market yourself. You must have something different. They don't want identical drones, so make sure you sell yourself differently. For me I studied a lot of Behavioural Finance in my undergraduate degree and specialized my dissertation in the integration of psychological models within investment and financial decision making. Interviewers were refreshed to see someone different and as a result I out competed all the candidates who had Masters Degree's in Finance. One candidate even has a CFA level 2.

You must prepare more than you think and align all your views with those of the Bank (economic outlook, company values etc..). For example I must have spent 70 hours in preparation for my interviews. Ranging from detailed knowledge of different Valuation methods (i.e DCF, P/E, EV analysis etc..) to what colour shirt and tie to wear.

Also make sure you have extracurricular experience that will stimulate interest in your interviewers. One of my greatest tools I pushed was RedBull flugtag which I did last year, alongside more standard things such as being captain of a university sport team etc...

Remember these people need to be able to work with you and they need to enjoy your company. Establish yourself as an asset to their company on both a professional and personal level.

To summarsie.

1. Go to a G6 University (i.e one of the 6 universities that IB's target, subject is less important). Preferably do an MSc as I would say 85% of the final round candidates had an MSc.

2. Market yourself as someone who is different from the rest of the economic and finance graduates. You will stand out and if you are good and this can only work in your favor.

3. Prepare more than everyone else. I revised harder for my interviews than many of my Finals at University. I ensured I had collated every possible financial and economic question they could ask me. Never was I asked a question I couldn't answer.

4. Have good extracurricular experience and come across as a nice guy that they would enjoy working with.

Those things I think will help you get the job.

Congratulations on your job and all the hard work.

I have to say though, your advice will be terribly misleading to the naive sixth-former who's just decided he wants to be rich and has come on here to find out how.

Go to a top 6 uni? By all means.
Subject isn't that important? Not true: with the world and his mother graduating with a 2.1 these days, degree courses are becoming increasingly important. Sounds like you went for IBD, which can be more lenient on degree subject than other departments. Other areas will almost require a rigorously quantitative degree.
Preferably do a masters? I think the majority of masters-takers will tell you that they are filling up a year whilst waiting for the next recruitment cycle, and would have much preferred a job straight out of undergrad.

The rest I agree with. Although careful not to prepare tooooo hard for interviews, or you won't sound natural.

You are a nice exhibit of how it is possible to break into IB through an unconventional route, but I would advise all you up-and-coming gordon gekkos to do maths, further maths, physics and economics, go on to LSE, spring week, internship, boom (or something similar :biggrin:)
Reply 38
Original post by salmon1
Also, AAA for business at Aston? Grade inflation wtf?

Oi, what's wrong with Aston :frown:

KPMG is a bank!? :eek:
Reply 39
Original post by M1011
KPMG is a bank!? :eek:

KPMG aren't a bank they are more a professional service firm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending