The Student Room Group

I want to do an Apprenticeship AND and A Levels. Possible?

I was thinking of going onto an Apprenticeship in Management or Youth work when I finish Yr 11, but, I still wish to study English and Maths A Level to get extra qualifications. Is this possible?

I am going for A*/A's in GCSE and working on extra curricular projects - University in the UK isn't too appealing to me so I was wondering how this would work out.

Thanks for any info.

If you've done an apprenticeship, how does the work feel, how much spare time do you have, is it easy to balance work & life. Also, anyone who has done A levels, would doing 2 part time seem feasible?
Reply 1
Original post by NerdyBashir
I was thinking of going onto an Apprenticeship in Management or Youth work when I finish Yr 11, but, I still wish to study English and Maths A Level to get extra qualifications. Is this possible?

I am going for A*/A's in GCSE and working on extra curricular projects - University in the UK isn't too appealing to me so I was wondering how this would work out.

Thanks for any info.

If you've done an apprenticeship, how does the work feel, how much spare time do you have, is it easy to balance work & life. Also, anyone who has done A levels, would doing 2 part time seem feasible?

You can't do A levels and an apprenticeship at the same time. You could maybe do your A levels and at the same time do some work experience? An apprenticeship is a full time job, and on top of that there is study work that needs to be done.

I would probably actually suggest doing you A levels, and doing some work experience at the same time, because the work experience would make it alot easier to get an apprenticeship, and then you'll always have A level qualifications to fall back on, incase you want to do uni or something different.
Reply 2
Original post by jfinney94
You can't do A levels and an apprenticeship at the same time. You could maybe do your A levels and at the same time do some work experience? An apprenticeship is a full time job, and on top of that there is study work that needs to be done.

I would probably actually suggest doing you A levels, and doing some work experience at the same time, because the work experience would make it alot easier to get an apprenticeship, and then you'll always have A level qualifications to fall back on, incase you want to do uni or something different.

Say I wanted to do an Apprenticeship after A Levels, I would have to pay from then on, right?
Reply 3
Say I wanted to do an Apprenticeship after A Levels, I would have to pay from then on, right?

apprenticeships.org.uk - have a good read through that website
nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx/Home.aspx - that may also be of help.

You never have to pay for apprenticeships, the cost of the course is covered by the government, and your employer pays your wage.
Reply 4

You can do an apprenticeship full time, then do p/t A-Levels you may be able to schedule this round a college course or do evening classes. If not you can always teach yourself and sit the A-level exams as an external candidate.
Reply 5

Thanks for any info.

If you want to get into management and you're on A's and A*s I'd say do A-levels through the traditional route then have a look at Universities abroad if you don't fancy University in the UK.
Reply 6
Original post by ATCAdam
If you want to get into management and you're on A's and A*s I'd say do A-levels through the traditional route then have a look at Universities abroad if you don't fancy University in the UK.

Thanks for your input.
would I be able to an apprenticeship on the days I am not in school, also how many places that do the same thing should look for. so far I am looking at 3 nursery's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending