The Student Room Group

gap year or audit apprenticeship

Post results day has been very messy. Missed my firm for pwc tech degree apprenticeship with qmul by one grade and i have tried everything possible with pwc and queen mary to let me in but it hasn't worked. I didn't apply to uni as a backup and I am not interested in going through clearing as I am deadset on an apprenticeship. I have another offer for audit with a mid-tier company- mazars but I am hesitant to take it because it isn't what i wanted and I dont think ill enjoy it. Should i take a gap year and resit my exams next summer whilst reapplying for better degree apprenticeships or just take the offer?
I'd take the offer with Mazars.. gets you somewhere in the industry and bare with it for 6 months whilst looking for something more suitable. that way you can whack that on your CV as some experience and maybe it'll work in your favor with other firms. I'm in a similar situation with you but I didn't bother applying when everyone else was as I was worried about my grades, now I've got them I wish I applied earlier when there was more apprenticeships going as now its 100x harder trying to even get into an interview phase. Best of luck .. lmk how it goes
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by zeeshaan_22
I'd take the offer with Mazars.. gets you somewhere in the industry and bare with it for 6 months whilst looking for something more suitable. that way you can whack that on your CV as some experience and maybe it'll work in your favor with other firms. I'm in a similar situation with you but I didn't bother applying when everyone else was as I was worried about my grades, now I've got them I wish I applied earlier when there was more apprenticeships going as now its 100x harder trying to even get into an interview phase. Best of luck .. lmk how it goes

Thanks so much for your help, even my parents and everyone is saying the same. I was just gonna go back to my part time job and take a gap year but I think its best I try it at least and leave if I don't enjoy it. Also if youre looking for apprenticeships check out kpmg they have loads open rn or bank of america if your in london.
Original post by rhyxan
Post results day has been very messy. Missed my firm for pwc tech degree apprenticeship with qmul by one grade and i have tried everything possible with pwc and queen mary to let me in but it hasn't worked. I didn't apply to uni as a backup and I am not interested in going through clearing as I am deadset on an apprenticeship. I have another offer for audit with a mid-tier company- mazars but I am hesitant to take it because it isn't what i wanted and I dont think ill enjoy it. Should i take a gap year and resit my exams next summer whilst reapplying for better degree apprenticeships or just take the offer?

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive - you can always start the apprenticeship at the other company, and resit your A-levels in the following summer and decide whether or not to reapply the following year. You then hedge your bets, and even if you do go to uni, you have a year of work experience and hopefully some money saved from the process :smile:

Just be mindful of whatever your notice periods are for the job and make sure you work your notice if you do end up applying to and going to uni, if you want to use the as a reference in future!
Original post by rhyxan
Thanks so much for your help, even my parents and everyone is saying the same. I was just gonna go back to my part time job and take a gap year but I think its best I try it at least and leave if I don't enjoy it. Also if youre looking for apprenticeships check out kpmg they have loads open rn or bank of america if your in london.

No probs... I did apply to KPMG but never got into the next stage after them mini assessments (I think there's some algorithm that you need to match when you do the assessment to get in). I'm from West Mids area so looking for places in that 20 mile radius thanks for the advice though appreciate it I will have a look at Bank Of America anyway. hmu if you need more advice more than happy to help :wink:
(Original post by rhyxan)Post results day has been very messy. Missed my firm for pwc tech degree apprenticeship with qmul by one grade and i have tried everything possible with pwc and queen mary to let me in but it hasn't worked. I didn't apply to uni as a backup and I am not interested in going through clearing as I am deadset on an apprenticeship. I have another offer for audit with a mid-tier company- mazars but I am hesitant to take it because it isn't what i wanted and I dont think ill enjoy it. Should i take a gap year and resit my exams next summer whilst reapplying for better degree apprenticeships or just take the offer?

Original post by rhyxan

Hey, I'm just about to apply to Mazar's apprenticeship for Audit just wondering if you had any advice or pointers that may help me get somewhere?
Thanks!
Reply 6
(Original post by rhyxan)Post results day has been very messy. Missed my firm for pwc tech degree apprenticeship with qmul by one grade and i have tried everything possible with pwc and queen mary to let me in but it hasn't worked. I didn't apply to uni as a backup and I am not interested in going through clearing as I am deadset on an apprenticeship. I have another offer for audit with a mid-tier company- mazars but I am hesitant to take it because it isn't what i wanted and I dont think ill enjoy it. Should i take a gap year and resit my exams next summer whilst reapplying for better degree apprenticeships or just take the offer?

Hey, I'm just about to apply to Mazar's apprenticeship for Audit just wondering if you had any advice or pointers that may help me get somewhere?
Thanks!

How it going?
No probs... I did apply to KPMG but never got into the next stage after them mini assessments (I think there's some algorithm that you need to match when you do the assessment to get in). I'm from West Mids area so looking for places in that 20 mile radius thanks for the advice though appreciate it I will have a look at Bank Of America anyway. hmu if you need more advice more than happy to help :wink:

what did you do in the end. quite a few apprenticeships with warwick uni and birmingham if you are at all interested inmanufacturing etc, i have friends at JLR, National Grid and Atkins
Original post by snoopadoop
what did you do in the end. quite a few apprenticeships with warwick uni and birmingham if you are at all interested inmanufacturing etc, i have friends at JLR, National Grid and Atkins

had no luck in the end, applied to many, went to a shitload of interviews but werent successful. when i asked for feedback they all hit me with the same response where they found someone more suitable for the position or they felt i lacked knowledge and experience. find that hard to believe when the appreticeship posting states "Trainee Accountant" ... ive done my A - Levels in accounting so got some knowledge but that aint enough and find it strange when they are supposed to be the ones offering training lol. anyway i spent too much time on interviews and going to social events etc so it didnt work out in the end. Decided to start my own detailing business instead but i would like to take you up on your offer about these apprenticeships in manufacturing ... hmu if youd wanna discuss more :smile:
had no luck in the end, applied to many, went to a shitload of interviews but werent successful. when i asked for feedback they all hit me with the same response where they found someone more suitable for the position or they felt i lacked knowledge and experience. find that hard to believe when the appreticeship posting states "Trainee Accountant" ... ive done my A - Levels in accounting so got some knowledge but that aint enough and find it strange when they are supposed to be the ones offering training lol. anyway i spent too much time on interviews and going to social events etc so it didnt work out in the end. Decided to start my own detailing business instead but i would like to take you up on your offer about these apprenticeships in manufacturing ... hmu if youd wanna discuss more :smile:
any tips for studying a level accounting
Original post by davidodei
any tips for studying a level accounting
yeh lol, dont **** about and take it seriously.. recap on topics you dont quite understand with youtube videos, they're all out there... i could never understand with the textbooks .. and dont be afraid to ask for help even if its on the stupidest thing possible and even if the teachers are judgemental throwing a ***** fit if you dont get their methods of teaching, end of the day you gotta understand all the accounting principles and processes and how to work things out to actually get decent marks and grades. & at the same time don't throw your whole life into it.. these are the mistakes I made when doin A Levels. you realise once you're gone and want to redo the 2 years again but this time properly lol. good luck
yeh lol, dont **** about and take it seriously.. recap on topics you dont quite understand with youtube videos, they're all out there... i could never understand with the textbooks .. and dont be afraid to ask for help even if its on the stupidest thing possible and even if the teachers are judgemental throwing a ***** fit if you dont get their methods of teaching, end of the day you gotta understand all the accounting principles and processes and how to work things out to actually get decent marks and grades. & at the same time don't throw your whole life into it.. these are the mistakes I made when doin A Levels. you realise once you're gone and want to redo the 2 years again but this time properly lol. good luck
What grade did you get in accounting if I may ask, and what are you doing now an apprenticeship?
What grade did you get in accounting if I may ask, and what are you doing now an apprenticeship?
got a high C (2 marks off a B)... tried getting into many degree apprenticeships... even level 3 / level 2 apprenticeships but no luck, in the end just went back to my little side hustle and focusing on making it a success.
Damn, all the best then bro
Damn, all the best then bro
Respect bro, dont shy away from it though, try your best and if it dont work out at least you can say you tried.. different firms want a specific character with specific grades (maybe a specific colour lmao) but you never know you may come across the right firm for an apprenticeship so do try your best, they are out there.. just not in Birmingham LOL... All the best & good luck on them A Levels.
“Maybe a specific colour”😂😂😂 thanks 🫡
Reply 16
Respect bro, dont shy away from it though, try your best and if it dont work out at least you can say you tried.. different firms want a specific character with specific grades (maybe a specific colour lmao) but you never know you may come across the right firm for an apprenticeship so do try your best, they are out there.. just not in Birmingham LOL... All the best & good luck on them A Levels.
Isn't the application cycle still open? Can you not still apply?
Original post by ma937
Isn't the application cycle still open? Can you not still apply?
now is the season for apprenticeships, I've just lost hope in it, the amount of time I've invested going to social events, interviews, fuel wasted etc.. (May 2023 - Present). Hence I'm putting my efforts into my own thing.
now is the season for apprenticeships, I've just lost hope in it, the amount of time I've invested going to social events, interviews, fuel wasted etc.. (May 2023 - Present). Hence I'm putting my efforts into my own thing.

I’ll be 100% it does feel like that but all you need is one offer and your set if you will accept it, just continue to apply and don’t think much of it
Reply 19
Damnn man tbh i felt the same last yr cos i applied to apprenticeships hella late, but tbh this year it really changed as i changed my whole focus on application. I would say never give up but it completely how you feel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending