The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Wow, any Viking Metal fans? I just got into it. The first video I listened to:

Bloody manly, that was! I think I'll see if I can start up a Viking Metal society in this forum! :lol:

Uh... you might want to get that video code looked at...

Eh, I wouldn't call 'Viking metal' a genre any more than I would 'Pirate metal' - genres describe musical elements rather than lyrics. I like me some early Enslaved and a bit of Amon Amarth though.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

Eh, I wouldn't call 'Viking metal' a genre any more than I would 'Pirate metal' - genres describe musical elements rather than lyrics. I like me some early Enslaved and a bit of Amon Amarth though.

Haha, all fixed now.

Yes, I was just joking :lol: about starting up a society. Viking Metal is a sub-genre of Metal as Punk rock would be a sub-genre of rock.

But yh, some good stuff there.
Wow, any Viking Metal fans? I just got into it. The first video I listened to:

Bloody manly, that was! I think I'll see if I can start up a Viking Metal society in this forum! :lol:

Bathory. Original and best:

Viking Metal is a sub-genre of Metal as Punk rock would be a sub-genre of rock.

I completely disagree. Although punk had its own ethic, there was definitely a musical genre with its own stylistic tendencies which simply doesn't exist for 'viking metal'.
Original post by Nichrome
Bathory. Original and best:

Gosh, nice! Just downloaded in order to listen in best quality (M4A) and it sounds great - cheers :biggrin:
I completely disagree. Although punk had its own ethic, there was definitely a musical genre with its own stylistic tendencies which simply doesn't exist for 'viking metal'.

OK, you win; I spoke with ignorance :bricks:
OK, you win; I spoke with ignorance :bricks:

Also, you're doing well by checking out Bathory. Go listen to every single one of his albums. NOW. :tongue:

Except some pirate metal bands actually sounds 'piratey' even if you discount the lyrics. Almost like sea shanties in metal form, if you forget that sea shanties require call and response for just a moment.

Those guys are from Perth, Australia while Alestorm are (originally) from Perth in Scotland IIRC. They toured with Alestorm earlier this year and outplayed Alestorm imo. I just wish I didn't have flu and and actually knew their songs when I was at the gig!

Anyway, I lost track of myself there. My point is that some viking metal sounds distinctly viking. Tyr use a lot of traditional songs as their basis to name the one band I'd say can definitely be described as viking metal. As much as I like Amon Amarth and Bathory, I can't really distinguish them musically from other genres.
(edited 11 years ago)
Also, you're doing well by checking out Bathory. Go listen to every single one of his albums. NOW. :tongue:

I'm already three songs in, already having listened to Valhalla, Twilight of the Gods and right now, Blood and Iron :lol: Boy, I'm keen :ahee:
I don't know why
I don't like heavy metal/rock.
they always make me uneasy
Original post by you should know
I don't know why
I don't like heavy metal/rock.
they always make me uneasy

Cool, probably didn't need to venture into this thread in that case did you?
I don't like traditional heavy metal and I'm in this thread.

!!1

yay france.
True, I took that comment as being more of a disliking for rock and metal in general. Looks like someone else took it to mean that as well.
Several LLN projects I've heard sound like that (probably because they're all the same guy who made up his own ****ing language, presumably so nobody could pronounce the names of the bands/songs). I really can't get into that kinda **** :lol:
Original post by Drunk Punx
Several LLN projects I've heard sound like that (probably because they're all the same guy who made up his own ****ing language, presumably so nobody could pronounce the names of the bands/songs). I really can't get into that kinda **** :lol:

Really?

That song always stands out from the rest of the Belketre I have. They're the only LLN band I really like. Vlad Tepes and Mutilation have some okay songs but nothing I've ever heard has been worthy of the praise they get. I didn't like the Torgeist I heard, and I can't remember the other bands.

BTC > LLN.
Original post by concubine
Really?

That song always stands out from the rest of the Belketre I have. They're the only LLN band I really like. Vlad Tepes and Mutilation have some okay songs but nothing I've ever heard has been worthy of the praise they get. I didn't like the Torgeist I heard, and I can't remember the other bands.

BTC > LLN.

A lot of Brenoritvrezorkre sounds like this:

Can't get into it.

The only LLN band I've heard that I haven't been disappointed by are Amaka Hahina, primarily for the sheer eerieness of the music:

Edit: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Vordb_Dr%C3%A9agvor_U%C3%A8zr%C3%A9%C3%A8vb/3109
That's the guy I was talking about. He seemed involved in quite a lot of LLN projects.
(edited 11 years ago)
I may be late, but has anyone heard the new Ne Obliviscaris in full yet? I have it but I'm going through other music at the moment :tongue:
Reply 6557
'Sup first post.

And i see you're talking about les legions noire and brenoritvezorkre, what.

I like Nevg.. but none of the other brenoritvrezorkre albums
Reply 6558
Original post by Drunk Punx
I may be late, but has anyone heard the new Ne Obliviscaris in full yet? I have it but I'm going through other music at the moment :tongue:

I JUST listened to this album, first impressions are that it's fantastic. Long though.

Anything from this year I might have missed? Name at random. :wink:
New Comus and its not so great no more vocals.

Omega Centauri.

Pact.

Pseudogod.

Rhinocervs.

Shyy.

Perdition / Svartidauði.

Latest