The Student Room Group

History or Business?

I'm torn guys. My school needs me to be more specific and make a decision by thursday. I want to go into business when I'm older, but preferably with knowledge of an emerging economy's language. Here are the courses:

Group 1

1) Birmingham American/Canadian Studies, History AAB
2) Birmingham Economic/Social History ABB
3) Birmingham History and Russian Studies ABB
4) Edinburgh Economic/Social History AAA-BBB
5) Hull History 300-340
6) Nottingham History/Contempary Chinese Studies ABB
7) Nottingham- History/Russian & East European Civilisations ABB
8) Sheffield - Chinese Studies and History ABB
9) Sheffield Japanese Studies and History ABB

Group 2

1) Birmingham - Business Management (Year in Industry)AAB
2) Birmingham - Business Management AAB
3)Birmingham- International Business with Chinese (year abroad) AAB
4) Birmingham- International Business with Russian (year abroad) AAB
5) Edinburgh - Economic History and Business Studies AAA-BBB
6) Hull - Business Economics(International) 300
7) Nottingham - Business and Economy of Contemporary China AAB-ABB
8) Sheffield - Business Management and Economics AAB
9) Sheffield - Chinese Studies and Business Management

Which group of courses would be best suited for a future businessman?
Reply 1
all good russell group and red bricks so don't worry about which ever is more prestigious for this course

chinese studies and business at sheffield (i've applied for law there so bit biased ha)

or whatever you choose make sure you have chinese somewhere in there for obvious business and economical sense for a wannabe-businessman/political economist
(edited 11 years ago)
your school are a bit silly for making you decide now, months before results day... It's great though that you've started looking at degree courses don't get me wrong, but whatever you 'pick' now will only change in the summer several times. Also, you don't send off your application till September the very earliest, if you're not applying to oxbridge you have till January the 15th. I would perhaps visit a few of these universities on open days, find out what modules there are on each course and decide if you like them. Good luck anyway though.
Original post by camblacks
I'm torn guys. My school needs me to be more specific and make a decision by thursday. I want to go into business when I'm older, but preferably with knowledge of an emerging economy's language. Here are the courses:

Group 1

1) Birmingham American/Canadian Studies, History AAB
2) Birmingham Economic/Social History ABB
3) Birmingham History and Russian Studies ABB
4) Edinburgh Economic/Social History AAA-BBB
5) Hull History 300-340
6) Nottingham History/Contempary Chinese Studies ABB
7) Nottingham- History/Russian & East European Civilisations ABB
8) Sheffield - Chinese Studies and History ABB
9) Sheffield Japanese Studies and History ABB

Group 2

1) Birmingham - Business Management (Year in Industry)AAB
2) Birmingham - Business Management AAB
3)Birmingham- International Business with Chinese (year abroad) AAB
4) Birmingham- International Business with Russian (year abroad) AAB
5) Edinburgh - Economic History and Business Studies AAA-BBB
6) Hull - Business Economics(International) 300
7) Nottingham - Business and Economy of Contemporary China AAB-ABB
8) Sheffield - Business Management and Economics AAB
9) Sheffield - Chinese Studies and Business Management

Which group of courses would be best suited for a future businessman?

American/Canadian Studies sound great for picking up an emerging-economy's language I think!
Reply 4
Original post by logiadoevus
American/Canadian Studies sound great for picking up an emerging-economy's language I think!

america and canada are not emerging economies, and knowing a lot about canadian or american history would not help you compete against domestic canadian or american or global rivals in a business sense...:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tdkr
america and canada are not emerging economies, and knowing a lot about canadian or american history would not help you compete against domestic canadian or american or global rivals in a business sense...:rolleyes:

Yeah bro that's just in there because I like North American History. I'm well aware that the US and Canada are not emerging economies....
Reply 6
Original post by logiadoevus

Again, as I already said, it's just in because I'm interested in North American history, I'd just take a couple of modules in language. I'm well aware they aren't emerging economies, no need to try and take the p*ss
Go with either of them - history doesn't shut off any doors, and many go into business, if that helps.
Reply 8
Again, as I already said, it's just in because I'm interested in North American history, I'd just take a couple of modules in language. I'm well aware they aren't emerging economies, no need to try and take the p*ss

i had no intention of trying to take the piss out of you, just that the OP stated that he wanted to become a "future businessman" in which case i thought it was HIGHLY strategically-advisable to study something to do with chinese studies regardless of whether you or i enjoyes/likes
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by tdkr
i had no intention of trying to take the piss out of you, just that the OP stated that he wanted to become a "future businessman" in which case i thought it was HIGHLY strategically-advisable to study something to do with chinese studies regardless of whether you or i enjoyes/likes

Wasn't saying that to you :smile: Was saying it to the guy who was being sarcastic
Reply 10
Wasn't saying that to you :smile: Was saying it to the guy who was being sarcastic

wtf!? now i'm confused..
Reply 11
Original post by tdkr
wtf!? now i'm confused..

I was talking about logiadoevus' post when I said no need to take the piss
Reply 12
I was talking about logiadoevus' post when I said no need to take the piss

sorry i was confused about who was who LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending