The Student Room Group

Problems with my hair extensions.. help! :(

Hellooo, so basically on Thursday I bought my first set of hair extensions after doing lots of research for which company to get them from and found this one that seemed really good, found all good reviews for it and they seemed like a good deal so I bought some from them for £80 for 20inch ones. They arrived on Friday day when I realized the colour didn't match as much as I'd have liked it to (obviously not their fault) so I went out to the hairdressers and got my hair done to match it up. When I got back I was happy with them and went to put them in and it was all fine.
On the website, it says that they are 100% remy human hair so obviously, that is what i'd expect them to be, but a bit later on I went to straighten them and the only way I can describe it is that it looked like it had melted as if it were plastic? the hair itself had turned black and then I had this black melted residue left on the plates of my straighteners - which I took a photo of here and considering they claim to be human hair and I knew this wasn't right. In fact, this is from their FAQ on their website
Can I straighten, curl, cut and wash you human hair extensions?
Absolutely! In fact you can treat them just like you would your own hair! Just remember that, like your own hair, human hair extensions are not indestructible so treat them with care and respect! See our hair care page for more details!

So, I emailed the company explaining to them what had happened on Friday bearing in mind I would have only had the extensions for about 5 hours at this point and explained to them what they were doing and I included the photo, I mentioned to them the description of the black plasticy look it gave and this was the response I received -
Thanks for writing to us regarding your concerns. We take extreme care with our product so it can have as long as possible a life with you. Unfortunately we cannot predict the manner in which they are treated and cared for and thus, under our terms and conditions, are not responsible for the condition of the hair once it is used. While we appreciate and value your opinion regarding the quality of the hair and how you have treated it, hundreds of customers each week purchase and use halo items - all extremely satisfied with the quality, thickness and design. I appreciate what you've shared but the hair is most certainly not plastic - and plastic would also not melt or go black.

Now, what would I possibly be able to do? I thought I had clear evidence with that picture that there was a problem with them and surely that goes against the sale of goods act? I'm currently considering making a video of me actually showing it happening and putting it on YouTube to try and get their attention somehow but would that backfire on me in any way? I mean, I would have no reason to lie about it - I was so excited to get these that I went to spend even more to get the colour matched up on myself which has just pee'd me off even more. Ahhh, sorry for the rant!! Any advice would be really appreciated!
Reply 1
Sounds like they're trying to discount your complaint entirely. If you purchased goods that weren't up to scratch (i.e described incorrectly, poor quality or not fit for purpose), you have the right to a refund.
Hi IrKirsty,

It sounds to me like you have been sold human/synthetic mix hair. Was the hair branded?

Unfortunately there are alot of companies that buy in bulk from abroad and will end up with this mix hair, but label it as remy. Sometimes the company selling it doesnt even know, as they ask for remy when buying it from their suppliers and then just trust they have been sent the correct product. They should have checked it, and you are entitled to refund, as the product is not as advertised and not fit for sale. I can then be deemed as faulty. (i run an extensions retail site myself, so know customer rights).

If you are looking for extensions in future then research the top brands. Beautyworks is a great brand, the price matches the quality... beautiful hair. Or for a cheaper option, but still Remy hair, try Halo... Both of these brands i have sold, and worn myself, and installed on clients and they are lovely quality, last a good length of time and can be straightened.

As for getting your money back, id try contacting the company again to return for a refund under your consumer rights. If they give you the brush off again then ask your local citizens advice bureau if there is some action you can take to get your money back.
Reply 3
Original post by IrKirsty
Hellooo, so basically on Thursday I bought my first set of hair extensions after doing lots of research for which company to get them from and found this one that seemed really good, found all good reviews for it and they seemed like a good deal so I bought some from them for £80 for 20inch ones. They arrived on Friday day when I realized the colour didn't match as much as I'd have liked it to (obviously not their fault) so I went out to the hairdressers and got my hair done to match it up. When I got back I was happy with them and went to put them in and it was all fine.
On the website, it says that they are 100% remy human hair so obviously, that is what i'd expect them to be, but a bit later on I went to straighten them and the only way I can describe it is that it looked like it had melted as if it were plastic? the hair itself had turned black and then I had this black melted residue left on the plates of my straighteners - which I took a photo of here and considering they claim to be human hair and I knew this wasn't right. In fact, this is from their FAQ on their website

So, I emailed the company explaining to them what had happened on Friday bearing in mind I would have only had the extensions for about 5 hours at this point and explained to them what they were doing and I included the photo, I mentioned to them the description of the black plasticy look it gave and this was the response I received -

Now, what would I possibly be able to do? I thought I had clear evidence with that picture that there was a problem with them and surely that goes against the sale of goods act? I'm currently considering making a video of me actually showing it happening and putting it on YouTube to try and get their attention somehow but would that backfire on me in any way? I mean, I would have no reason to lie about it - I was so excited to get these that I went to spend even more to get the colour matched up on myself which has just pee'd me off even more. Ahhh, sorry for the rant!! Any advice would be really appreciated!

They sound like liars to me.

Do they have a contact number? If not, send them another email and telling them you are going to contact trading standards and hold them in breech of the sale of goods act

If they are saying they are human hair, and they are NOT (obviously this will have to be proved- you could have a faulty batch) then you can take them to small claims court as they are provide you with false information about the item you have brought- there problem not yours.

I would seriously suggest email them (or phone if there is a number!), telling them you are giving them 48 hours to refund or that is exactly what you are going to do- and make sure you do it.
Reply 4
Maybe post a link of the website you brought them from, there might be someone else in a similar position/has been before to give you more of a "back up" if you like.
Reply 5
Hi, know this is an old thread, but did you ever sort the problem? I've recently (in the last few months) bought myself some "serenity 100% human hair" from julia know's in sheffield, under the same impression and this is exactly what happened to me when I went to straighten them.

I was wondering what happened and whether you were entitled to your money back or anything?

Quick Reply

Latest