The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
How can you write so much?!!! I could barely do two pages for each question. What questions did you do??

Normally I'm considered "slow" and struggling to finish
Original post by Tycho
In the Close Reading paper you aren't assessed on the quality of your expression. Indeed the marking instructions clearly state that you will gain marks if you have answered the question, irrespective of how laboured your answer was.

So don't panic. :smile:

I hope so. When I meant to write "they were honoured and took pride in his win" I wrote "they got really really excited by the fact that he won and it made them feel good as a country".. oh well :biggrin:
Original post by rawragee
I hope so. When I meant to write "they were honoured and took pride in his win" I wrote "they got really really excited by the fact that he won and it made them feel good as a country".. oh well :biggrin:

If I was the examiner and I seen that I'd give you extra marks.
Reply 663
Original post by TheDuck!

For my essays I done a poem called "To his Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell and a non fiction text called "A Hanging" by George Orwell. I doubt you will have done them. They are pretty strange pieces. Unique. I don't know anyone else other than the people in my class who have done them. They were not my first choices btw but I still think I managed to write good essays with them. Who knows, maybe the rarity of people doing them will push up my mark.

What did your write about?

I wrote on "A Hanging" as well. I completely agree with the rariety aspect of the essay; I think only a couple of people in my class chose to write about it, and we were the only class in my year who studied it as a text. What question did you answer on? :smile:
For q13 in the essay paper the question was on poetic structure. I wrote about contrast, a little bit on rhyme and alliteration...would alliteration count? It said to choose at least 2. I did a lot on contrast, a bit on alliteration (if it's even correct) and a tiny bit on rhyme. I have I just totally failed as I wrote about alliteration? :frown: :frown: :frown:
<br />
<br />
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by Scrabble96
For q13 in the essay paper the question was on poetic structure. I wrote about contrast, a little bit on rhyme and alliteration...would alliteration count? It said to choose at least 2. I did a lot on contrast, a bit on alliteration (if it's even correct) and a tiny bit on rhyme. I have I just totally failed as I wrote about alliteration? :frown: :frown: :frown:

Relax, you won't have failed!! Alliteration is part of the language/structure of the poem and is perfectly relevant :biggrin:
Reply 666
Hi guys I was wondering if I will get unfavourably marked for my Q.13 essay as 4 of my paragraphs focused on contrast whereas only one focused Climax?
Reply 667
Some teachers figure out the answers and post them online so people can take a look at a rough idea of the answers. Has anyone seen one yet? :redface:

I remember I checked after the credit maths exam :smile:
I know this is an "English" discussion, but i would really appreciate some maths help!
I created a new thread with my question...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2005750

Thanks!
Original post by JaggySnake95
If I was the examiner and I seen that I'd give you extra marks.

I wish you were my marker! :biggrin: my language was about as complex as a three year old, my embarrassing answers keep coming back to me :getmecoat:
Reply 670
In 2011 and 2010, if I remember correctly, it has been 65% and 64% respectively to get an A.

So, broken down, I can get 30/50 for my Close Reading ( Hoping for mid 30s, but 30 will be my lowest. )
A 17 and a 15 for my essays hopefully, and two 19s for my folio pieces ( which I think may be a bit higher, 19 being the minimum. )

And that's 65%, even though I hypothetically got a B in Close Reading, and a B in my essays, my Folio pulled me up to an overall A.

I hate English, and I used to struggle with it a lot. But in hindsight, it's not too difficult to get an A. I'm hoping for a B, but an A would be... well, that would be ****ing surreal.
Reply 671
I hate English, and I used to struggle with it a lot. But in hindsight, it's not too difficult to get an A. I'm hoping for a B, but an A would be... well, that would be ****ing surreal.

Exactly.

As i mentioned before, as long as there is balance it should be fine.
You can do quite bad in something as long as you are fairly confident about something else.

Sending out positive thoughts and let's hope we all stop stressing out as there is nothing we can do or find out until August.
Original post by DragonWalnut157
Relax, you won't have failed!! Alliteration is part of the language/structure of the poem and is perfectly relevant :biggrin:

Haha, thanks. Hope you're right. I'm having serious doubts about my essay now...damn!

If you spell an answer wrong in close reading, do you still get the marks?

Reply 674
If you spell an answer wrong in close reading, do you still get the marks?

They don't care about spelling, punctuation or grammar in the Close Reading, it's all about your ability to analyse. As such, if you spelt something wrong you will still get marks, if the answer is right!
Reply 675
If you write more, then you have much more analysis so does that not mean you would gain a higher mark? I am confused over this, yes some people can write a couple of pages and get very high marks as their analysis is clear. If you write about ten pages and have a lot of analysis then the majority of it is bound to be more worthy therefore higher marks?
Is this how it would work or am I wrong? :L
Reply 676
If you write more, then you have much more analysis so does that not mean you would gain a higher mark? I am confused over this, yes some people can write a couple of pages and get very high marks as their analysis is clear. If you write about ten pages and have a lot of analysis then the majority of it is bound to be more worthy therefore higher marks?
Reply 677

Some people write loads and loads but contain nothing substantial so it is just rambling.
Quality not quantity.
What do you think the grade boundaries will be this year?

What do you think the grade boundaries will be this year?

There is no way of telling, no one has the ability to predict this, not even SQA at this point as the papers havent been marked, once marked there is a markers meeting, then boundaries are set. Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending