The Student Room Group

Coursework Conclusion help required!!

Hi all, well im more or less on my conclusion of my A2 history coursework, ive tried to save approx 400-500 words for my conclusion, and i need some advice on how to write an excellent conclusion . One that will go beyond the boundaries and generally sound amazing. :biggrin:

Just to let you know my study is on Joseph II

Thanks
A conclusion is basically where you 'conclude' your argument. That means, drawing in all the things you have mentioned in the body of the essay, and using that to support your own judgement. By support, I mean you put your point across and back it up with dates, statistics, events and all the rest of it. Showing awareness of another point of view, even though you don't agree with it is a good thing to do as it gives the argument balance, and shows your awareness of all the different possible ways of looking at it, rather than a close-minded one view only.

You should not be mentioning anything completely new, that is, not already mentioned in the argument, in the conclusion, as it is bad practise, and may look like you haven't thought out your essay very well.

I don't know anything about your exact title topic though, is that Joseph II of Austria?

But I hope this helps.
I know nothing about the subject, sorry, but might be able to help a little with conclusions more generally. You should already know what you're going to say as such - "always write an essay with your conclusion in mind" is what we're told. You just have to make sure that any loose points are tied up, you make the reader clear which side of the discussion you are arguing (usually a "xxx was the most important factor clearly" etc) and try not to introduce any new ideas or discussion points. A quote by somebody (historian or historical figure) summing up your own view, or your opposing view, is nice to include as well, especially if it's particularly articulate. Ensure that you make it clear that in reaching your conclusion, you have considered the other sides of the argument but why you have chosen to disagree with them (as a result of the sources or evidence you have found, because of the weaknesses or holes in the other side of the argument etc). Finally, make it very clear that you are answering your essay title. It seems obvious, I know, but if the question is "do you agree or disagree" make sure your conclusion almost relays the question, or you answer "to a great extent/xx was important to a lesser extent" if the essay question asks you to do so, as it makes it clear to the examiner your essay has a clear line of argument and you are sticking to answering the question.
1. do not start with "to conclude"
2. try to use a quotation. quick example, if i'm writing a william of orange essay, i'd end with Motley's quote "when he lived, he was the guiding star of a whole brave nation, and when he died the little children cried in the streets" or orange's words "I have come to make my grave in this land" which is an indication of his determination. try to end it on a high note
3. do not re-iterate your points. you may want to briefly piorotise reasons etc but there is no point to repeat
4. link it to the question.
Reply 4
Sagittarius_GBR
You should not be mentioning anything completely new, that is, not already mentioned in the argument, in the conclusion, as it is bad practise, and may look like you haven't thought out your essay very well.

You've said this elsewhere, but it's not necessarily true. The conclusion can be used to develop your argument, or to explore the question itself, pulling apart key terms, which is something you probably won't have done in the rest of your essay. A conclusion which just sums up the rest of the essay is pretty useless, they already know what you think, because they've just read it, you should use the conclusion to further the essay, not restate it.
Cantab
You've said this elsewhere, but it's not necessarily true. The conclusion can be used to develop your argument, or to explore the question itself, pulling apart key terms, which is something you probably won't have done in the rest of your essay. A conclusion which just sums up the rest of the essay is pretty useless, they already know what you think, because they've just read it, you should use the conclusion to further the essay, not restate it.

If you were going to pull apart key terms you would do that in the introduction so that the reader knows your stance and how you will interpret them, along with the meaning of the question, from the beginning.

I also said this:

"Showing awareness of another point of view, even though you don't agree with it is a good thing to do as it gives the argument balance, and shows your awareness of all the different possible ways of looking at it, rather than a close-minded one view only."

That is, not only restating your argument in condensed form, but saying why you believe it is better/more accurate than a conflicting interpretation, and selecting detail used in your main body to support your judgement.

Latest

Trending

Trending