The Student Room Group

English Literature NEA coursework

Hi I've just started my English literature coursework and I'm thinking of comparing 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley to 'Poor things' by Alasdair gray. The key themes prevalent in both books are attitudes to women, scientific daring, and pursuit of knowledge. Can someone help me come up with a coursework title with either one of these themes or a theme you think would be best?Thanks
The ‘Horror’ of The Subjectivity of Women: an in-depth exploration comparison on the themes surrounding the distortion of women in literature.

Alas, Daire I say: a comprehensive comparative analysis on the idea of the pursuit of knowledge in literature.

I can’t really think of one for scientific daring, though the second title could be used for it. These are a lil jokey though, so I understand if you don’t want to use them to remain professional.

I would suggest some other themes such as the distortion of love as Frankenstein was a creature desperate for the love of his father and his community, whilst Bella was created to be loved until she no longer served a purpose and was then left lonely with out it, as well as the fact that both these lives were perverse as their creators believed to have complete ownership over them. The act of creation is also a good theme, as Frankenstein is physically created and molded by another, which you could contrast with the fact that Bella was sort of ‘found’, but then her whole life was created by the fallacy of someone who thought he owned her, and then later determined by another man seeking the truth about her horror of a life, whilst the one that should have been telling her own story was Bella. Other lesser themes could be the loss of a voice, both physically and socially / emotionally, the feeling of abandonment, the allegory of politics and man-made-god statures, the swap of attitudes based on the gender of the monster, etc.

Good luck on your NEA!
Original post by sgreen0502
The ‘Horror’ of The Subjectivity of Women: an in-depth exploration comparison on the themes surrounding the distortion of women in literature.

Alas, Daire I say: a comprehensive comparative analysis on the idea of the pursuit of knowledge in literature.

I can’t really think of one for scientific daring, though the second title could be used for it. These are a lil jokey though, so I understand if you don’t want to use them to remain professional.

I would suggest some other themes such as the distortion of love as Frankenstein was a creature desperate for the love of his father and his community, whilst Bella was created to be loved until she no longer served a purpose and was then left lonely with out it, as well as the fact that both these lives were perverse as their creators believed to have complete ownership over them. The act of creation is also a good theme, as Frankenstein is physically created and molded by another, which you could contrast with the fact that Bella was sort of ‘found’, but then her whole life was created by the fallacy of someone who thought he owned her, and then later determined by another man seeking the truth about her horror of a life, whilst the one that should have been telling her own story was Bella. Other lesser themes could be the loss of a voice, both physically and socially / emotionally, the feeling of abandonment, the allegory of politics and man-made-god statures, the swap of attitudes based on the gender of the monster, etc.

Good luck on your NEA!

Thank you so much! This is really useful

Good luck on your NEA!

hi! im also doing coursework! Would i be able to dm you for help? it would be really helpful
Original post by sabrineee
hi! im also doing coursework! Would i be able to dm you for help? it would be really helpful

Of course!

Good luck on your NEA!

Hiya, I need to write a detailed plan for my NEA. Would you be able to help me with this? If I use the title as the one you suggested to do with the way women are presented.
Original post by hannahsajan24
Hiya, I need to write a detailed plan for my NEA. Would you be able to help me with this? If I use the title as the one you suggested to do with the way women are presented.

Sure! I can give it a go, at least!
Sure! I can give it a go, at least!

So I don't really know how to structure it at all. If you could come up with a structure of what to include in each part like intro, main body, and conclusion and this will give me a better idea of how to plan. I will adapt it and make it more detailed after.
Original post by hannahsajan24
So I don't really know how to structure it at all. If you could come up with a structure of what to include in each part like intro, main body, and conclusion and this will give me a better idea of how to plan. I will adapt it and make it more detailed after.

Alrighty! Well, let me know your main ideas after this, to see if we can link them in with what I suggest, if you want to use any of it. That way you’ll be able to understand exactly what you wanna put down. Also, if your teachers have provided anything to help, see if you can mesh that in as well.

For the Intro: take some time to detail the two pieces you’re using, describing the story progression mostly, and also include outside elements like date of publication, brief author life history, what views they may have had when writing the piece. From what I remember, my NEA was supposed to be long so you could use a paragraph each to detail what happens in both stories and I don’t know if you’re meant to reference, but if you can find some that might be good, but definitely talk about it with your teachers. Then, I’d suggest focusing on the main overarching theme you want to discuss - attitudes to women. You’ll have to link back to the title, notably the ‘horror’ element, which will express to your teacher that you know the genre (obviously) that the two pieces reflect on Frankenstein is set in the genre, whilst Poor Things is a retelling of Frankenstein through a different pair of eyes. This also sets the theme of the essay overall and what to expect, that you find that the attitudes surrounding women, the lack of women present, the lack of agency they have, is ‘horrifying.’ You can then follow this up either in the intro or the main body with sub themes that can be found in both pieces of literature. You’ll also have to reflect on this in your conclusion, to signify you’ve come full circle and your point is valid.

Sub-Theme ideas: like I said before, the lack of agency of women, the element of manipulative control / distortion of love possibly as Frankenstein is forbidden from reproducing, the figure of men controlling the narrative, the use of a ‘perfect design’ and subjective beauty i.e Frankenstein was beautiful until he was alive and could speak and create thoughts that werent his masters, Bella was beautiful to look at and touch but wasn’t allowed to speak, etc

Main body: this is where youd develop the sub themes to support the view youre taking on attitudes to women. Keep in mind, the NEA is a comparison essay, so you’ll be discussing the differences between the pieces and the familiarity between them, don’t try to determine one is better than the other as that’s a subjective, personal opinion. In terms of structuring format, as I said with the intro, take a paragraph to discuss each of your points for both pieces of literature, so about two paragraphs for each sub theme you want to explore. If you chose three sub-themes, youd have six paragraphs discussing the differences, the familiarity, the history, the narrative voices, etc of both pieces. Thankfully, there’s a lot to work with nowadays due to feminist discussions, so see if any line up with the attitudes surrounding women in your literature pieces i.e were they ignored/underestimated by the men in their life, were they used as a prop to further a mans story. Noticeably, you can use the point of Bellas story being told by not just her manipulative controller, but also by her ‘saviour’ of Alistaire Daire, using her as a prop to further his own scientific discovery. When you’ve used these paragraphs to discuss you should have able nine paragraphs in total, if you decide to explore three.

Conclusion: this is where it would all come together honestly. Nothing new should really be found in this part, as it sorta expresses to your examiner that you’ve only just realised it and were too lazy to explore it. You can wrap up your points and condense them back into linking them to the overarching theme of attitudes to women, linking on the idea of it being horrifying, as stated earlier. You could finish it by determining the amount of differences and similarities between the two texts and offer a small opinion on the pieces as well before closing.

I hope that helps! I haven’t done an NEA in a while and the one I did had to be a fiction and non-fiction comparison. Let me know how it goes tho!
Alrighty! Well, let me know your main ideas after this, to see if we can link them in with what I suggest, if you want to use any of it. That way you’ll be able to understand exactly what you wanna put down. Also, if your teachers have provided anything to help, see if you can mesh that in as well.

For the Intro: take some time to detail the two pieces you’re using, describing the story progression mostly, and also include outside elements like date of publication, brief author life history, what views they may have had when writing the piece. From what I remember, my NEA was supposed to be long so you could use a paragraph each to detail what happens in both stories and I don’t know if you’re meant to reference, but if you can find some that might be good, but definitely talk about it with your teachers. Then, I’d suggest focusing on the main overarching theme you want to discuss - attitudes to women. You’ll have to link back to the title, notably the ‘horror’ element, which will express to your teacher that you know the genre (obviously) that the two pieces reflect on Frankenstein is set in the genre, whilst Poor Things is a retelling of Frankenstein through a different pair of eyes. This also sets the theme of the essay overall and what to expect, that you find that the attitudes surrounding women, the lack of women present, the lack of agency they have, is ‘horrifying.’ You can then follow this up either in the intro or the main body with sub themes that can be found in both pieces of literature. You’ll also have to reflect on this in your conclusion, to signify you’ve come full circle and your point is valid.

Sub-Theme ideas: like I said before, the lack of agency of women, the element of manipulative control / distortion of love possibly as Frankenstein is forbidden from reproducing, the figure of men controlling the narrative, the use of a ‘perfect design’ and subjective beauty i.e Frankenstein was beautiful until he was alive and could speak and create thoughts that werent his masters, Bella was beautiful to look at and touch but wasn’t allowed to speak, etc

Main body: this is where youd develop the sub themes to support the view youre taking on attitudes to women. Keep in mind, the NEA is a comparison essay, so you’ll be discussing the differences between the pieces and the familiarity between them, don’t try to determine one is better than the other as that’s a subjective, personal opinion. In terms of structuring format, as I said with the intro, take a paragraph to discuss each of your points for both pieces of literature, so about two paragraphs for each sub theme you want to explore. If you chose three sub-themes, youd have six paragraphs discussing the differences, the familiarity, the history, the narrative voices, etc of both pieces. Thankfully, there’s a lot to work with nowadays due to feminist discussions, so see if any line up with the attitudes surrounding women in your literature pieces i.e were they ignored/underestimated by the men in their life, were they used as a prop to further a mans story. Noticeably, you can use the point of Bellas story being told by not just her manipulative controller, but also by her ‘saviour’ of Alistaire Daire, using her as a prop to further his own scientific discovery. When you’ve used these paragraphs to discuss you should have able nine paragraphs in total, if you decide to explore three.

Conclusion: this is where it would all come together honestly. Nothing new should really be found in this part, as it sorta expresses to your examiner that you’ve only just realised it and were too lazy to explore it. You can wrap up your points and condense them back into linking them to the overarching theme of attitudes to women, linking on the idea of it being horrifying, as stated earlier. You could finish it by determining the amount of differences and similarities between the two texts and offer a small opinion on the pieces as well before closing.

I hope that helps! I haven’t done an NEA in a while and the one I did had to be a fiction and non-fiction comparison. Let me know how it goes tho!

Oh and I forgot to add, see if you can explore motifs and allegories as best you can, itll definitely boost it a little more!
Oh and I forgot to add, see if you can explore motifs and allegories as best you can, itll definitely boost it a little more!

Ok thank you so much for all the advice! it's really useful! I'll let you know if i have any more quieries x
Also, i've been thinking about merging 2 ideas for the title. I like the one regarding attitudes to women, I think I'm set on doing that theme.
so the 1st one you said i like - The 'horror' of the subjectivity of women.
i would like a different second part but also incorporating the ' distortion of women in literature'.
I like the titles that start with ' it has been said' that... and then inserting a suitable quote. Would you be able to mash these ideas together to create a title?
Reply 12
Of course!

Hi, if you’re still active would it be okay if I asked for help? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending