The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by CatRox
I'm on placement and I wake up at 5am to leave at 6.15am. I finish at 9.15pm and get home about 10.15pm.

That is possibly the worst thing i've ever heard. Don't have a clue how you do it :redface: you have my sympathy.
Reply 81
I had one 9am lecture last semester and my alarm used to go off at 5:15 so I could get to London in time. NOT FUN.

Thankfully my earliest this semester is 10am so a much nicer 6:00am alarm. I know it's only 45 minutes but it makes a hell of a difference.
I start uni at 9 every day, and work at 8.30 on a Saturday. Thank goodness for Sundays.
Original post by Flylebird
In my halls, we can request personal wake-up calls by asking reception downstairs.

That sounds brilliant, but I'd end up being very rude to the receptionist.
Original post by LtCommanderData
I do this, and still managed to sleep through them and miss a lecture yesterday. I think I need to change my alarm sound. My brain has obviously gotten used to this one!

I have an alarm with a snooze button every 5mins - if you dont stop it bleeping it gets faster and faster until its just a constant sound!
Reply 85
I have a 9 tomorrow, and my bike lock is jammed shut so I have to walk :frown: :frown: :frown:

I don't live more than 25 minutes walk from the city centre, but still...
Just get into a routine of going to sleep at about midnight and wake up at about 8am and you're sorted. It's not exactly late and frankly, getting only 6 hours if you go out isn't the end of the world. You also need to get into a 'my alarm has gone off I have to get up now' mentality. None of this 'oh, I'll just have another 10 minutes' crap. Get up as soon as your alarm goes off - sit up in your bed and turn your light on.
the worst part is for us who wear contact lenses ,normally i would wake up 8:45,dressed and eat in 10 minutes and go to uni{i live close} but now i wake up at 7:30 wait until 8 and then them attempt to put contact lenses..
I make more of an effort to get in at 9am then a 11am one. The 11am one i have attended 1/12 lectures this year lol. 9am i make a conscious effort and feel i can do it on 5 hours sleep. Anything less than 4 and i will feel ill so not a lot of point seeing as it's 3 hours. How i got up for 7.30 everyday for school i will never know. I wish i could get back into that sort of pattern. But going out a couple of times a week even messes these patterns up completely.

In first year i didn't hardly ever attend the 9am ones. Sadly times change.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got my new semester timetable. I now have to get up at 3am because i apparently have to ride a boat to uni.
Reply 90
I used to have to get up at 1am and then travel 3000 miles to get to my lecture which started at 3am on the top of a mountain.

I had these lectures up to 8 days a week and they often lasted 32 hours a time.

But if you try telling kids today... they just don't believe you.
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

i went to bed at 1 am for mine today, and got woken up at 3 am by smoke alarms going off as someone left a hob on. Spent 20 minutes trying to get the smoke out of the house before going back to bed, to ages to sleep, and still managed to wake up at 8 to go in for a 9am

Wish I had time for a shower though, smelling like smoke all the way to uni and back wasn't good :frown:
Reply 92
at school I used to wake up at half 6 everymorning go to school but then most days I would come home have a few hours break and then go to work in a pub.

I don't understand why if I used to get home from work at 2ish and get up for half 6 I find going to anything before about 12 impossible now
Original post by LtCommanderData
I do this, and still managed to sleep through them and miss a lecture yesterday. I think I need to change my alarm sound. My brain has obviously gotten used to this one!

Me too! Except I don't have 9am lectures, I have one 10am on a monday, I slept through it yesterday. My mum woke me up on her way out to work and I promptly went back to sleep. But yea, I have one at 1pm and I'm probably going to miss it, even though I've been out since 9am today.
I don't even live on campus so have to get up even earlier than my coursemates :frown:
I'm looking forward to uni in September, getting to start as late as 9am. Right now I work at McDonald's and I'm mostly on the breakfast shift, starting at 6am. HATE getting up at 5, and I hate going to bed so early.
Original post by lyrical_lie
Me too! Except I don't have 9am lectures, I have one 10am on a monday, I slept through it yesterday. My mum woke me up on her way out to work and I promptly went back to sleep. But yea, I have one at 1pm and I'm probably going to miss it, even though I've been out since 9am today.

Haha, my earliest lectures are at 10 as well, but I didn't want to complain about how difficult it is to get up for 10 AM lectures in case I aggravated the people who have to get up at times we could actually fairly call 'early' :tongue:
Reply 97
I have a 2 hour seminar on Monday mornings at 9am, my sleep pattern at the moment means I'm not asleep till about 4am so yesterday I got up for it only having had 4 hours sleep. Trouble with that was today I had another seminar at 11 and slept in till 2pm :colondollar:
Think yourselves lucky, to get into Uni for a 9am lecture, I have to get out of bed at 4:45am, set off at 5:45am, take 3 trains and get there around 8:25...

I usually get between 45 minutes and 4 hours sleep...

Thankfully I do this once a week... that was today :biggrin:
I don't get why so many of you live so far from the unis you go to. You'd make your lives so much easier if you lived nearer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending