The Student Room Group

Will my parents' savings affect my maintenance loan?

So I sent off my application and SFE have sent a form back requesting my mother's financial documents. Among them they want evidence of savings. My parents' have thousands of pounds in savings. Now I noticed repeatedly throughout the process of completing an application the phrase "household income" and I'm wondering if this will affect my maintenance loan, since the money is in savings but they are specifically looking at the income gained from it, which is only a small amount of interest per year. Because my actual household income is very low (I'm from a working class background).

Help is appreciated :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Maintenance Loan isn't affected by household income though the maintenance grant is.
For Maint grant it's only the interest which is classified as income not the gross amount of savings. SFE will want the gross income of your parents for the tax year 10/11 to complete the assessment.

Edit: Sorry, I stand corrected. About 2/3rds is not affected by income, the rest would be. But I would have thought the the income generated by current interest rates would not affect your entitlement. (But then I don't know how much you're talking about).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by glf2110
Maintenance Loan isn't affected by household income though the maintenance grant is.
For Maint grant it's only the interest which is classified as income not the gross amount of savings. SFE will want the gross income of your parents for the tax year 10/11 to complete the assessment.

The maintenance loan is affected by household income, if youre household income is over £42000 then the loan is reduced.
Reply 3
I'm not sure it's the actual savings, but the interest on them? My mum mentioned something like that anyway.
Reply 4
the interest that they earn on those savings counts as household income (luckily interest rates are low so it doesnt affect the overall household income that much)
Reply 5
The savings won't affect your entitlement, but the interest they earn on the savings will need to be declared as unearned income.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending