The Student Room Group

Pros and cons of a joint honours in law and economics

Hey guys,

I'll be studying LLB Law and Economics at Swansea in September. What are the cons of doing this as opposed to a single honours in LLB Law, and are there any pros? My dad, a single honours LLB graduate from decades ago himself, reckons that single honours is 'the way to go' (and is 'still preferred by most employers'). But I thoroughly enjoy economics, and am looking forward to law as well.

Also, is an LLB Law and Economics degree worse than an LLB Law degree (single honours) if I want to approach the bar or become a solicitor?
Reply 1
Furthermore: this LLB joint honours degree is a fully qualifying degree.
Reply 2
Pros: It has a longer title
Cons: You will catch aids.
I did LLB Law with History and even though I now don't want to do anything with my law degree.. every other person on my course did a dual honours degree and they've all got on just fine!!

If anything, law can sometimes be tediously boring to study so doing another subject for 2 years is a nice release! :smile:
Reply 4
is your course a 3 or 4 year course?
Reply 5
OP, I don't think doing LLB Law and Economics is in any way detrimental to your future. You will gain knowledge of economics and that is often a good thing to have if you want to
work in the City.

If it's a qualifying law degree, you also will not have to spend your money on the GDL, so there's nothing to worry about, I would think.
Reply 6
I think Law and Economics will definately give you a really good degree, maybe not the best path if you solely want to practice law, but if you are looking for a different path, bringing in economics, working for The Government, business etc then I think you are on to a winner!

Good luck whatever you decide, but do what you want to do, other wise your heart and motivation won't be in it!

Latest

Trending

Trending