The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Chemistry is a must at most unis.

chem,bio,maths and one other subject would be a good combination.
Reply 2
Pegasus92
Chemistry is a must at most unis.

chem,bio,maths and one other subject would be a good combination.

thanks for the quick reply
so if i do not choose biology i will not be disadvantaged/unable to study medicine?
Reply 3
andy2494
thanks for the quick reply
so if i do not choose biology i will not be disadvantaged/unable to study medicine?

Biology is not a must by all the unis, but some require to AS atleast.
I would say its better to do bio atleast till AS, but better do A2 bio too.
Reply 4
Pegasus92
Biology is not a must by all the unis, but some require to AS atleast.
I would say its better to do bio atleast till AS, but better do A2 bio too.

ok cheers
as i am not sure if medicine is the route i would like to go down do you think if i took chemistry and physics and maths and further maths to A2 but no biology i would stand a chance at the better universities for medicine-or is that pushing it?

thanks
Reply 5
andy2494
ok cheers
as i am not sure if medicine is the route i would like to go down do you think if i took chemistry and physics and maths and further maths to A2 but no biology i would stand a chance at the better universities for medicine-or is that pushing it?

thanks

Yeah that would be fine.
Reply 6
Pegasus92
Yeah that would be fine.

thanks you have been really helpful
i'd drop further maths and do something else instead.

chem bio and maths are a good start though
Reply 8
Biology + Chemistry are preferred is not necessary in most places. Even is they aren't required, just think how competitive the course is. So with them you'l be far better off. Maybe Physics/Maths as a 3rd, if you're doing a 4th as well, something you enjoy would be far easier, like a language.
Reply 9
didgeridoo12uk
i'd drop further maths and do something else instead.

chem bio and maths are a good start though

Yeah dropping further maths is definitely the common sense thing to do. You don't need a 4th, Uni's don't favour or even look at the 4th subject. And some don't even count it.
Nevertheless I have carried it onto A2, just see how it goes!!
Reply 10
BeekieBoo
Biology + Chemistry are preferred is not necessary in most places. Even is they aren't required, just think how competitive the course is. So with them you'l be far better off. Maybe Physics/Maths as a 3rd, if you're doing a 4th as well, something you enjoy would be far easier, like a language.

i am going to do 5 and maths and further maths are definates
for my 5th i am doing a different type of A-level (ethics and philosophy/economics/history)

the point about competitive unis is a good one
i suppose if i want to get into the best ones i should take biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and econ/ethics
Reply 11
andy2494
thanks you have been really helpful

welcome:smile:
Reply 12
andy2494
i am going to do 5 and maths and further maths are definates
for my 5th i am doing a different type of A-level (ethics and philosophy/economics/history)

the point about competitive unis is a good one
i suppose if i want to get into the best ones i should take biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and econ/ethics

5 is a lot of work :O Are you aware Universities don't even look at your 4th/5th? They value work experience far more.
I asked someone involved in selecting, if someone had 4 A-levels and lots of experience, and someone had 3 and just a tiny bit more, it'd be the 3 she would pick. Uni's ask for 3 A2's because that's what they want. They don't want any more!!
But sure go for it, I think a language would be good though. Vocational subjects aren't looked on favourably i didn't think.
Reply 13
BeekieBoo
5 is a lot of work :O Are you aware Universities don't even look at your 4th/5th? They value work experience far more.
I asked someone involved in selecting, if someone had 4 A-levels and lots of experience, and someone had 3 and just a tiny bit more, it'd be the 3 she would pick. Uni's ask for 3 A2's because that's what they want. They don't want any more!!
But sure go for it, I think a language would be good though. Vocational subjects aren't looked on favourably i didn't think.

sorry-when i said'different A-level' i meant an arts subject as opposed to a maths/sciencey subject-not a vocational A-level

i wasn't aware that your 4 and 5 were not really taken into consideration but at my school you are encouraged to take 5 when taking maths and further maths. then if you fail maths you still have 3 A-levels.

languages are not my strongest subject-i am hoping to scrape an A at GCSE and i doubt the course will run in my school due to lack of numbers

thanks

Latest