The Student Room Group

Official TSR Accounting and Finance Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by jaydemikaela
:hello:

I'm applying to Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Oxford Brookes and Hertfordshire. How about you?

Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham & Sheffield - i was thinking of applying to kent - but its too close to home :smile:!
Have you sent off your ucas application yet?
Original post by Ree-Shay<3
Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham & Sheffield - i was thinking of applying to kent - but its too close to home :smile:!
Have you sent off your ucas application yet?

Cool :smile:

Yeah I sent it off on 8th October :smile:
So I'm doing some tutorial work for my advanced financial module and I just can't be bothered. I'm just consolidating a holding company with a joint venture, sub, associate and a second joint venture but I'm finding all the individual workings to be repetative and a bit boring.
Reply 83
Original post by marieisfab

marieisfab
So I'm doing some tutorial work for my advanced financial module and I just can't be bothered. I'm just consolidating a holding company with a joint venture, sub, associate and a second joint venture but I'm finding all the individual workings to be repetative and a bit boring.

I feel like this sometimes, just need to find the motivation..
Reply 84
Good luck to all of our 2011 applicants! :smile:
Reply 85
Hello everyone!

Does any of you plan to apply for a postgraduate course or studied Accounting and Finance at a postgraduate level? I have a BA in Finance and Business Information Systems and I wondered how it is like to do a masters in a similar finance/accounting related field. What is the workload of a typical masters programme in the UK? Is it much, much harder than undergraduate study?:tongue:

I am thinking of applying for MSc Accounting and Financial Management at the University of York. I looked at the course content and I was really surpised by the amount of indicative reading they propose. Some of the books are 800 pages :eek: Do the tutors really demand that students will read and bone up all of that in such a short period of time? Could you tell me how much time you spent daily on reading during your masters? Was there a lot of theory during the course or it was more task focused (calculations etc.)?

Has anyone studied accounting and finance at southampton, birmingham or sussex?? I am also taking these into account :cool:Could you share your experiences with me?:biggrin:

Thanks for a reply
Reply 86
Original post by rolanddz
Hello everyone!

Does any of you plan to apply for a postgraduate course or studied Accounting and Finance at a postgraduate level? I have a BA in Finance and Business Information Systems and I wondered how it is like to do a masters in a similar finance/accounting related field. What is the workload of a typical masters programme in the UK? Is it much, much harder than undergraduate study?:tongue:

I am thinking of applying for MSc Accounting and Financial Management at the University of York. I looked at the course content and I was really surpised by the amount of indicative reading they propose. Some of the books are 800 pages :eek: Do the tutors really demand that students will read and bone up all of that in such a short period of time? Could you tell me how much time you spent daily on reading during your masters? Was there a lot of theory during the course or it was more task focused (calculations etc.)?

Has anyone studied accounting and finance at southampton, birmingham or sussex?? I am also taking these into account :cool:Could you share your experiences with me?:biggrin:

Thanks for a reply

Hi, welcome! :h:

I'm currently studying an undergraduate course so may not be able to help. However, I'm aware that the group deputy leader is currently studying a Msc course in Accounting and Finance who may be of more help :smile:

Ice_Queen
x

Do you think it may be possible to offer rolandzz some of your expertise? :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by samanthaaaa
Hi, welcome! :h:

I'm currently studying an undergraduate course so may not be able to help. However, I'm aware that the group deputy leader is currently studying a Msc course in Accounting and Finance who may be of more help :smile:

Do you think it may be possible to offer rolandzz some of your expertise? :smile:

It would be really great. I look forward for the commentary :wink:

Thank you in advance. :smile:
Hello everyone!

Thanks for a reply

Hiya, I'm doing an MSc Accounting & Financial Management.

I'd say you're expected to do a lot more of your own work. As a guideline, we are asked to do around two hours for every hour of contact time (which, if any of us counted, would be more than a full time job). You'll probably not be expected to read an entire 800 page book, but you'll certainly be asked to read more than you're taught - one criterion in one of my courseworks is to show "evidence of reading further around the topic"!

The actual content differs. I have some accounting modules for which I covered most of the content during my undergraduate, but the econometrics has jumped! I have yet to find out what the rest of the financy stuff will be like (I'm an accountant through training, not a financy person). I have found that in my modules so far (Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation, Audit & Assurance, Corporate Finance, and Quantitative Methods for Finance), there isn't much calculation except, of course, in Quantitative Methods (though there are basic ratios, capital investment calculations, nothing too strenuous, and we haven't been expected to draw up entire balance sheets).

Some of those modules, however, are theoretical by nature, you just can't do calculations in audit! It will, of course, depend on your university.

Just ask if you have any specific questions about studying postgrad :smile:

Jessica x
Reply 89
Hello Jessica,

Thank you for your reply it's very helpful :wink: It's good to hear that there is no need to learn every single page of the book :wink:. I was just surpised by the amount of material they suggested students learn. It sounds nearly impossible to do :redface:. So I guess that tutors will show some powerpoint presentations during the course as a guidance to what students are advised to read.

Could you tell me which university you applied for? :tongue:
Hello Jessica,

Thank you for your reply it's very helpful :wink: It's good to hear that there is no need to learn every single page of the book :wink:. I was just surpised by the amount of material they suggested students learn. It sounds nearly impossible to do :redface:. So I guess that tutors will show some powerpoint presentations during the course as a guidance to what students are advised to read.

Could you tell me which university you applied for? :tongue:

You'll want to be doing a lot, but it's not feasible for them to expect you to read ten 800 page books, is it now :p: I would recommend using sources outside of the recommended reading as well :smile: There is a lot of material, but we're not baby undergraduates any more, it's time to work.

Yes, powerpoints (or similar) will be used (depending on where you are) to give you a grasp of the basics. You should be able to work your way up from there.

I study at Coventry :smile:
Reply 91
Thanks a million for a reply. It gives me a good overview how it is like to be a postgraduate student in the UK. On one hand I am getting more and more convinced to go for it but on the other I am a little bit scared of a workload especially in a foreign language. (English is not my mother tongue). But there is still huge part of me that says: "what the hell...you will get through this" :colone:
It seems that I need start looking for a good course and working on my PS :eek:

Once again thanks for help. If something new comes to my mind, I will post my doubts here:smile:
Thanks a million for a reply. It gives me a good overview how it is like to be a postgraduate student in the UK. On one hand I am getting more and more convinced to go for it but on the other I am a little bit scared of a workload especially in a foreign language. (English is not my mother tongue). But there is still huge part of me that says: "what the hell...you will get through this" :colone:
It seems that I need start looking for a good course and working on my PS :eek:

Once again thanks for help. If something new comes to my mind, I will post my doubts here:smile:

That's alright, any time :smile:

I don't mean to scare you off :p: About 80% of students on my course are international (at the least) and they seem to be coping well enough :smile:
guys.. i don't really have much of a business or economic academic background, but i have an interest in it, and have knowledge which isnt really part of a structured curriculum...
is this going to put me behind when i start uni? can i read a few books before to put myself ahead of where i am?
Reply 94
Original post by inspirational912

Original post by inspirational912
guys.. i don't really have much of a business or economic academic background, but i have an interest in it, and have knowledge which isnt really part of a structured curriculum...
is this going to put me behind when i start uni? can i read a few books before to put myself ahead of where i am?

I think they assume that no-one really has much of a starting point in these areas. My school never offered any A Levels particularly relevant to this area at all other than perhaps maths which I think is always useful!

Your university will know that everyone has a different starting point and should cover everything from the ground up. I will warn you though, this might be at quite a pace! If you're interested in the subject and willing to put in the time reading your course materials or anything they recommend to you then I'm sure you're going to be just fine!

I can't really offer you any specific books to start reading as I study with the Open University and am provided with their own very comprehensive texts.
Got an offer from Surrey :woo:
Reply 96

Congrats! :awesome:
Original post by samanthaaaa
Congrats! :awesome:

Offer from Southampton :biggrin:
Reply 99

Original post by Zakky
Offer from Southampton :biggrin:

Wow congratulations to the both of you!

BTW Zakky why did you choose Southampton - (i was think of replacing it wit b'ham)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending