The Student Room Group

Do Vegetarians eat meat/BBQ flavoured crisps?

Hi all,

I was eating lunch with a few friends, one of whom is a vegetarian and another who is a vegan, and we somehow we started talking about why they dont eat meat flavoured crisps. I mean its not like they have any meat in them and and half the time they dont even taste like any meat. They told me that it was simply a matter of princaple, however they dont actually contain any meat, so it did seem quite odd. Then my vegan friend told me that tey dont even eat cheese and onion, that just seemed farfetched, but hey, at least i get to enjoy the delights of cheese and onion, and flame grilled steak... mmmmmmm....:biggrin:

Do any vegetarians here eat meat flavoured crisps or is it a general consencus between you that you dont?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I do, s'long as the packet says they're suitable... mind you I'm a rebellious veggie (pescatarian on a wild day) and have been a vegetarian for less than four months I think, haven't counted.
Lots of them do it for attention, so if it gets them attention then they probably would abstain from crisps as well. The fact that some don't eat cheese and onion says it all. When will they stop? Not eating in restaurants that serve meat?
Reply 3
Some packets of meat flavoured crisps are suitable for vegetarians so why wouldn't they eat them? Seems strange, although I suppose if it is against their principles then who is anyone to argue? I can see where they are coming from.

I had a Google and it looks like cheese and onion (Walkers, anyway) are suitable for vegetarians (not sure about vegans). Their 'mature cheddar' flavour, however, is not.
(edited 13 years ago)
I eat them anyway, but i think to be honest, i've lost sight of why i'm a veggie now so ill happily eat meat crisps or haribo, its just a very difficult thing to change back from!

If youre a veggie cos you dont like the taste then fair enough dont eat the crisps but i dont see why not if its an ethical choice and theyre meat free :smile:
Original post by connor ellis
Lots of them do it for attention, so if it gets them attention then they probably would abstain from crisps as well. The fact that some don't eat cheese and onion says it all. When will they stop? Not eating in restaurants that serve meat?

When i read this i was like 'wtf, vegetarians aren't doing it for the attention :mad:', but then i thought of about four of my friends who eat meat when they think no one is watching and just like the label of vegetarian, so i guess you're right, some do do it for the attention :rolleyes:

Anyway, to answer the OP, i eat meat flavoured crisps, and i know a lot of other veggies who do. I don't really understand what 'principle' your friends are talking about :confused:

I also eat food that has been cooked alongside meat. I don't really like to and i try to avoid it, but if someone's taken the time and effort to make me a meal, i'm not going to kick up a fuss about how it was made, that seems so ungrateful.
I have no problem as long as the crisps are vegetarian, I'm a veggie because I like animals, not because I hate the taste =p. Prawn cocktail FTW.
Original post by amizzle91
Some packets of meat flavoured crisps are suitable for vegetarians so why wouldn't they eat them? Seems strange, although I suppose if it is against their principles then who is anyone to argue? I can see where they are coming from.

I had a Google and it looks like cheese and onion (Walkers, anyway) are suitable for vegetarians (not sure about vegans). Their 'mature cheddar' flavour, however, is not.

I can assure you, 100% that they have milk in.
As do the salt and vinegar ones.

No, I'm not a vegan, Im bloody well allergic to milk :angry:
Original post by thegodofgod
What's wrong with Haribo? :lolwut:

They're just sweets...

(I'm a vegetarian and eat them...)

They have gelatine in. Clearly you are a **** vegetarian.
Reply 9

They're just sweets...

It's because they normally use beef/pork gelatine to make them!
Original post by lonelykatana
I can assure you, 100% that they have milk in.
As do the salt and vinegar ones.

No, I'm not a vegan, Im bloody well allergic to milk :angry:

Do you have lactose intolerance?

Have you tried lactose-free milk?
Yes is the answer. Because they are normally totally free of meat content, and shown as "suitable for vegetarians". I'd never touch anything with gelatine (Jelly Babies for example) or anything with rennet (even some pasta sauces have this!).
Original post by wha
Hi all,

I was eating lunch with a few friends, one of whom is a vegetarian and another who is a vegan, and we somehow we started talking about why they dont eat meat flavoured crisps. I mean its not like they have any meat in them and and half the time they dont even taste like any meat. They told me that it was simply a matter of princaple, however they dont actually contain any meat, so it did seem quite odd. Then my vegan friend told me that tey dont even eat cheese and onion, that just seemed farfetched, but hey, at least i get to enjoy the delights of cheese and onion, and flame grilled steak... mmmmmmm....:biggrin:

Do any vegetarians here eat meat flavoured crisps or is it a general consencus between you that you dont?

Yes. They because they taste great. Sometimes the smell is quite off putting...I think the bacon ones.

They're just sweets...

It's because of the tasty, tasty animal bones in them =p. I didn't realise this until i'd been a vegetarian for a while, either.
Original post by katiej149
It's because they normally use beef/pork gelatine to make them!

:lolwut:

Oh well...

Can't do much now... :tongue:

But I don't eat fish/meat

Eggs on the other hand :drool:
Original post by Singularity
It's because of the tasty, tasty animal bones in them =p. I didn't realise this until i'd been a vegetarian for a while, either.

Well I've been vegetarian for about 17 years and 1 month and so have my parents (since they were born) and they're Hindus but they still eat Haribos now and then (but it's quite likely that they don't know of the gelatin in it :rolleyes:)
If there's a little 'V' on the crisp packet I don't see why not.. asda do the best bacon crisps and they're vege :love:
Reply 17
On occasion I have been found eating meat-flavoured crisps even though I'm a veggie. Smoky bacon flavour FTW! :biggrin:

I eat Haribo too but I guess I shouldn't because it has gelatine in it... :redface:

They're just sweets...

got gelatine in hun sorry :frown: theyre not veggie if youre in it for the ethical side!
Do you have lactose intolerance?

Have you tried lactose-free milk?

Nope, not a lactose intolerance unfortunately.
I am highly allergic to milk and whey proteins :frown:
Lactose is pretty much the only part of milk I can have :tongue:

So basically if I have milk, I go into anaphylaxis, throat swells and I potentially suffocate.
I'd take lactose intolerance over this anyday :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest