The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Balls... I haven't registered for UCAS this cycle yet, I used my old UCAS ID. Guess we'll find out what's gonna happen...
I registered for GAMSAT, and haven't registered with UCAS yet. I don't remember being asked for a UCAS code? :confused:
Reply 202
Original post by byebyebadman
I registered for GAMSAT, and haven't registered with UCAS yet. I don't remember being asked for a UCAS code? :confused:

I feel like I was but maybe I'm being stupid. Should probably find out pretty sharpish. :s-smilie:
Reply 203
Diagnostic radiogrApahy would be great. I would like to know if Environmental science is a good undergraduate degree too. It does not matter where you get your undergrd from!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 204
Shouldn't be a problem, no. For more information on GEM, check out this page.
Reply 205

They did ask for it, the option to provide an ID number wasn't marked by an asterisk. i.e it wasn't a mandatory part of the registration.
Original post by Aneurysm
They did ask for it, the option to provide an ID number wasn't marked by an asterisk. i.e it wasn't a mandatory part of the registration.

Cool. I've emailed them with my sparkling new ID.
Reply 207
Original post by Ronove
Balls... I haven't registered for UCAS this cycle yet, I used my old UCAS ID. Guess we'll find out what's gonna happen...

Original post by Ronove
I feel like I was but maybe I'm being stupid. Should probably find out pretty sharpish. :s-smilie:

If it's any help, last year when I registered I didn't have a UCAS ID. Just before the results came out all candidates were sent emails requesting the ir UCAS IDs so the results could be passed on to the universities we had applied to. Hopefully it'll be the same this year.
Goodluck !
Reply 208
Original post by rj0804
I'm talking about tuition fees in that post but as for living costs, I have about £12k in savings and I would probably try and save my maintenance loans from my first degree so that I can use that to live on for GEM too. My parents probably wouldn't charge any rent or food costs etc and they have said they would try and help with living costs if i want to still do medicine later.

I really hope this remark works, it would save so much time, money and stress

Do you realise that the funding arrangements in place for 2011 entry and 2012 entry are very different and no one knows what they will be for 2103 entry as regards graduate entry medicine ?
Reply 209
Original post by DrWise
If it's any help, last year when I registered I didn't have a UCAS ID. Just before the results came out all candidates were sent emails requesting the ir UCAS IDs so the results could be passed on to the universities we had applied to. Hopefully it'll be the same this year.
Goodluck !

Thanks :smile:, but you know what would be even more helpful? Sitting the test for me? Let me know if you can, in exchange I offer you whatever is on my desk, which atm is a pen and a broken laser pointer.
Reply 210
Original post by Aneurysm
Thanks :smile:, but you know what would be even more helpful? Sitting the test for me? Let me know if you can, in exchange I offer you whatever is on my desk, which atm is a pen and a broken laser pointer.

Would love to, but I still haven't recovered from last years bout with the GAMSAT :smile:
Basically, I have been to university previously to do a degree in an arts-based subject. It was a four year Master's degree. However, two years into the degree, I decided not to continue, and I therefore graduated after two years with a Diploma of Higher Education instead of a degree.

Now, this may well be a stupid question, but it needs to be answered nonetheless: should I apply for graduate entry medicine, or just the conventional A100 course? The reason I ask is that I am unsure if graduate entry is for all graduates in general, or more specifically those who have graduated with degree level qualifications?

I will be applying to Glasgow if this helps.
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Basically, I have been to university previously to do a degree in an arts-based subject. It was a four year Master's degree. However, two years into the degree, I decided not to continue, and I therefore graduated after two years with a Diploma of Higher Education instead of a degree.

Now, this may well be a stupid question, but it needs to be answered nonetheless: should I apply for graduate entry medicine, or just the conventional A100 course? The reason I ask is that I am unsure if graduate entry is for all graduates in general, or more specifically those who have graduated with degree level qualifications?

I will be applying to Glasgow if this helps.

Glasgow doesn't offer graduate entry medicine anyway :smile: Only certain unis do. Even if it did, I am almost certain you need a degree level qualification (and for most a science based one) for GEM :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Glasgow doesn't offer graduate entry medicine anyway :smile: Only certain unis do. Even if it did, I am almost certain you need a degree level qualification (and for most a science based one) for GEM :smile:

Legend.
Original post by chemistrylover123
But at post graduate level, would it be better for me to do a chemistry degree or a biomed degree?

Chemistry would reduce the number of med schools you could apply for GEM at as some specify that they want a life sciences degree. I am a chemistry graduate and have a place to do GEM so it isn't impossible. You can study any subject at degree and apply for GEM provided you apply wisely. Look the OP for a list of med schools and entry requirements. :smile:
I graduated with an undergraduate Masters in Computer Science but have now decided to go on and do medicine. I will be doing Highers in Chemistry and Biology over the coming year (and I already have an A in Higher Physics). I was planning on applying to the normal 5 year course at Glasgow, Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen but I wondered about using one of my choices to apply to the GEM course at KCL.

Do you think that for a non-chemistry or biology graduate it would be better just to apply for the normal 5 year course and forget GEM? I was a bit worried that if I did get on the GEM course that I would be behind everyone else because I come from an unrelated degree.

Reply 216
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I graduated with an undergraduate Masters in Computer Science but have now decided to go on and do medicine. I will be doing Highers in Chemistry and Biology over the coming year (and I already have an A in Higher Physics). I was planning on applying to the normal 5 year course at Glasgow, Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen but I wondered about using one of my choices to apply to the GEM course at KCL.

Do you think that for a non-chemistry or biology graduate it would be better just to apply for the normal 5 year course and forget GEM? I was a bit worried that if I did get on the GEM course that I would be behind everyone else because I come from an unrelated degree.

If you're Scottish I don't think you get the GEM funding, in which case you'd be better off sticking to Scottish 5-year courses. :smile:
Original post by Ronove
If you're Scottish I don't think you get the GEM funding, in which case you'd be better off sticking to Scottish 5-year courses. :smile:

Oooh didn't know that. Thanks for the pointer. I will stick to the 5 year course in that case. Thanks :smile:
Reply 218
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Oooh didn't know that. Thanks for the pointer. I will stick to the 5 year course in that case. Thanks :smile:

Make sure you check elsewhere (eg further back in this thread even!) because I'm not sure. But yeah, fairly sure that's the deal. :smile:
Hi, I'm currently doing Physics and have just finished my first year. I'm on the Masters course but I think I'm going to shorten it to a 3 year BSc (so I'll basically be applying for GEM next summer for 2013 entry).
I did Maths, Chem and Phys to A2, with Spanish and Further Maths at AS (AAAab respectively, before A* came out). 10A* GCSE. Provided I hopefully get a 2:1/1st in undergrad, I think I hopefully have the right grades, but as I didn't do Bio I know this will limit where I can apply to a little.

Anyway my question is this: is it worth me doing Bio A Level alongside my degree (like enrolling in a local college or school just to sit exams and otherwise self teaching from textbooks, not sure how i'd go about arranging coursework though...)? Some med schools like your A Levels to be sat within 2 years right? Would that mean there's no point really?

I realise I have to learn Bio for GAMSAT and BMAT anyway, so would such a biology knowledge already be accounted for in that case?

sorry for such a rambly sounding post, i'm pretty tired..but thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending