The Student Room Group

Why didn't the riots spread to...

How come the rioting only took place in areas with a large ethnic minority population?

The rioting , blamed on social exclusion and unemployment, did not spread to deprived cities such as plymouth, newcastle, glasgow, cardiff.

What is different about these cities?

Soz PC brigade for asking questions that make you squirm.

Scroll to see replies

Because there are no ethnic minorities there... duh.
Reply 2
If you wanted a real answer you would have to get statistics and compare them from all those cities. Average age unemployment wage how centred is the unemployment? Are the poor areas thinly spread or thinly spread? What sort of opputinuties do the people in these cities have? What are community relations like? What are police relations like? Is family breakdown more prevalent or less previlant? How many are in education or doing nothing?

You could write a thesis on why, you won't get a good answer from TSR purely because very few of us have the means of knowledge to answer the question.
Reply 3
This thread again? There is always some late guy that doent know how to search. This question has been asked so many times its not even worth awnsering.
There was in Glasgow my life is one big riot!
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
If you wanted a real answer you would have to get statistics and compare them from all those cities. Average age unemployment wage how centred is the unemployment? Are the poor areas thinly spread or thinly spread? What sort of opputinuties do the people in these cities have? What are community relations like? What are police relations like? Is family breakdown more prevalent or less previlant? How many are in education or doing nothing?

You could write a thesis on why, you won't get a good answer from TSR purely because very few of us have the means of knowledge to answer the question.

All of the cities I mentioned have high unemployment, high child poverty rates and particularly in glasgows case (gorbals) concentrated pockets of extreme deprivation.
Reply 6
Original post by Mangaka
This thread again? There is always some late guy that doent know how to search. This question has been asked so many times its not even worth awnsering.

what should i put in the search bar?
umm... Have you got statistics to show that a big percentage of those who took part were of ethnic minorities? If not, what is the point in this article? I didn't think there was any ethnic correlation and saw LOTS of white british youths rioting.
Reply 8
Original post by hellomoto170
umm... Have you got statistics to show that a big percentage of those who took part were of ethnic minorities? If not, what is the point in this article? I didn't think there was any ethnic correlation and saw LOTS of white british youths rioting.

If by statistics you mean my eyes. Yes.

The majority were black.
The majority of them in Manchester were white. There were riots in Bristol as well. The police in Scotland, particularly Glasgow and Strathclyde have done a brilliant job in drastically reducing gang related crime (there was an article in the Guardian about it a few months back) and these riots are often triggered by gangs and everyone else gets involved. We saw a well known Manchester gang leader (who was white btw) dictating his young men to break and steal expensive stuff.
Original post by hellomoto170

From what I saw there was a large percentage of black people involved. Seeing as black people only make up something like 2% of England's population they were vastly overrepresented. The riots started with almost exclusively black people.

In b4 PC brigade negging this post
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
There were riots and looting in Cardiff :fyi:
Reply 12
Original post by Bonged.
If by statistics you mean my eyes. Yes.

The majority were black.

Your eyes are not statistics, they're eyes. :s-smilie:
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
From what I saw there was a large percentage of black people involved. Seeing as black people only make up something like 2% of England's population they were vastly overrepresented. The riots started with almost exclusively black people.

In b4 PC brigade negging this post

I'm not debating who started the riots, but when things were really kicking off there were so many white people also involved that to say the majority were black for me is wrong. I too have eyes and from images, videos etc I saw, there were just as many white people in the riots which by the way is expected seeing as they outnumber black people.
I just don't see the OP's point unless he has some stats because I saw lots of white people rioting.
Original post by Sazzy890
There were riots and looting in Cardiff :fyi:
There was some vandalism and theft during the period of the riots but that's hardly an unusual occurrence. The Cardiff police said at the time that they felt it wasn't part of the trouble elsewhere. FYI.

As for the OP, you're right that the areas that experienced riots correlates roughly to the cities with the largest proportions of ethnic minority inhabitants. On the other hand it also correlates about as strongly to the cities which are simply the largest and therefore managed to achieve the critical mass necessary for a riot to kick off. When you consider that in all the places affected the number of rioters was about 0.03% of the total population it's clear that small cities were never going to see much trouble.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Bonged.
How come the rioting only took place in areas with a large ethnic minority population?

The rioting , blamed on social exclusion and unemployment, did not spread to deprived cities such as plymouth, newcastle, glasgow, cardiff.

What is different about these cities?

Soz PC brigade for asking questions that make you squirm.

thats just blatantly false you dumb-ass. the people rioting in manchester were whites, not ethnic minorities. don't try to pin this on ethnic minorities when its blatantly wasn't a case of problematic ethnic minorities.
Reply 16
Original post by MancStudent098
There was some vandalism and theft during the period of the riots but that's hardly an unusual occurrence. The Cardiff police said at the time that they felt it wasn't part of the trouble elsewhere. FYI.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/aug/09/uk-riots-incident-map It's on the Guardian riot map :fyi:

:wink:
Original post by Sazzy890

She has got a point :wink:

Riots causes alot of destructions so they not spread to.......
Yeah, except that doesn't really inform me of anything new, the map just marks a takeaway which was vandalised (some vandalism) and a JD sports which was burgled (some theft), they are in completely different areas of the city. Like I said the Cardiff police don't think they were part of the events elsewhere and I have to say it's hard to justify calling two isolated and sadly pretty commonplace incidents which took place 3 miles apart a 'riot'.

But if insisting that Cardiff had 'riots' as well gives you some kind of vicarious thrill then who am I to spoil your fun.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending