The Student Room Group

Going to NI from England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ilickbatteries
I'm also considering Queens. My neighbour is from NI, and a friend's flatmate in Huddersfield is from Belfast. Apparently it's not too far removed from England. Just DON'T MENTION RELIGION.

I've lived in Northern Ireland all my life and generally, amongst our generation, talking about religion is fine. I've just moved to Scotland and alot of English/Scotish people ask me about it and I don't mind. I just wouldn't go into a protestant area screaming that you're catholic or vice versa. Also, realistically, how often do you actually talk about religion at home?
Original post by Oh-WOW
I've lived in Northern Ireland all my life and generally, amongst our generation, talking about religion is fine. I've just moved to Scotland and alot of English/Scotish people ask me about it and I don't mind. I just wouldn't go into a protestant area screaming that you're catholic or vice versa. Also, realistically, how often do you actually talk about religion at home?

Fair enough, I'm just saying - that's what he told me. Be careful of what you say and where you say it.
Reply 22
Do it! It's an amazing city, and you'll find loads of international and English students to be with on weekends - they get more English students every year and I was in first year in 2008 and I survived!!
Reply 23
Going to Queens University Belfast from Plymouth England - wheres everyone else coming from?

PS Theres a QUB Weekenders group on Facebook!
Reply 24
Hiyah!
I know it looks like there is a sort of social stigma that seems to be 'attached' you you if you are English and studying in NI, but trust me, there isn't! I'm Irish/ Northern Irish / Hibernian (whatever) and have lived here all my life, and trust me, you won't be treated any differently to someone who hasn't lived here all their lives! I think English people have a fear of NI from what has been portrayed in the British media, but fact of the matter is, whatever you here on ITN/BBC is a big load of Garbage! any trouble you here about is mostly not from our generation, but from the elder, who really don't want to let go of the past. And really should! 99.9% of us are people who just want peace, and want the past to be a distant memory!
Trust me, if you want to come to Queens, do! I'm starting Fresher on 19th Sept, and cannot wait to move to belfast! the Craic is mighty, there are so many bars and night clubs, and most of all, the people are so friendly you'll feel like you're at home again (be it with slightly nicer ( :smile: ) accent and a bag of tayto crisps.)
There really is nothing to worry about !
And I'll even give you a free hug if i meet you on freshers week!
Bobbi xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Rob-Bob
Hiyah!
I know it looks like there is a sort of social stigma that seems to be 'attached' you you if you are English and studying in NI, but trust me, there isn't! I'm Irish/ Northern Irish / Hibernian (whatever) and have lived here all my life, and trust me, you won't be treated any differently to someone who hasn't lived here all their lives! I think English people have a fear of NI from what has been portrayed in the British media, but fact of the matter is, whatever you here on ITN/BBC is a big load of Garbage! any trouble you here about is mostly not from our generation, but from the elder, who really don't want to let go of the past. And really should! 99.9% of us are people who just want peace, and want the past to be a distant memory!
Trust me, if you want to come to Queens, do! I'm starting Fresher on 19th Sept, and cannot wait to move to belfast! the Craic is mighty, there are so many bars and night clubs, and most of all, the people are so friendly you'll feel like you're at home again (be it with slightly nicer ( :smile: ) accent and a bag of tayto crisps.)
There really is nothing to worry about !
And I'll even give you a free hug if i meet you on freshers week!
Bobbi xx

This is correct no one is gonna bully you or stigmatize you because your english. In fact, people like me have probably got more to worry about going to queens than you, 'people like me' being local protestants! Well that's according to alot of my fellow school friends and older people anyhow lol.So dont worry!
Hi! I got in! So I'll be coming from England, the midlands, to study Politics and English! So excited! Really looking forward to everything!
Eve x
Well half my family is Northern Irish and the other half England. Though I'm not going there for university I can tell you they have all the same services up there that we do. People are mostly friendly and won't start on or anything about where you're from (you may get banter). You should have a great time.
Reply 28
Original post by Littlemiss-Eve
Hi! I got in! So I'll be coming from England, the midlands, to study Politics and English! So excited! Really looking forward to everything!
Eve x

Me too!! I'm doing exactly the same course, I'm so excited. What accomodation are you in? :smile:
Original post by Harbour
This is correct no one is gonna bully you or stigmatize you because your english. In fact, people like me have probably got more to worry about going to queens than you, 'people like me' being local protestants! Well that's according to alot of my fellow school friends and older people anyhow lol.So dont worry!

Local protestant as in Belfast, or NI outside belfast?

I'd agree that you'd half more to worry about than an English person. But even then there is still barely anything to worry over.

If you wear a rangers jersey through holylands you'd get some abuse froma few people, all verbal though, I'd be suprised if anything physical became of it. Besides, as long as you can run fast, Snady row is just around the corner...
Original post by Harbour

Generally yes, I have studied there before and people were generally really welcoming and friendly and treated me no different. I did experience a bit of bullying by a girl who didn't like me because she 'doesn't like english people' but she was in the minority.
(I'm new to TSR so sorry for the essay in advance!)
I've confirmed my place to study English Literature at Queens and now it's so real, I'm getting slightly scared. What date does freshers week start and will it affect my social life if I miss it (could be problems getting over there at that time as my parents are away on holiday until the 21st and I don't fancy going over on my own)? I just don't want to turn up with no friends and end up being a hermit for 3 years in a place that I need to use a plane in order to get home from. I have visited Belfast and I loved it and I have Northern Irish family who still live over there but I'd still like to make some decent friends and I'm just a bit worried about moving so far away.
Reply 32
I'm from NI, and just to let you know, Belfast is pretty awesome. And you'll also get to taste tayto cheese and onion crisps. Once you've had them, there's no going back!
Original post by xnatalie01x
I'm applying this year and I live in London. It's probably easier to get to than unis in the N. England actually.

It's easy enough to actually get to, but so so so expensive.

Train to Liverpool or Stranraer then a £50 ferry! :eek:
Reply 34
Original post by nelsonmandelahouse
(I'm new to TSR so sorry for the essay in advance!)
I've confirmed my place to study English Literature at Queens and now it's so real, I'm getting slightly scared. What date does freshers week start and will it affect my social life if I miss it (could be problems getting over there at that time as my parents are away on holiday until the 21st and I don't fancy going over on my own)? I just don't want to turn up with no friends and end up being a hermit for 3 years in a place that I need to use a plane in order to get home from. I have visited Belfast and I loved it and I have Northern Irish family who still live over there but I'd still like to make some decent friends and I'm just a bit worried about moving so far away.

Hello!
Freshers week begins on the 19th september - your not really allow to miss it, becasue Queens, unlike other universities, incorporates it into the timetable. If you read the QUB website, it tells you about all the admin etc that goes on during freshers, including signing up for modules and going through the online regisitration wizard. Also there is a big meeting thing for Freshers on the monday/ tuesday that you shouldnt really miss. As for being worried about moving, i wouldnt worry about it! We don't bite, and belfast is a pretty lethal place.
You could always email someone from queens, or check the freshers week page on FB - it gives you loads of really useful info about that week. Also, if you're moving into Elms, add the QUB accomodation on FB too - it has to be ten times more helpful than the website when it comes to halls of residence. It gives you lots of pictures that you can't seem to find on the official page!

Hopefully see you during freshers!
Bobbi xxx
Original post by Rob-Bob
Hello!
Freshers week begins on the 19th september - your not really allow to miss it, becasue Queens, unlike other universities, incorporates it into the timetable. If you read the QUB website, it tells you about all the admin etc that goes on during freshers, including signing up for modules and going through the online regisitration wizard. Also there is a big meeting thing for Freshers on the monday/ tuesday that you shouldnt really miss. As for being worried about moving, i wouldnt worry about it! We don't bite, and belfast is a pretty lethal place.
You could always email someone from queens, or check the freshers week page on FB - it gives you loads of really useful info about that week. Also, if you're moving into Elms, add the QUB accomodation on FB too - it has to be ten times more helpful than the website when it comes to halls of residence. It gives you lots of pictures that you can't seem to find on the official page!

Hopefully see you during freshers!
Bobbi xxx

I guess I'll definitely be attending Freshers week then! Thanks a lot for the info, really helpful, I appreciate it! I've just added the QUB accommodation page and will have a look now. Thanks again :smile: x
Original post by ilickbatteries
It's easy enough to actually get to, but so so so expensive.

Train to Liverpool or Stranraer then a £50 ferry! :eek:

cheaper to fly to city airport bru...
Original post by Catherine.
I'm from NI, and just to let you know, Belfast is pretty awesome. And you'll also get to taste tayto cheese and onion crisps. Once you've had them, there's no going back!

lol, pretty sure the sell those in the uk

They sell them in the states like
Reply 38
Neh Bother!
and apologies for my inability to type today - i just bought 75% of everything ill need for elms in Ballymena, so I'm a little hyper for starting now :smile:
Bobbi xx
Original post by bestofyou
cheaper to fly to city airport bru...

Weight limit and that though.

Would be hard not to exceed it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending