The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fire Point
Hey. Did ukcat today! Spent 2 days last week studying. I have work aswell unfortunately. I got 692.5 average.580 in qr and 840 in da. Is recommend the 600qs book mainly for the tips it provides and the mock tests. Good luck everyone else.

What do you work as?
Original post by ceazykiyare
What do you work as?

A clever person could find out without em telling them. :wink:
A clever person could find out without em telling them. :wink:

Pharmacy technician, don't worry nothing to be ashamed of. Good job! :smile:
Original post by ceazykiyare
Pharmacy technician, don't worry nothing to be ashamed of. Good job! :smile:

errr...thanks
Reply 64
HELP!! I have my UKCAT test on wed and bricking it..i did a practice test in one of the books and got the majority of them right, but just did the computer practice test and kept running out of time in every section baring the verbal reasoning!! Why do they make it mission impossible to get onto these courses!!
Original post by gibsoni10
HELP!! I have my UKCAT test on wed and bricking it..i did a practice test in one of the books and got the majority of them right, but just did the computer practice test and kept running out of time in every section baring the verbal reasoning!! Why do they make it mission impossible to get onto these courses!!

Follow the strategies in the 600Q book. In QR I ended up just guessing any question that looked hard and found easy ones. With the last minute I clicked through them all doing educated guess work where possible.
If it's a matter of time, guess work is fine!
Reply 66
Actually thats really good advice fire point! I panic when i see the timer ticking away..i think more about how little time i have to do the question rather than focusing on the question itself! Ive just been trying to familarise myself with as many of the types of questions as possible. I dont have the 600q book but something similar with lots of practice questions in it..starting to think i should have got it now seeing as everyone else seems to have a copy! When are you doing your UKCAT test?
Reply 67
Actually ive just read back a few posts, congradulations on ur score! Hope your luck rubs off on me!
Reply 68
Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee. It's an unfortunate case that I can't afford to study elsewhere.
I might apply for one English or Welsh 4-year course too as I'll be able to work at weekend for about £27 an hour. Unfortunately, I have no way of funding Belfast as not licensed to work in NI and they have no financial assistance.

Good luck with the test.

Wow, so I'm guessing you're Sottish? I've not looked at any of those universities. I'll probably get a job or something to pay for it, the new fees are bull**** :frown:
Original post by Toniaa
Wow, so I'm guessing you're Sottish? I've not looked at any of those universities. I'll probably get a job or something to pay for it, the new fees are bull**** :frown:

I think it's cheaper for everyone to stay in their own countries unless there from the EU in which case Scotlands a good bet. I am Scottish! I don't think it's terrible paying £9000 a year for this degree - it's just that I can't get that money together whereas in the English student loans company will provide a loan to cover it.

sad times
Original post by Toniaa

The new fees might look scary but don't worry about them.
The truth is that you'll not see the money so it won't really have any impact on you. The only difference is you'll be paying money back for longer, but if you haven't paid it back in 30years then it's written off :yep:

Theres an awesome thread somewhere where you can ask and talk about this so I'll try to find a link at somepoint for you :smile:

So how is everyone's UKCAT practice going?
Anyone taken the test yet?
about to start one of the official practice tests, are they marked at the end or are they simply for timings?
Original post by Patchey1000
about to start one of the official practice tests, are they marked at the end or are they simply for timings?

Pretty much for the timing and getting used to the format. They show you what you got right and wrong, but no mark out of 900 unfortunately.
Reply 73
am i the only one who hates the AR section?
Reply 74
oh and are there any practise tests online?
Original post by ALevelGirl
oh and are there any practise tests online?

This page (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT) may be designed for medics in terms of the text, but the links at the bottom are relevant for you lot as well so you might want to check some of them out :h:
God, i'm so stressed about the UKCAT! I've just rescheduled mine because it all feels like a bit of a guessing game :/ .. i know i'm probably going to get the same answers that "practice makes perfect" or something but has anyone got any tips? How many questions are people getting right when they're practising? :smile:
Reply 77
OMG im so nervous, my UKCAT is on wednesday!!! Untimed i get most of them right, timed i get more than half wrong! I think ill need to take some light sedation just to get me through it... I hate the AR round aswell Alevelgirl, ive worked as an ICU nurse for 3 years and never once noticed the medics matching shapes in order to save lives! What a load of crap! Im actually starting to resent the DA round aswell, by the time ive de-coded the message the time has ran out!
I just sat the UKCAT and got an average of 605...the only places that I've wanted to apply were Kings and Barts in London (for the GEP). Do you think both these uni's will disregard my application on the basis of my UKCAT score, or will they take the rest of my application into consideration?

Reply 79
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Aha I'll be doing it for a second time as well :colondollar:

What averages did you get?
And did you improve the second time round?

can you sit it more than once?!?!

Quick Reply

Latest