The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Resitting Year 12: How would UNI's look at me???

Im thinking of resitting year 12 as levels, but im really scared because of the way that uni's will look at me. i know if i resit i will get As and Bs (not being cocky) but there is a downside, one of my student at my school was saying that universities like manchester warwick, ucl, wont even look at my application and it will be a big fat DECLINE. is this true?

do i have a better chance in continueing and doing a foundation course?

please some say something... :confused::confused::confused::confused::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 1
I'm in the same position as you, well actually, it's been confirmed that I AM resitting year 12. But I'm not retaking the same subjects so I'm wondering if unis will STILL look at me as less worthy of their places.
Nonetheless, I'm worried about what they're gonna think about me :\... hence why I'm going to work my ass off this year! You must do the same if you're retaking too.
Reply 2
p.s. calm down a tad, what a student at your school says isn't the be all and end all :biggrin:
Reply 3
yeh if i am retaking i am going to work my ass of, get wicked as grades, a good prediction like ABB or AAB... for me physic knocked me over, my teacher wasted 3/4 of the year saying draw mind maps, and i got e in one exams and u in another by my coursework was a b, this proves that i am good at this subject right???... but my question is still un answered, would resitting be worth it????? would uni like warwick and manchester not even look at my application?
Reply 4
Original post by talz1994
yeh if i am retaking i am going to work my ass of, get wicked as grades, a good prediction like ABB or AAB... for me physic knocked me over, my teacher wasted 3/4 of the year saying draw mind maps, and i got e in one exams and u in another by my coursework was a b, this proves that i am good at this subject right???... but my question is still un answered, would resitting be worth it????? would uni like warwick and manchester not even look at my application?

That is SO WEIRD!! I got a U in one Physics exam, E in the other and a B in my coursework :eek: haha
But no, those grades don't prove you're good at that subject because physics coursework is easy. Remember, all that unis are gonna see are your grades and that is it. They don't care if you're better at coursework than exams etc.

And if you got your grades up to As, I don't see why they wouldn't look at you if you had an awesome personal statement. A good personal statement is important, and in our case, even more important because we'll be competing with clever gits who didn't need to resit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
hmm yeh, thanks man... physic is needed for engineering... thats why ive taken it
Reply 6
Yeah good luck
Original post by talz1994
Im thinking of resitting year 12 as levels, but im really scared because of the way that uni's will look at me. i know if i resit i will get As and Bs (not being cocky) but there is a downside, one of my student at my school was saying that universities like manchester warwick, ucl, wont even look at my application and it will be a big fat DECLINE. is this true?

do i have a better chance in continueing and doing a foundation course?

please some say something... :confused::confused::confused::confused::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

What were your grades mate?
Look, tbh- resitting does matter- because unis want you to have finished the A-level within 2 years. I myself am not 100% sure, but I am still pretty certain that the top unis will see this as a disadvantage- ring them up to confirm this.
Even if you do resit, you really need to aim all A grades- Cos two Bs will not do- especially if you resat the year (this sounds harsh sorry but it is realistic(
Are any of your other modules mid Bs or above. If so, \I would keep these, redo all the bad modules, and just try and complete everything in a year. Yes, it will be hard, but if u get high Bs in all ur AS minimum, then u are still eligible for the A* grade in A2. Then u can take a gap year and reapply. That's my opinion, good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Tomatochuckers
What were your grades mate?
Look, tbh- resitting does matter- because unis want you to have finished the A-level within 2 years. I myself am not 100% sure, but I am still pretty certain that the top unis will see this as a disadvantage- ring them up to confirm this.
Even if you do resit, you really need to aim all A grades- Cos two Bs will not do- especially if you resat the year (this sounds harsh sorry but it is realistic(
Are any of your other modules mid Bs or above. If so, \I would keep these, redo all the bad modules, and just try and complete everything in a year. Yes, it will be hard, but if u get high Bs in all ur AS minimum, then u are still eligible for the A* grade in A2. Then u can take a gap year and reapply. That's my opinion, good luck!

And now I feel screwed. :rolleyes:
Original post by Sighrawr
And now I feel screwed. :rolleyes:

warum?
Reply 10
Original post by Tomatochuckers
warum?

warum?
Edit: gotcha

And because I thought that by working my ass off and doing really well, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. Meh, just have to wait and see...
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry, it means 'why' in german
Reply 12
Calm down! It's very unlikely that universities will turn you down just because you resat year 12! The only thing they might possibly do is maybe, MAYBE, ask for a grade higher in one of your subjects but i've only ever heard of that happening to year 13 students who repeat and even then it's quite rare a thing to happen. If any universites did ever decline you it would be Oxbridge. It's better to resit year 12 then to go into year with the stress of resitting exams in January which deter your attention from your A2's! I hope i've helped slightly.
Reply 13
I resat year 12 and am heading into my second year at uni, i didnt have any trouble with it and used it to my advantage saying i chose to as i wasnt happy with my grades
Good luck
Reply 14
wow thank to everyone that replied to this post... i really appreaciate it :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
bump
wouldn't bother wasting your time..
Reply 17
Original post by HedonisticMe

Original post by HedonisticMe
wouldn't bother wasting your time..

wasting my time doing what?
Reply 18
bump
Reply 19