The Student Room Group

Retaking Year 12?

I am currently a year 12, supposed to be going into year 13. As it stands, this is almost impossible now and it is almost certainly inevitable that I will have to retake year 12 again. Because of coronavirus, the school was shut down in march and we only had live lessons a month before we broke up before summer. Unfortunately, the lockdown had deteriorated my mental state and I didn’t do any of the work assigned; to make things worse before lockdown I didn’t work as particularly hard as I know I could’ve/should’ve done. I don’t know what to do now, do I 1) retake year 12 at the sixth-form I go to, 2) go to a different sixth-form (or likely a college) and start over, or 3) what else could i possibly do? My predicted grades are U, U and E (i’m pretty sure) and we don’t do AS level at my school anymore so that’s all I have to work off of. I know now there’s almost nothing I can do not to resit or retake year 12, but I haven’t accepted it. I feel defeated. I just want to carry on and get through. It’s caused me a lot of upset and annoyance and I genuinely don’t know what to do. I feel ashamed and embarrassed and feel like a failure. I don’t wanna get judged by everyone for taking year 12 again, and I certainly don’t wanna watch everyone go off to Uni, while i’m still in school. I feel like that’s the most painful bit, they will be progressing and moving on and I won’t. I’m unsure what I can do, what what would he the best and easiest route to take. Please consider that I really wanna go to Uni, that’s probably most important before all else. What do i do? Any advice, help or support would be appreciated. thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 17ol
I am currently a year 12, supposed to be going into year 13. As it stands, this is almost impossible now and it is almost certainly inevitable that I will have to retake year 12 again. Because of coronavirus, the school was shut down in march and we only had live lessons a month before we broke up before summer. Unfortunately, the lockdown had deteriorated my mental state and I didn’t do any of the work assigned; to make things worse before lockdown I didn’t work as particularly hard as I know I could’ve/should’ve done. I don’t know what to do now, do I 1) retake year 12 at the sixth-form I go to, 2) go to a different sixth-form (or likely a college) and start over, or 3) what else could i possibly do? My predicted grades are U, U and E (i’m pretty sure) and we don’t do AS level at my school anymore so that’s all I have to work off of. I know now there’s almost nothing I can do not to resit or retake year 12, but I haven’t accepted it. I feel defeated. I just want to carry on and get through. It’s caused me a lot of upset and annoyance and I genuinely don’t know what to do. I feel ashamed and embarrassed and feel like a failure. I don’t wanna get judged by everyone for taking year 12 again, and I certainly don’t wanna watch everyone go off to Uni, while i’m still in school. I feel like that’s the most painful bit, they will be progressing and moving on and I won’t. I’m unsure what I can do, what what would he the best and easiest route to take. Please consider that I really wanna go to Uni, that’s probably most important before all else. What do i do? Any advice, help or support would be appreciated. thank you

1 year won't make a major difference once you get to uni in the long term so if you feel you won't get the grades you need then retaking could be a good idea.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
1 year won't make a major difference once you get to uni in the long term so if you feel you won't get the grades you need then retaking could be a good idea.

Thank you. I think that too deep down. I just cannot get over how devastating it is and I don’t wanna ‘waste a year of my life’ as thats what I feel i’d be doing. It’s just quite an upsetting situation overall.
Reply 3
Original post by 17ol

I forgot to add, I would really like to talk to anyone who’s had to resit/retake year 12! I need to know what it’s like : )
Reply 4
Original post by 17ol
I forgot to add, I would really like to talk to anyone who’s had to resit/retake year 12! I need to know what it’s like : )

Regardless of the current situation and other reasons you may have, they are definitely not the only reasons why you was predicted UUE. You're better off doing a BTEC course and still having a chance to get into one of the top-ranking universities, or one of your choice. If you retake A-levels again and mess up, you've essentially closed A LOT of doors for you in the future.
Reply 5
HeyyyyI’m literally in the exact same boat as you and I’ve enrolled at Leyton Sixth Form. Although, it sucks being a year behind it will be way worse if you continue and you don’t get into uni. I promise you it’ll be even more humiliating being in the same year as your friends and not getting into uni. I’d say stay in the same college and resit year 12. That way you know the quality of teaching to expect and won’t have to worry about making friends. It’s literally nothing to be ashamed of because when you go to uni loads of people in your year will have done the same thing.Hope this helps
Original post by 17ol

I had to retake year 10 and I’m about to retake year 13 again. Honestly, it doesn’t feel like you’re wasting a year of your life once you’re actually doing it. I think you would really benefit from repeating the year to up your grades as it’ll benefit you in the long run and give you more options regarding uni. I’d probably move over to a college rather than stay at the same place though, as it is really hard to watch ex classmates move on to the next step in life and you’re stuck behind. Try not feel ashamed or embarrassed, it’s nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Xarao
Regardless of the current situation and other reasons you may have, they are definitely not the only reasons why you was predicted UUE. You're better off doing a BTEC course and still having a chance to get into one of the top-ranking universities, or one of your choice. If you retake A-levels again and mess up, you've essentially closed A LOT of doors for you in the future.

I’ve been predicted that because i’ve done no work, so they gave me those grades because they said they have little or nothing to work with and wouldn’t feel confident with giving me actual grades (atleast, i think anyway)

Edit: I would just like to add, all my teachers said I was very bright and capable and that is in part why they are so frustrated.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 17ol
I’ve been predicted that because i’ve done no work, so they gave me those grades because they said they have little or nothing to work with and wouldn’t feel confident with giving me actual grades (atleast, i think anyway)

Original post by Bumble18
I had to retake year 10 and I’m about to retake year 13 again. Honestly, it doesn’t feel like you’re wasting a year of your life once you’re actually doing it. I think you would really benefit from repeating the year to up your grades as it’ll benefit you in the long run and give you more options regarding uni. I’d probably move over to a college rather than stay at the same place though, as it is really hard to watch ex classmates move on to the next step in life and you’re stuck behind. Try not feel ashamed or embarrassed, it’s nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about :smile:

thank you so much. am usually a very social and extraverted person, quite funny too (not to be a narcissist or anything) but largely in part due to corona I’ve been feeling very down and the social isolation of lockdown has caused me to have anxiety. I don’t know how I could deal with going to a college, and move from my sixth form. I feel like staying at my sixth-form is the easiest option, however I wouldn’t mind making new friends. I just don’t know how stressful and hard that would be though. I can probably accept that I have to retake year 12, but I don’t know how i’ll get over that feeling of judgment and embarrassment and having it hang over my head. I’ll deffo be feeling fomo, and really isolated. I can’t stand the thought of watching people’s snap stories of them at uni while i’m still sat doing a-levels.
Reply 9
Original post by Ray02
HeyyyyI’m literally in the exact same boat as you and I’ve enrolled at Leyton Sixth Form. Although, it sucks being a year behind it will be way worse if you continue and you don’t get into uni. I promise you it’ll be even more humiliating being in the same year as your friends and not getting into uni. I’d say stay in the same college and resit year 12. That way you know the quality of teaching to expect and won’t have to worry about making friends. It’s literally nothing to be ashamed of because when you go to uni loads of people in your year will have done the same thing.Hope this helps

I have no clue how to deal with it though emotionally. not to be dramatic but it’s quite devastating and traumatising to think about. I know that sounds stupid but I feel like i’m being left behind, and all I wanna do is go to Uni (preferably with everyone else) : (
Reply 10
Original post by Xarao
Yes and A2 is hell of a lot more work. So if you can't even do y12 properly and was predicted UUE, what makes you think you'll be able to complete y13? Anyways, it's your life, so go down the route you're happy with. You'll face the consequences of it later.

I don’t think it’s an issue of capability, it’s more motivation and anxiety and stuff. I know you’re probably looking at my predicted grades and thinking i’m stupid, but i’m not. It’s a mental health thing more than anything. Obviously that’s been seriously negatively impacted by all the stuff going on in recent months :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Xarao
That's 99% of students. Yet, your motivation for AS (the easiest year obviously) was so bad that you was predicted UUE. So tell me how you think you'll do in A2 (if you ever get in) where it is MUCH much harder. Also, if you're getting anxiety at this stage of the year, you'll honestly need whatever luck you can find for A2.

You may not realise it, but this is literally a life-defining moment for you. My advice? If you really want to go to university, do a BTEC course of your liking, do well and you'll get into majority of the universities you choose. Or you can repeat AS and risk that chance of never getting into one/having very limited options (oh and btw, you can't blame mental health when you fail again, just like you did here). I'll end my comments here, but honestly, have a real think about it. Good luck.

you’re rude. I was looking for helpful and constructive advice, help and support, not a passive-aggressive attack thinly veiled presented as looking out for me in a realistic way.
Original post by 17ol

Hey, I am a retake, i am now going into year 13. Honestly at first it seems really embarrassing and shameful to resit, but I promise you it gets better.You might deal with people judging you here and there but its not the deep. It is YOUR education. I got BDU first time around, now my grades are far better off from resitting and moving schools. Do not let your pride get in the way of making the best decision which is retaking. To soften the blow honestly I suggest moving schools to get a completely fresh start. I would honestly hate to resit in the same place I failed if that makes sense. Colleges are the best place for retakes in my opinion. SO MANY people are retaking for different reasons, I thought I would be an outlier but at my college I have friends who are even 19 in year 12. It really isnt that deep, no one cares if you do an extra year. I will say it is hard watching your friends go to uni but honestly that just life, your own time will come. However, you can take the route and stay at your school. It can go two ways really, it might add to the embarrassment factor I suppose, for me I knew I couldn't hack staying at my old school but that was just me, if you are cool doing so thats also okay, it just depends on how you feel. I suggest doing a pros and cons list. Thats how I decided it was best I left my sixth form and go to a college instead. If you have any questions tho feel free to ask
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 17ol
Thank you. I think that too deep down. I just cannot get over how devastating it is and I don’t wanna ‘waste a year of my life’ as thats what I feel i’d be doing. It’s just quite an upsetting situation overall.

Please don't look at it as a waste. This year has been awful, and its okay to be delayed in doing something as long as you get there in the end. I understand EXACTLY how you are feeling, but honestly if you look forward to the new year, what you can do, how you can improve, its hardly a waste. I just looked at repeating for me as a chance to do my best after a disaster trial run
Original post by Xarao

This advice is a bit yikes. A BTEC doesn't automatically guarantee they will do well even with coursework there is still plenty of room to fail. I got a U's and E's for a whole year in 2 A levels and managed to get one up to a measly D! Does that mean I should have done a BTEC? Absolutely not, it just meant I had to change how I revised, and now my grades are all A/B and the occasional C.
Reply 15
Original post by zoe.nyaku
This advice is a bit yikes. A BTEC doesn't automatically guarantee they will do well even with coursework there is still plenty of room to fail. I got a U's and E's for a whole year in 2 A levels and managed to get one up to a measly D! Does that mean I should have done a BTEC? Absolutely not, it just meant I had to change how I revised, and now my grades are all A/B and the occasional C.

You just proved my point :rofl:
Reply 16
Original post by zoe.nyaku

Thank you so much for the help! My parents already sent an email to my school asking if I could retake the year, so that is what’s likely to happen. How could I get around this if i wanted? You made it sound like staying at my school was the worst option, and I’ve definitely contemplated that too. I think it would be easiest to stay at my school, but then i’m also gonna face more judgement. Any support in what I can do? The local college and others I know go back days after my school does, so there’s more time for them. I don’t know if i could be put into a brand new environment and do well with all the pressure of making new friends (i’m usually quite social) with the anxiety and MH issues that social isolation from coronavirus has given me. Thank you x
Reply 17
Hello, I'm a retake student (year 12). Basically, I did 4 AS subjects and an A-level in one year, and I've achieved 4 A's at AS and an A* at A-level this year. I realised that these subjects aren't the right thing to do for my degree as I just arrived to the UK 3 years ago. My situation is similar to yours. I've chosen to do 3 different subjects this year for my degree and will now stay at a new school for another 2 years. I had thoughts to stay at my current school and continue with the same subjects as I achieved amazing grades, but no, this wont help at all for uni. I really advice you to retake, get better grades, don't overthink about your past. Do subjects that will open huge opportunities for you, if not, do the subjects that your degree require for the entry requirements.
Original post by Xarao
You just proved my point :rofl:

Not at all, doing really badly in A levels doesn't mean just jump to a BTEC and you'll be fine. I have a friend who did A levels flopped, did BTECs flopped again and is now doing year 12 for the third time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 17ol
Thank you so much for the help! My parents already sent an email to my school asking if I could retake the year, so that is what’s likely to happen. How could I get around this if i wanted? You made it sound like staying at my school was the worst option, and I’ve definitely contemplated that too. I think it would be easiest to stay at my school, but then i’m also gonna face more judgement. Any support in what I can do? The local college and others I know go back days after my school does, so there’s more time for them. I don’t know if i could be put into a brand new environment and do well with all the pressure of making new friends (i’m usually quite social) with the anxiety and MH issues that social isolation from coronavirus has given me. Thank you x

Hey, I did not want to make it seem like its the worst opinion, personal bias here. For me personally, I had issues with my old school but I could have stayed, but It was the judgement factor for me that sent me over to moving schools. Honestly, it depends on you as a person, my school was quite judgey with retakes so I knew it wasn't the place for me to thrive but you might have a different experience.If you have a good relationship with your teachers, and do not want to go through the whole stage of making new friends all over again, and you are fine being in the same place for 3 years stay at your school. It was easy for me to move, I hated my teachers, I am an extrovert so making friends was easy and I like new places, I think given the way coronavirus has affected your mental health and the fact that a new environment might be a lot to handle I think staying at your school would be the best option for you and will help you the most! Everybody is different so whatever choice you make think about what you are capable of handling and what will be the best to uplift your mental health and transition back into a routine

Quick Reply

Latest