The Student Room Group

Should i resit year 12

Today I found out that I failed my history completion exam for Germany, I didn't revise for it and I was very aware that I was going to fail it, I got 13/40 which is a U, achieving the lowest score in the class. I have my Italy history paper coming up and I am near to clueless about the entire subject as the teacher is never in and her teaching style is not useful to me; many of my classmates would agree, so I will most likely fail that too. I do not enjoy history A level and every day I wish I chose something else, I know that if I applied myself and properly looked at the content and went over it, I could achieve B's at the most but I don't know if I should just give it up and resit the year with taking other subjects to which I am actually interested in or suck it up and learn the year 12 content over the summer, which I can't really trust myself to do. I know a few of my friends are most likely retaking the year due to history and changing the subject so I would be fine with friends, the only thing I am concerned about with retaking the year is the effect it will have on my uni applications and the feeling of being looked down upon by the year 13's I was with in year 12. I can't say I particularly enjoy my other subjects, I take sociology which I don't know much on the subject and will probably fail, and art which I am far behind on but I would want to resit that subject as it matches with what I wanna do at uni, which is architecture. I just don't know what to do, I'm not in a great mental state at the moment and can't even bring myself to revise for the other completion exams, nothing is going right in my life at the moment, I just need to make a decision before I fail all of my completion exams.
Retake year 12 and choose subjects you will enjoy and do well in. It doesn't matter what other people think about you repeating the year and it won't impact your uni application. There is a thread here regarding A levels for architecture:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Reply 2
Original post by questionmark7272
Today I found out that I failed my history completion exam for Germany, I didn't revise for it and I was very aware that I was going to fail it, I got 13/40 which is a U, achieving the lowest score in the class. I have my Italy history paper coming up and I am near to clueless about the entire subject as the teacher is never in and her teaching style is not useful to me; many of my classmates would agree, so I will most likely fail that too. I do not enjoy history A level and every day I wish I chose something else, I know that if I applied myself and properly looked at the content and went over it, I could achieve B's at the most but I don't know if I should just give it up and resit the year with taking other subjects to which I am actually interested in or suck it up and learn the year 12 content over the summer, which I can't really trust myself to do. I know a few of my friends are most likely retaking the year due to history and changing the subject so I would be fine with friends, the only thing I am concerned about with retaking the year is the effect it will have on my uni applications and the feeling of being looked down upon by the year 13's I was with in year 12. I can't say I particularly enjoy my other subjects, I take sociology which I don't know much on the subject and will probably fail, and art which I am far behind on but I would want to resit that subject as it matches with what I wanna do at uni, which is architecture. I just don't know what to do, I'm not in a great mental state at the moment and can't even bring myself to revise for the other completion exams, nothing is going right in my life at the moment, I just need to make a decision before I fail all of my completion exams.

Before retaking I'd probably make a list of subjects that you'd be happy to swap to replace history (and if you dont enjoy sociology you may as well swap that one too), find something you enjoy as most Architecture courses dont have specific entry requirements (but do check if any specific uni youre applying to does which you could factor into your choices). And before school finishes try and speak to those subject teachers or maybe even ask to sit in some lessons to get a feel for that subject if your school allows.
Universities will not mind that you have retaken and it will not impact your application at all, if you do well it'll probably even help your chances in getting into a better uni when you apply later on. And the fact that you also have friends retaking will make the process so much better, but even if they don't I'm sure you'll still be fine :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest