The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

How 'formal' are the UCL fresher's events?

I'm guessing by the fact that both the fiesta and official 'fresher's ball' are both in clubs then it's just clubbing attire rather than going into cocktail dress territory but I just want to know what I need to be prepared for :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
They're club nights not balls. There's a summer ball at the end of the year if you're into that sort of thing though :smile:
Original post by The Blind Monk

They're club nights not balls. There's a summer ball at the end of the year if you're into that sort of thing though :smile:

Ok, thought as much but was just checking :smile: I'm fine with whatever, it's just what I'd seen from other unis tended to be very formal.
which sport club or societies are the most sociable? (apart from rugby & football)

You're meant to dress up for Fresher's ball as well.

Though it's still a club night, just dressed up.
Reply 1965
Just wanted to know if there's anyone who has swapped their accommodation before at UCL? I understand that I have to wait three week into the term before I can swap with someone but could anyone tell me what's the process like. For example would I have to pay for the first term rent of the student house I am currently staying at before I move into the house that I want, if that makes sense?
Original post by VivaLa
Just wanted to know if there's anyone who has swapped their accommodation before at UCL? I understand that I have to wait three week into the term before I can swap with someone but could anyone tell me what's the process like. For example would I have to pay for the first term rent of the student house I am currently staying at before I move into the house that I want, if that makes sense?

I'm wondering this too! Would like to swap before the 17th Oct if possible!
Anyone know the standard of the Hockey teams at UCL? (Men's, that is)

I know all Uni teams are welcoming to new comers (which I would hazard a guess in being the third team) but I'm wondering about the 2nds and 1sts. Do you have to of been at least county to make the 2nds or something like that?
Original post by arcl
You're meant to dress up for Fresher's ball as well.

Though it's still a club night, just dressed up.
I didn't go with anyone dressed up :confused: I went in jeans, a shirt, and plimi's.

Original post by VivaLa
As far as I'm aware you can swap whenever, the problem is UCL accommodation office won't swap payment details round until later on. Which means you will still be registered at the other halls and potentially liable for any damage or what not, or could end up having to pay for first term anyway. I don't think you have to pay rent until Nov time, pretty sure it was around reading week, not 100% on that though.

Original post by woods.vanessa
I'm wondering this too! Would like to swap before the 17th Oct if possible!
Above.

Original post by HampshireDave
Anyone know the standard of the Hockey teams at UCL? (Men's, that is)

I know all Uni teams are welcoming to new comers (which I would hazard a guess in being the third team) but I'm wondering about the 2nds and 1sts. Do you have to of been at least county to make the 2nds or something like that?
I don't play but I know a few people who do. The 1st are supposed to be amazing they had some guy who play for Italy or something playing this year, the seconds seem populated by county/good school level hockey players and the 3rds is the socials. I think it depends on position too, apparently the seconds keeper isn't that good relative, but its a less sought after position. I would expect to be put in the 3rds and maybe push for a few fill in games in the seconds for the average player for freshers, but not knowing you I can't really say.
Reply 1969
I will get my offer next week, I know it is quite late, but I really like ramsay, can I still apply?
Hi. How is the tennis society? How are Players for singles chosen to represent UCL? Furthermore are there any courts nearby UCL where you can play tennis? Thanks .
Reply 1971
Original post by Ultimate1
Hi. How is the tennis society? How are Players for singles chosen to represent UCL? Furthermore are there any courts nearby UCL where you can play tennis? Thanks .

Can't answer the first bit, but there are tennis courts in Cartwright Gardens. I think they may be owned/ran by Canterbury Halls. If you live there they'd be ideal I suppose.

There's another at Coram's Fields near Russell Square and the big place in Regent's Park http://www.tennisintheparks.co.uk/
Reply 1972
physics vs theoretical physics question! ive currently got a place to do straight physics but im seriously considering transferring to theoretical physics (never been good at lab work)... do i avoid labs totally in the first year if i do this and how hard are the 'practical maths' modules which have to be done.

ps. ive only done FM to AS.. so will i struggle with theo.physics???? :s-smilie:
Reply 1973
Erm... I'm doing the pre-enrollment and on the fees page it says this:

For Academic Year 2011: Fee Contribution £
2011 Programme Fees - Your Self-Payer Fee Contribution 3,375.00
Total Programme Fees your Sponsor/Student Loan will pay 0.00

Does this mean UCL thinks I'll pay for the fees myself, and nothing comes from my Student Loan? As far as i'm aware, and according to the letter from the SLC, the course is paid for by my tuition fee loan. Anyone else had this come up?
Reply 1974
Has anyone ever joined University of London Union? I have just discovered them, but I have no clue how to sign up for their societies nor if they'll promote themselves at our Freshers' Fayre. I secretly wished they offered the scheme "Give It A Go" as well...
Reply 1975
Original post by Ivanka
Has anyone ever joined University of London Union? I have just discovered them, but I have no clue how to sign up for their societies nor if they'll promote themselves at our Freshers' Fayre. I secretly wished they offered the scheme "Give It A Go" as well...

I got a card but never did anything with it and went to one of their bars once.

They have their own fayre on the 30th with their societies and stuff.
Reply 1976
Original post by PJ991
I got a card but never did anything with it and went to one of their bars once.

They have their own fayre on the 30th with their societies and stuff.

May I ask you where it takes place? Sorry if it's obvious, I didn't find it on their website!
Reply 1977
Original post by Ivanka
May I ask you where it takes place? Sorry if it's obvious, I didn't find it on their website!

In their building on Malet Street I'm guessing. Just over the road from UCL.
Original post by TheUsername42
Can you use a railcard with a student oyster card? Or can you only use railcards when buying paper tickets at stations?

It says here:
"The Annual Gold Card, Disabled Persons, HM Forces, Senior and 16-25 National Railcard discount entitlement can be loaded on to an Oyster card, 18+ Student Oyster photocard or 16+ Oyster photocard at:

Tube and London Overground station ticket offices (except London Overground stations south of New Cross Gate)
Some National Rail station ticket offices
Oyster Ticket Stops
London Travel Information Centres"
Original post by kttt101
physics vs theoretical physics question! ive currently got a place to do straight physics but im seriously considering transferring to theoretical physics (never been good at lab work)... do i avoid labs totally in the first year if i do this and how hard are the 'practical maths' modules which have to be done.

ps. ive only done FM to AS.. so will i struggle with theo.physics???? :s-smilie:

We have two lab modules: labs first term and labs second term. If you're doing theoretical you have to do first term (everyone does it) but you won't do second term.

Also you have to do the observatories as well.

I have no idea about your practial maths module though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending