The Student Room Group

2011/12 A2 Music Tech

Hey Guys! doing Edexcel A2 music tech this year and starting the sequencing bit today. Anyone got any links to midi files or scores or anything for ECHO BEACH that might help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 10sixdakinm
Hey Guys! doing Edexcel A2 music tech this year and starting the sequencing bit today. Anyone got any links to midi files or scores or anything for ECHO BEACH that might help??

Have you got the set pieces already? I couldn't find anything on the website. Do your first years know their pieces yet?
Found it! :biggrin:
Reply 3
yeah we have!! at A2 its Cars by Gary Newman or Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins (the 35th best candadian song OF ALL TIME... lol)! dont know about AS level sorry mate!
At least those are easier to sing than bloody Seal. They put it on the web site the same day I posted. AS have some horrendous tuneless dirge from Ladytron :frown: and "Whiter Shade of Pale" or a Kylie track to be arranged in either 50s Rock and Roll or Trip-hop. Gonna be WSoP in R&R :biggrin:.
Reply 5
Hey guys, I'm unfortunately gonna be doing A2 Music Tech AND AS Music Tech because I really didn't put enough effort in last year, kinda rectifying this now and getting a head start on my recording as that's all my school has confirmed will be definite for the coursework. Would you guys be able to link where you found out about the AS and A2 sequencing tasks because I can't find them anywhere :confused:
Who's doing which piece then? I'm definitely doing Cars. I cannot refuse Gary Numan. :colone:
Reply 7
I'm doing Cars, I think it will be the quicker and easier option for me. I would have done Echo Beach (as a guitarist too) but I would have needed more than 3 audio tracks :frown:

Cars
I'm Yours (Jason Mraz, recording)
Rainforest

What's everyone else doing? I'm gonna get going on my composition now, done a little bit on cars (without producing it too well) but I need to get some good ideas in and some samples for Rainforest. :smile:
Reply 8
@JackOSF... that rainforest thing sounded shocking!!!! lol im doing the protest thing because therre are some imense samples i can use, plus i can have a go at some hrad dissinant dubstep and ambient shizzle!!! :smile: xx
Reply 9
*hard
Original post by JackOSF
Hey guys, I'm unfortunately gonna be doing A2 Music Tech AND AS Music Tech because I really didn't put enough effort in last year, kinda rectifying this now and getting a head start on my recording as that's all my school has confirmed will be definite for the coursework. Would you guys be able to link where you found out about the AS and A2 sequencing tasks because I can't find them anywhere :confused:

Here's the link to Edexcel's site. Look under Question Papers.
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/music/tech/Pages/default.aspx
Reply 11
Awesome, thanks. fingers crossed I *might* have been lying a little, found out the school is paying for a remark, if it's gets my AS grade up to a C I'm gonna stick just because of the extra effort involved. Gonna have to work reaaaal hard this year to try and get a B though.

@10sixdakinm Nahh, the rainforest one is sample heaven! I know a decent bit of music theory so I'm fine on writing parts to go with the poem, I just gotta get someone to speak it with some emotion and experiment a bit :smile: I'm going for a sorta art/ambient piece with mine. I'm not a fan of dubstep really, I know a friend who's gonna sample a bit of the rainforest brief and then drop it into some hard D'n'B though!
Yeah Cars is the technical option, you will score major marks on the synthesis of the sounds on the Gary Numan piece, Echo Beach is harder to sequence because its more musical and you can also score massive marks on sequencing that Saxophone solo :colone:
I'm going for the political piece too, Im really getting into synthesis at the moment so I will be doing a heavy rock/dubstep mashup with news clips
Original post by Mott Bollomy
Yeah Cars is the technical option, you will score major marks on the synthesis of the sounds on the Gary Numan piece, Echo Beach is harder to sequence because its more musical and you can also score massive marks on sequencing that Saxophone solo :colone:

Looking at it from a 'glass half empty' point of view, that solo is also a great place to lose marks big time. You're right on Cars tho' - the notes are easy it's going to be all about the sounds.
I'm doing cars, but I've noticed there are a lot of tempo changes - obviously record perc first and without a click track. I'm using cubase as my DAW for this one and I think I'm gonna give beats and bars a miss, and think seconds and milliseconds for this one so I'm not changing the tempo every few bars. Shouldn't be too hard if I just play along with the track.

I think it would be good to have a subforum for music tech... and other subjects as well. Not just a general group of subjects - there's too much on one page!
Ooh I'm off school with flu but I may as well get some ideas down for composition - what was the brief for film/tv...?
A note for creating the right sound - you guys should take a look at some of the cableguys VST's - there's one where you actually draw the waveform. No more messing about with saw sine square - straight to business with a waveform pencil!
Reply 18
Cars is crazy with all the tempo changes! I'm using Logic as a DAW and I think i'm just going to enter it by ear as I've found a rough tempo that fits at the beginning, so I'll just have to go from there :l

I love the Martha song, but I think Cars will be so much easier to do
Reply 19
Original post by Rosiegsm
Cars is crazy with all the tempo changes! I'm using Logic as a DAW and I think i'm just going to enter it by ear as I've found a rough tempo that fits at the beginning, so I'll just have to go from there :l

I love the Martha song, but I think Cars will be so much easier to do

You can go with using a rough tempo but I dont advise it. You will probably lose marks by doing that. Luckily you are using Logic, therefore take a couple of hours to beat map the audio then protect your MIDI, you'll get a much better sounding coursework like this.

Both tracks need beat mapping, Echo Beach more so in my opinion but as a starting tempo 163.8 BPM is pretty good. For Cars I hear that a good starting tempo is 129-131 BPM roughly.

Quick Reply

Latest