The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Teesside Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizzy93
I've applied to Teesside to do Accounting & Finance.
Just awaiting their decision now :smile:

I didn't manage to go to one of their open days, did everyone like it?

I'm curious as to this too

Too far to visit. Will I sound like an intellect around all the middleborough accent?

this could work in my favour
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by Average_Aaron
I'm curious as to this too

Too far to visit. Will I sound like an intellect around all the middleborough accent?

this could work in my favour

Probably.
I'm from Peterborough and one of my friends from here is at University in Newcastle, and they're always calling her posh because of the way she speaks.
Mmmmm, posh to me isn't the same intelligent, in fact IMHO quite the opposite! So no, don't expect to sound like an intellect, just because someone has a North East accent doesn't make them thick, nor are they viewed as such (well maybe by certain southerners ????)

Middlesbrough around the Uni is to be honest grot, however what it lacks in beauty is more than made up for in friendliness and professionalism of the people that live and work there.

Out of the 3 Uni's I applied for and visited this was by far the most organised and had easily the best atmosphere and friendliness of the locals.

My first choice the moment I visited and has remained so since.

I had an interview at Teesside yesterday, was shown around all the facilities, had a talk by the head of the department and talks by the course tutors, took part in some crime scene science techniques (fingerprinting) followed by a half hour interview. Once again I was very impressed, I have offers from 2 other Uni's that were based on my application only.

The interview itself was an informal chat with a lecturer who asked about my PS, interests, hobbies etc and then said he was delighted to offer me a place and the formal UCAS offer would follow shortly.

All round a good day out and worth the journey, but then that was only 1.5 hours drive each way with me being a northerner!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
I loved Middlesborough when I visited.
I'm from Sheffield, it's around a 90 minute drive for me, and having a Yorkshire accent I didn't notice TOO much difference.

But yes I really, really like Teesside, and although the points they're offering me is the lowest of my five options i'm considering making it my firm option :3
Original post by rayyychel
I loved Middlesborough when I visited.
I'm from Sheffield, it's around a 90 minute drive for me, and having a Yorkshire accent I didn't notice TOO much difference.

But yes I really, really like Teesside, and although the points they're offering me is the lowest of my five options i'm considering making it my firm option :3

Is Middleborough alright?!

I've heard it's a bit of a dive.
Reply 45

To be honest I think what you think of it is based on your background. Cause if you live in a typically 'posh' place such as Buckinghamshire and then suddenly move to a place like Middlesborough, it will be a shock to the system. It just depends what you're used to; personally I wouldn't say it's a dive.

At the end of the day, you are at Uni for your education frst and foremost. If the course is the best for you at Middlesbrough, then it's probably the best place.

Certainly from a student perspective I thought it was great. It's one of the cheapest places in the country to live, the campus is all really close together so you can jump out of bed and be at lectures within a 5 min walk. There are several pubs/cafe bars that run right through the centre of the campus and the town centre with all the main high street shops is literally 10 minutes flat walk away.

Tesco Express and Aldi were also very close by for food shopping, as were numerous takeaways and snack bars with the train station also a short walk away for easy trips home.

I live near Leeds and there are 3 Universities in the city. Whilst it is a great place it also has some horrid areas but it equally has some fabulous ones and the nightlife and shopping are great. However it isn't cheap, most of the accommodation is at least half an hour walk to the Uni's and 15 minutes into town and many of the halls mean getting a bus ride into the city. Getting cheaper food shopping means a taxi ride back with bags or home delivery (or abandoned shopping trolleys stolen from Morrisons)

The choice of course is yours, but Teesside is more than good for me :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Hey all! I've applied for Diagnostic Radiography and got my interview on the 18th Jan, eep!!! Anyone else out there?
Reply 48
Just got an invitation for teesside :biggrin: for Multimedia Journalism Professional Practice :biggrin: so excited but have never had an interview D:
Original post by jgibson18
Just got an invitation for teesside :biggrin: for Multimedia Journalism Professional Practice :biggrin: so excited but have never had an interview D:

You will be fine! my interview was very relaxed, friendly and a comfortable experience. It lasted half an hour but that flew by and at the end they said they would be very happy to have me on board. That was on the 14th December but I didn;t get the official UCAS offers through until 2 days ago....phew!

I now have offers for all 5 courses I applied for and can put my Firm and Insurance choices in.

Teesside if my definite firm, but both offers I got were the same entry requirements so am going with UCLAN for my insurance.

Really want Teesside though.
Reply 50
Got a conditional offer to do crime and investigation. Anybody else?
Original post by Rebecca17
Got a conditional offer to do crime and investigation. Anybody else?

i've got one a couple weeks back :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by white_zinfandel
You will be fine! my interview was very relaxed, friendly and a comfortable experience. It lasted half an hour but that flew by and at the end they said they would be very happy to have me on board. That was on the 14th December but I didn;t get the official UCAS offers through until 2 days ago....phew!

I now have offers for all 5 courses I applied for and can put my Firm and Insurance choices in.

Teesside if my definite firm, but both offers I got were the same entry requirements so am going with UCLAN for my insurance.

Really want Teesside though.

Did you apply for multimedia journalism professional practice as well?
Original post by jgibson18
Did you apply for multimedia journalism professional practice as well?

Nope! I can't spell and have no idea what the course you mention is about! My courses were forensic science, crime scene science, forensic science and investigation etc
Reply 54
I hope someone can help me shed some light...

Received an invitation for an interview for Computer Games Design with a Foundation year. Will I need to take a portfolio? The invitation just says ... invitation, they've not told me anything else outside of that. Also, since I'm doing a foundation year there, they won't be expecting much of my art skill, will they? I know I've obviously got to give them something nice to look at and show that I've an eye for art, which I'm hoping I do, but it doesn't have to be amazing and as if I was applying for Computer Game Design w/o the foundation year, surely?

The interview is in early Feb, so have more than enough time to knock something together, but was just looking for a heads up. :-)
Reply 55
Has anyone else that has an interview with them heard anything else?
In November they invited me for an interview which is actually on the 1st of Feb. Since I accepted the invitation I have heard nothing from them so I think I'm going to have to email them and ask them where I'm supposed to be and when, and whether it's going to be JUST an interview or whether there will be a tour or something as well, and whether it's formal or informal.
I expected them to be in touch before now!
Anyone got an interview on Feb 15th (13:15) for Computer Science?
Reply 57
Just been offered a place on PGCE for Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector.

I havent visited the university yet, or found out what funding I can get, so who knows what will happen ?
Reply 58
Got an interview on the 1st Feb for foundation Business Management :smile:

And for those of you asking if Middlesbrough is a dive, it's not. Certainly some areas of it are but it's certainly a lot nicer place than other parts of the UK. I've lived in Teesside all my life bar 3 years when I lived in Reading and it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.
Sent my application on 12th Jan, they offered me a place on 18th Jan for Accounting & Finance

They're really quick!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending