The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy access course

Hello, (my very first post here)

I am currently a teacher,but I am thinking of switching my career to become a physiotherapist. I don't have a relatable degree or A levels to apply for Bsc Physiotherapy , so I believe I will need to do an access course.

I know there are face to face access courses, but I would prefer online or distance learning one in order to be able to work alongside the course.

Does any one have any experience on doing an online access course to allied health professions (I am thinking of doing one with Active Learning) and then successfully securing a place at the university? If so, what is the course provider you studied with? Or if there are any recommendations around it, then please feel free to share it- any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you
Not physio but OT. Also a teacher :smile: I did my access course online with LearnDirect and have an offer from my uni of choice
Reply 2
Hey, I did my Access Course with Distance Learning Centre. I'd recommend them. Tutor support is fantastic and other students are really helpful and welcoming (make sure to join the Facebook group once you enrol). I now have offers to study Physio this September! Good luck to you.
Reply 3
Original post by Mackem85
Not physio but OT. Also a teacher :smile: I did my access course online with LearnDirect and have an offer from my uni of choice

Congratulations- I wish you best of luck! Thank you for your suggestion- may I ask what uni did you choose?
Reply 4
Original post by noo000b
Hey, I did my Access Course with Distance Learning Centre. I'd recommend them. Tutor support is fantastic and other students are really helpful and welcoming (make sure to join the Facebook group once you enrol). I now have offers to study Physio this September! Good luck to you.

Wow, well done! Thank you very much for your response - I will take a look into Distance learning centre. For the universities you've got offers, did you also needed to get work experience?
Original post by Luna314
Congratulations- I wish you best of luck! Thank you for your suggestion- may I ask what uni did you choose?

I applied to Teesside as its the nearest uni that offers it and placements will be commutable to my home, which was the big factor. I think courses like OT, Physio, as they are accredited they must meet certain criteria anyway, hours of placement etc. The Unis I looked at, two had fantastic facilities and employment rates. I got a good feel from Teesside when I went for interview, had a good chat about the course, placements. For travelling it works better for me than the other Unis so was a win-win all round
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Luna314
Wow, well done! Thank you very much for your response - I will take a look into Distance learning centre. For the universities you've got offers, did you also needed to get work experience?

Thank you and no problem. Most of the unis have relaxed their requirements but I did some work experience anyway to strengthen my application and also to ensure physio is the right fit! NHS experience will be tricky but you may have better luck with private clinics.
Reply 7
I applied to Teesside as its the nearest uni that offers it and placements will be commutable to my home, which was the big factor. I think courses like OT, Physio, as they are accredited they must meet certain criteria anyway, hours of placement etc. The Unis I looked at, two had fantastic facilities and employment rates. I got a good feel from Teesside when I went for interview, had a good chat about the course, placements. For travelling it works better for me than the other Unis so was a win-win all round

Thank you very much for your response- that sounds brill! Also, I am based in North East too! Though my closest university would be Northumbria or Newcastle- I will take a look into Teeside as well :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by noo000b
Thank you and no problem. Most of the unis have relaxed their requirements but I did some work experience anyway to strengthen my application and also to ensure physio is the right fit! NHS experience will be tricky but you may have better luck with private clinics.

Thank you ^^
Original post by Luna314
Thank you very much for your response- that sounds brill! Also, I am based in North East too! Though my closest university would be Northumbria or Newcastle- I will take a look into Teeside as well :smile:

For me it was also looking at where placements would be. Northumbria could be right up in Northumberland, Teesside out to Redcar. So for me Northumbria was too far realistically. Sunderland is one to look at too by the way
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Thank you- I will consider Sunderland as well as that is where I did my teacher training couple of years ago- biggest regret of my life 😅

Hello, I hope you dont mind me jumping in!? How did you find the access course, Im doing it with learndirect. Really not enjoying unit 5 right now! Also hoping to do OT :smile:
Original post by nettemac
Hello, I hope you dont mind me jumping in!? How did you find the access course, Im doing it with learndirect. Really not enjoying unit 5 right now! Also hoping to do OT :smile:

Hi. I am on unit 19. Some units have taken a lot more motivation than others! Unit 5 isn’t a nice one. I struggled my way through it. Others are more interesting and don’t seem as longwinded.
Reply 13
Original post by noo000b

Hi - I just had a look at Distance Learning Centre and they have 4 options for physiotherapy https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/course/access-to-he-diploma/physiotherapy/

Which one did you do?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending