The Student Room Group

TSR Game Bargains Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Anyone know if it's possible to buy a brand new 'CD key' for a used copy of COD: Black Ops :frown: useless without it.

Who sold you a used copy of Black Ops? :s-smilie:
Original post by hassi94
Who sold you a used copy of Black Ops? :s-smilie:

I bought it on Amazon from a private seller. Stupid mistake on my part.

I went back to them demanding a refund considering I had no idea it was essentially a useless product. They ignored me, I complained to Amazon about their selling practice and they responded a week later saying 'it's not our fault, we described it as used'.
£2.99 for Neverwinter Nights 2!
Reply 1963

I went back to them demanding a refund considering I had no idea it was essentially a useless product. They ignored me, I complained to Amazon about their selling practice and they responded a week later saying 'it's not our fault, we described it as used'.

Can't you just buy CoD Elite or whatever the hell it is?
Original post by Mess.

I dunno :dontknow: I've been looking everywhere but I can't find a place to buy a code. I bought a used copy of World at War and it was fine - I just didn't get access to multi-player which is what I expected and I'm fine with, but this didn't give me access to anything, not even the ability to install it.
Reply 1965

I dunno :dontknow: I've been looking everywhere but I can't find a place to buy a code. I bought a used copy of World at War and it was fine - I just didn't get access to multi-player which is what I expected and I'm fine with, but this didn't give me access to anything, not even the ability to install it.

:lolwut: I didn't know it was that bad, I thought it was just the multiplayer missing! Perhaps try searching for CoD Elite then :yep:
Original post by Mess.
:lolwut: I didn't know it was that bad, I thought it was just the multiplayer missing! Perhaps try searching for CoD Elite then :yep:

Will give it a look see in the morning [: Thanks though, the help is much appreciated.

In the mean time, I'm going to get my £16 if I die trying.
Original post by Mess.

That's for MW3 DLC.
Original post by Magnum Opus

Original post by Magnum Opus
Meh, doesn't look too great, to be honest. Greed Corp stands out as the pick of the bunch, but IndieGala has yet to offer deals as good as the Humble Bundle or Indie Royale regularly churn out, in my opinion :sadnod:
Original post by hassi94
I bought this yesterday for $5.70 because I wanted world of goo too (costs like £4 on android alone, with osmos costing £3 and you get the other 2 games as well as pc version of the games! - really they deserve at least the average) :smile:

Oh and as a side note: because it's in dollars you may get charged a fee by your bank. I was charge £1.50 which I'm okay with to be honest.

Ta for the heads up. I assume the charge, if any, just appears on your bank statement? (rather than at point of sale.)

Here's the power of these PWYW deals: I have gotten my anti-gaming girlfriend into Osmos on Android. I think neither of us can believe it, but it brought us closer together for half am hour, and will continue to do so in the future. Excellent stuff. I'll dig out my old bundle codes now and conyribute a bit more if I have further success. Wish me luck!
Original post by JohnnySPal
Ta for the heads up. I assume the charge, if any, just appears on your bank statement? (rather than at point of sale.)

Here's the power of these PWYW deals: I have gotten my anti-gaming girlfriend into Osmos on Android. I think neither of us can believe it, but it brought us closer together for half am hour, and will continue to do so in the future. Excellent stuff. I'll dig out my old bundle codes now and conyribute a bit more if I have further success. Wish me luck!

Yeah just on the bank statement :smile: Mine's a Halifax Debit Card by the way.

Aha that's great, I love Osmos it's really different - weirdly relaxing.
Reply 1971
The Call of Duty game you bought with the CD key already redeemed is completely worthless. The key = The game.

You should never ever buy 2nd hand Steamworks or Origin games. I hate the scum bags who sell these on Amazon / ebay knowing full well they are useless. Some even say the key has been redeemed!

Hmm, try complaining to Amazon about the sellers lack of response instead? That might have more of an effect as they're right, really - they can't build a 'CD key may have already been used' into their selling system.

If the description didn't specify that the game would be unusable, then the seller is at fault. If it did, there probably isn't an awful lot you can do.

Original post by hassi94
Yeah just on the bank statement :smile: Mine's a Halifax Debit Card by the way.

Yeah, I had the same problem. Put me off buying the bundles actually since (unless you get in early so you can ignore the average), the average donation + £1.50 tends to be a fairly significant sum.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Darren-M
Hmm, try complaining to Amazon about the sellers lack of response instead? That might have more of an effect as they're right, really - they can't build a 'CD key may have already been used' into their selling system..

After a rather acrimonious back and forth, I gave them the opportunity to either give me my refund, or face my epic hissy fit with Amazon customer service about their selling practices. They got back to me yesterday saying they "wouldn't respond to empty threats" but will be issuing me my refund with a return address for the item :smile:
Am I correctly remembering that Civ V was reduced to around £5 in recentish Steam sales? I want to get it... But at £20, if the drop is that big I think I'd rather wait to see when it's on sale again.
Skyrim on Steam for £23 which I think is the cheapest it can be had at the moment.

Also if you have the bethesda 33% off voucher from christmas you can get it for £16 :smile:

I've already got it on Xbox so I'm gonna hold out. I know there are loads of cool mods but I barely have time for the full game itself along with other games :smile:
Original post by LtCommanderData

Original post by LtCommanderData
Am I correctly remembering that Civ V was reduced to around £5 in recentish Steam sales? I want to get it... But at £20, if the drop is that big I think I'd rather wait to see when it's on sale again.
I think it was £6.24 for standard and £10.19 for GotY when it was in the sale, something like that :yep:

Edit: Just checked and standard was £6.79
(edited 12 years ago)
The new Indie Royale is up for 'pre-order': www.indieroyale.com
You can now blind pre-order Indie Royale's Valentine's Bundle at a recommended €/£/$10 or €/£/$5 USD contribution, and a minimum of $3.99 USD.

The games offered this time include a fantastical first-person action-adventure game (Steam for PC), an IGF-nominated puzzle adventure title (Steam for PC and Mac, Desura for PC and Linux, DRM-free PC, Mac and Linux download), a 'scorching' single and multiplayer arcade-strategy game (Steam for PC and Mac), and a world premiere on PC for a pair of retro RPG-defense games (Desura for PC, DRM-free PC download).

Those who optionally pre-order now will get game access as soon as the bundle launches, lock in the lowest price, and receive as a bonus One Life Left's eclectic 'Music To Play Games By Too' compilation, available for the first time ever digitally (this bonus is also available to those who pay more than the minimum price during the bundle.)

The Valentine's Bundle will launch fully later this week at $3.99 USD and up - watch our Twitter feed or Facebook page for immediate notice at launch time.
Original post by Illusionary
The new Indie Royale is up for 'pre-order': www.indieroyale.com
Any guesses on the games? The 'scorching' arcade-strategy game is probably Hoard, and Dear Esther seems a reasonable shout for the 'fantastical first-person action-adventure game', but I dunno about the others.
Original post by Dalimyr
Any guesses on the games? The 'scorching' arcade-strategy game is probably Hoard, and Dear Esther seems a reasonable shout for the 'fantastical first-person action-adventure game', but I dunno about the others.

I'm wondering whether we'll see something to properly fit in with this bundle's theme? :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest