The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Morecambe? God, why would you ever wanna go to that ****hole?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by affinity89
Erm. The 3/4 go through Bare and along the sea front and the 2/2A goes aroun the back, so you would jump off near the shops. They both take around 45-55 minutes to get into Morecambe. Not the quickest journey, but simple enough and you don't need to change buses etc. Last time I did it [June] it was £4.30 for an all day ticket. :smile:

Ahh thats not too bad.
Would it be the nearest 'major' city?
Also does lancaster have a train station?

(sorry for all the questions but you seemed clued up!)
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ahh thats not too bad.

Morecambe is a small town. It's crap. The nearest major-ish city is Preston which is 15 mins away by train.
Yes, Lancaster has a train station.
Ahh thats not too bad.

Lancaster is a city. Morecambe is a town [as far as I am aware] lol. Morecambe is the seaside. :biggrin:

Erm. Your nearest larger city would be Preston. That is also around 1 hour on the bus [straight from campus - it is the 40/41 or 42 [the other goes to Blackpool]] or 15 minutes on the train. :smile:
Original post by RabbitCFH
Morecambe is a small town. It's crap. The nearest major-ish city is Preston which is 15 mins away by train.

Harsh lol.
A lot of my friends live in [and are from] Morecambe and I was very grateful for the place, as it meant I was able to find a job lol. :smile:
Hey everyone -- just to let you know that the Lancaster student recruitment team are on TSR this week to answer your questions.

Use this thread to get answers to anything you want to know regardless of how small or silly it feels - it's a great chance to speak directly with staff from the university :smile:
Original post by RabbitCFH

Oh i see... thank you :smile:

Original post by affinity89
Lancaster is a city. Morecambe is a town [as far as I am aware] lol. Morecambe is the seaside. :biggrin:

Erm. Your nearest larger city would be Preston. That is also around 1 hour on the bus [straight from campus - it is the 40/41 or 42 [the other goes to Blackpool]] or 15 minutes on the train. :smile:

Haha ok! I'm from Yorkshire (york) so am used to the seaside and the country side but living in york i have amenities on my doorstep so....

There seems to be quite a few bigger places not that far away. Does anyone ever to go liverpool or manchester?
Reiop
Oh i see... thank you :smile:

Haha ok! I'm from Yorkshire (york) so am used to the seaside and the country side but living in york i have amenities on my doorstep so....

There seems to be quite a few bigger places not that far away. Does anyone ever to go liverpool or manchester?

I had a lot of friends who went to Manchester shopping or to see bands etc. It takes an hour on the train and costs around £11 [with a railcard] for an open return ticket, so it is doable. I am from Manchester, so I went home a few times a term - even for one night [such as when I went back for friends' birthdays or to see RH lol] it was worth it. :smile:

Just for the rest of this week, I am going to close this thread [I'll re-open it at the weekend]. At the moment, we have representatives from Lancaster University operating a Question & Answer Thread of their own. If you direct your questions to them for the rest of the week, it will provide a nice opportunity to hear different opinions/gain information directly from the university. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/

The above page states:

Students from England eligible for our £5,000 bursary package above will also be awarded a £3,000 Lancaster Scholarship if they achieve A*, A, A in their A-level examinations (or equivalent academic qualifications) and place Lancaster as their firm choice. This totals £8,000 of support for students during their studies.

I wanted to double check whether BTEC qualifications are considered too (even though it does say equivalent academic qualifications). Could anyone confirm it includes BTEC qualifications? I'd presume BTEC students would be required to achieve D*, D, D (or above?).

Also, would anyone happen to know which college (accommodation) is closer to the Computer Science lecture theatres?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 4029
Original post by Erratic

Also, would anyone happen to know which college (accommodation) is closer to the Computer Science lecture theatres?

First year lectures were mainly in one place, but second year lectures are in different places - so I wouldn't worry think about it too much. County/Bowland would be good for most of the lectures, but then all your practicals will be in the engineering building, which is nearer Furness/Fylde/Grizedale.

Basically anywhere on the main campus. :tongue:
Does anyone know how good the job shop is? I have a job at the moment and want one during term time while I'm there. :biggrin:
Does anyone know which college would be best for a business student? For lectures as well as location/nightlife?

Thanks if anyone can help!
Original post by MadMike457
Does anyone know which college would be best for a business student? For lectures as well as location/nightlife?

Any of them.
Reply 4033
Original post by CallumJohn
Does anyone know how good the job shop is? I have a job at the moment and want one during term time while I'm there. :biggrin:

Not amazing, your better off using your own nous.

Original post by MadMike457

Fylde/Furness/Bowland/Grizedale/Pendle.

County is closer to arts subjects

Cartmel/Lonsdale are nowhere near anything.
Original post by Davott
Not amazing, your better off using your own nous.

Ah fair enough :/ thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 4035
I'm an unconditional offer holder starting the 2nd year of my course in October 2012. I was thinking of applying to County as I've heard good things about it (and would quite like to stay in a townhouse, they seem nice), just wondered what people's experiences of County are? (preferably if you're in it)

Also does anyone know how likely you are to get your 1st choice of college/accommodation?

One more thing...I've heard that you're likely to be put with 1st and 2nd year students, is this true? I'd be happy with this as I'd quite like to be with a mix since I'm going straight into 2nd year.

Original post by Haz606
I'm an unconditional offer holder starting the 2nd year of my course in October 2012. I was thinking of applying to County as I've heard good things about it (and would quite like to stay in a townhouse, they seem nice), just wondered what people's experiences of County are? (preferably if you're in it)

Also does anyone know how likely you are to get your 1st choice of college/accommodation?

One more thing...I've heard that you're likely to be put with 1st and 2nd year students, is this true? I'd be happy with this as I'd quite like to be with a mix since I'm going straight into 2nd year.

I can't help you with first-hand County experiences, but it is the only other college I'd be in if mine didn't exist, so that says something.

Priority is usually given to 1st and final year students with on campus accommodation, so I don't know what they'll do in regards to your campus accommodation with you going straight into second year. However, if you're being treated like a first year, I've heard that if you put down County townhouse as first choice and Grizedale townhouse as your second choice there's a pretty safe bet you'll get one of them (although nothing is guaranteed, and this is just anecdotal...). If you're treated like any other 2nd year you should know, no non-international/non-disabled 2nd year got County on-campus accommodation last year, they were too oversubscribed. If you are going to be given lowest priority like that, one of the South West colleges is your best bet (Cartmel in particular) if you absolutely want to be on campus. If you'll be treated like a fresher, then pick away.

I can't speak for County but in Fylde accommodation is divided up into freshers and continuers. I'm currently in a flat with mostly third years (current second year). I don't know what the system will be with going straight into second year either...
The idea is that freshers will party more and continuers won't, so you're less likely to be woken up in the middle of the night by people coming home from nights out.
It shouldn't matter if you're with freshers or continuers anyway, you'll still make friends, continuers will still wanna go out in freshers' week or you can just join in with fresher activities.
(edited 12 years ago)
When can we begin to apply for accommodation? I'm guaranteed to meet my offer.

Hoping to get a place in bowlands to save some extra cash.
Original post by Not Guilty
When can we begin to apply for accommodation? I'm guaranteed to meet my offer.

Hoping to get a place in bowlands to save some extra cash.

June.
Reply 4039
Hey, I have a question, trying to find the answer bouncing from thread to thread is kind of giving me a headache :cool: :smile:

Im hoping to move to Lancaster in Sept from Northern Ireland. And I would like to know how do I apply for student finance, I mean I know how to apply, Ive been there before :smile: I mean do I apply for the student finance of england or the student finance of NI... 2 completely different set ups. I dont no what to do :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending