The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

The official 'Glasgow is my firm!' thread 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ive got unconditionals from Glasgow and Edinburgh but im unsure of which to pick so wondering why did everyone here choose glasgow? What are your reasons? Also does anyone know if glasgow has alot of international students or not? Thanks :smile:

@KCoyote same! what you wanting to study? Why you so unsure too? :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 41
I chose Glasgow, because Edinburgh rejected me. :biggrin: No, actually it's good they did, because then I'd be in the same position as you. :smile:
Reply 42
Same situation here. Edinburgh obviously don't like EU student, I don't know a single person from my country (Hungary) who has been accepted. But I always preferred Glasgow over Edinburgh - cheaper city, warmer atmosphere/community, and my course is ranked higher there.
Btw magenta1, I'm actually a prospective accounting student myself. :smile: (Accountancy with Languages BAcc)
According to their website, the university has an international student rate of 13% (I'm not sure if this number includes EU students outside the UK, but probably doesn't) plus erasmus exchange students.
Reply 43
Glasgow firmed, genuinely can't wait to hoof it up there. Assuming I don't fail maths hard.

I have a lot of family in the Paisley/Glasgow area, and my Dad's from there, so along with the city and the university both being excellent I feel like it's the right choice for me.
Reply 44
I'm from London and I'm stuck between SOAS and Glasgow!! I would like to firm Glasgow and have thought about it, but need to do a bit more thinking!! :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by far_94
I'm from London and I'm stuck between SOAS and Glasgow!! I would like to firm Glasgow and have thought about it, but need to do a bit more thinking!! :smile:

As far as I see it, you have a choice mainly between two amazing cities.

Do you want to live in London or Glasgow?
Reply 46
Original post by Benstep
As far as I see it, you have a choice mainly between two amazing cities.

Do you want to live in London or Glasgow?

I'm currently living in London, so moving to Scotland would be an interesting experience! But then London is also amazing!! ergh!!
English Literature at Glasgow :smile: I will firm it as soon as I receive all the answers. Anybody else for this course?
Original post by SeverusSnape
English Literature at Glasgow :smile: I will firm it as soon as I receive all the answers. Anybody else for this course?

I've got an offer for English Literature and Theatre Studies, but I am torn between Glasgow, Leeds and Sheffield! I haven't been able to afford to go up there yet (I'm from London) so I've heard it's a great uni but it's just so far away! :frown: What made you firm Glasgow?
I've got an offer for English Lit and Theatre Studies but I haven't been able to go to Glasgow yet because of the £100 train fares! :frown: (This is the major con for Glasgow, I've heard great things about it otherwise!) In terms of my course, it's the best out of my other options - Leeds, Sheff and UEA, but the distance is putting me off. Why did everyone firm Glasgow though, just so I can get a bit jealous? Aha :biggrin:
Original post by dulciemae
I've got an offer for English Literature and Theatre Studies, but I am torn between Glasgow, Leeds and Sheffield! I haven't been able to afford to go up there yet (I'm from London) so I've heard it's a great uni but it's just so far away! :frown: What made you firm Glasgow?

What made me firm Glasgow is how the subject is structured. Also, I enjoy the idea of choosing 2 other subjects in the first two years (in this way I can combine English Literature - I like Classics and Celtic and if I change my mind I can choose almost whatever I want as long as I meet the requirements.)

What's more, Glasgow has a good place on the league tables and is in top 100 world universities. Sheffield and Leeds are good unis, too, but in my opinion Glasgow is better. Try searching for a detailed structure for all universities and see what you'll study in each year. Decide what you enjoy most. I hope it helps.
What made me firm Glasgow is how the subject is structured. Also, I enjoy the idea of choosing 2 other subjects in the first two years (in this way I can combine English Literature - I like Classics and Celtic and if I change my mind I can choose almost whatever I want as long as I meet the requirements.)

What's more, Glasgow has a good place on the league tables and is in top 100 world universities. Sheffield and Leeds are good unis, too, but in my opinion Glasgow is better. Try searching for a detailed structure for all universities and see what you'll study in each year. Decide what you enjoy most. I hope it helps.

Yeah, that's what made me chose Glasgow too! The fact it's four years as well just shows how much you'll more you'll be able to learn, and the other subject option sounds really interesting! It was a bit of a wildcard choice at first, but I am really warming to it now :smile: Yeah that would be useful, I think a lot of people (I, myself am probably a bit guilty for this!) look at where there's a wicked nightlife etc, great student union etc...but Glasgow's even rated brilliant for this too, and regarded one of the best student cities! I really like the Leeds course too however, it's got a good mix of written and practical and teaching and a range of optional modules, and a year abroad option (like Glasgow too!) so it's difficult deciding. :redface: I half don't want to go and visit Glasgow because I think it'd be even more difficult deciding! Leeds is a good uni but yeah, Glasgow is rated higher in the UK and Internationally actually, but at the end of the day its the uni that feels right for you I suppose. Thanks for the help :smile:
i have an unconditional for gaelic/maths at glasgow which was my first choice but i can't firm it until edinburgh reply, damn it! :mad: i want cairncross house though, couldn't afford queen margaret i don't think :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by magenta1
Ive got unconditionals from Glasgow and Edinburgh but im unsure of which to pick so wondering why did everyone here choose glasgow? What are your reasons? Also does anyone know if glasgow has alot of international students or not? Thanks :smile:

@KCoyote same! what you wanting to study? Why you so unsure too? :smile:

Computer Science. I've got a degree from Edinburgh already, also I've always lived there. So on the one hand I have lots of friends in Edin, and it would be cheaper, but I don't want to stay at home (I fear I would in Edin), and Glasgow gives me that chance. But I don't know if I'll like living in Glasgow!!
Reply 54

I am! English Literature & Psychology. Also an EU applicant. :smile:
Reply 55
firmed glasgow today for law...buzzing!
does anybody know when the freshers week starts? :biggrin:
Original post by Caitlin94
firmed glasgow today for law...buzzing!

glasgow for law too :smile: what halls you applied to?
Original post by aledora
I firmed Glasgow 2 weeks ago:smile:Spanish and French 2012
I really hope i have made the right choice...now i need the grades:biggrin:

applied for law and french, but changing to Spanish and French too! what halls is everyone applying for?
Reply 59
i put queen margaret as my first choice, then murano small and murano large. what about everyone else? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest