The Student Room Group

Parents earn enough to not qualify for larger loan - but wont help out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by WelshBluebird
That isn't really true though.

For parents CAN afford to help, but do not want to, the likelihood is that they would give their child some money if they really needed it (say the child couldn't afford their rent and needed to pay it or get kicked out). It is very unlikely a parent who could afford it would let their child end up being kicked out of their accommodation.

For parents who cannot afford to help, it is totally difficult. They cannot help whatever the situation. They would not be able to help their child no matter how much they wanted to.

I know what you're saying, but there's still a proportion of people who fall between being mega rich and poor enough to get means tested money. The other flaw with the system is that they don't take into account how many children are in higher education. If you've got three children, all born relatively close together and/or on long degree courses (medicine, vet science), you're not going to be able to support them to the same degree as one child, and yet Student Finance doesn't take any discernible notice of this.
That isn't really true though.

For some whose parents CAN afford to help, but do not want to, the likelihood is that they would give their child some money if they really needed it (say the child couldn't afford their rent and needed to pay it or get kicked out). It is very unlikely a parent who could afford it would let their child end up being kicked out of their accommodation.

For parents who cannot afford to help, it is totally difficult. They cannot help whatever the situation. They would not be able to help their child no matter how much they wanted to.

Generally, the more money your parents earn, the more money they will give to you and spend on you.

But just because the parents earn more it doesn't necessarily mean they will give money to the child. That's the whole point.
Original post by No Future
But just because the parents earn more it doesn't necessarily mean they will give money to the child. That's the whole point.

The point is in 90% of cases the parents DO help the child, because most parents care about their Childrens education. If legislation was changed to help the 10% who don't, those 90% would benefit again EVEN further.

But in general, that is the case.
Yes, there are exceptions, but in general it is correct assumption.
The only other way of doing it is to individually assess every person, and that would just take too much money and too much time.

Original post by jeh_jeh
I know what you're saying, but there's still a proportion of people who fall between being mega rich and poor enough to get means tested money. The other flaw with the system is that they don't take into account how many children are in higher education. If you've got three children, all born relatively close together and/or on long degree courses (medicine, vet science), you're not going to be able to support them to the same degree as one child, and yet Student Finance doesn't take any discernible notice of this.

1 - As above. Individually asssessing everyone would be too expensive and too time consuming.

2 - But surely you can argue that it was the parents choice? I dunno.

My ideal solution would be to increase the loans available to everyone, so those from high income families still get enough to live on, but those from poorer backgrounds still get more. Or maybe have a separate loan that you can apply for if you really do need it.
Original post by marshymarsh
The point is in 90% of cases the parents DO help the child, because most parents care about their Childrens education. If legislation was changed to help the 10% who don't, those 90% would benefit again EVEN further.

Well, if it's a repayable loan I don't see the issue. The student has to repay the debt, does it matter that they borrowed an extra £1 or £2k per year? I don't see the problem. It's not a grant, it's a loan.
But in general, that is the case.
Yes, there are exceptions, but in general it is correct assumption.
The only other way of doing it is to individually assess every person, and that would just take too much money and too much time.

Why not just have a slightly higher loan? The student has to repay it, after all.
Reply 66

1 - As above. Individually asssessing everyone would be too expensive and too time consuming.

2 - But surely you can argue that it was the parents choice? I dunno.

My ideal solution would be to increase the loans available to everyone, so those from high income families still get enough to live on, but those from poorer backgrounds still get more. Or maybe have a separate loan that you can apply for if you really do need it.

1. This is why I think that sometimes being richer in this country is a disadvantage because you just fall through the cracks.

2. Well, of course it's the parents' choice, but there is a difference between being able to afford to bring up three children to eighteen and being able to financially support all three through university. What parents, twenty years in advance, are gonna be like, "Right, we can afford to raise three kids, but we won't be able to afford to help them all through university [because we've got some magical crystal ball to tell us how much more expensive it's going to get in the next twenty years] so we'll just have one"? I can't think of many, to be honest.
Well, if it's a repayable loan I don't see the issue. The student has to repay the debt, does it matter that they borrowed an extra £1 or £2k per year? I don't see the problem. It's not a grant, it's a loan.

But where will the extra money come from?

The other flaw with the system is that they don't take into account how many children are in higher education.

I was told they did.:s-smilie:

Its the best repayable loan of your life which is why there is a huge uptake in the loans even by people that don't need it. The 'better off' (lets stop using poor and rich its so un-PC) students do not need that extra money so there is no need to burden the current tax payer with extra cost, yes it will be clawed back but why bother?

The current system is fine, Loan + Grant = not enough to live on which encourages students to work and become independent without stopping people from attending university.
Original post by OU Student
But where will the extra money come from?

As I've already mentioned, this problem has been ongoing for many years. People asked then "where will the money come from?" and yet extra money has been found for next year for the increase loans to cover the increased tuition fees. £6k vs a couple of k per year.
As I've already mentioned, this problem has been ongoing for many years. People asked then "where will the money come from?" and yet extra money has been found for next year for the increase loans to cover the increased tuition fees. £6k vs a couple of k per year.

1 - Much of that increased cost has come from the money that has been cut from funding that goes direct to unis.
2 - The government is actually going against its whole "spend less money" mantra with this, as it is an idealogical thing the tories have that the state should not pay for anything and private individuals should - hence the move to the student paying more. The government is incurring large costs because of its political beliefs.
Its the best repayable loan of your life which is why there is a huge uptake in the loans even by people that don't need it. The 'better off' (lets stop using poor and rich its so un-PC) students do not need that extra money so there is no need to burden the current tax payer with extra cost, yes it will be clawed back but why bother?

The current system is fine, Loan + Grant = not enough to live on which encourages students to work and become independent without stopping people from attending university.

Lol, we're going round in circles.

It's fine for students from better off families to work, but those from less well off families don't? Why? Why should their studies suffer?
Reply 72
Original post by OU Student

If they do, then surely in the interests of fairness they should take how many children are in higher education and divide income by that number, and then give grants out on a similar scale to everyone else... which they don't.
1 - Much of that increased cost has come from the money that has been cut from funding that goes direct to unis.
2 - The government is actually going against its whole "spend less money" mantra with this, as it is an idealogical thing the tories have that the state should not pay for anything and private individuals should - hence the move to the student paying more. The government is incurring large costs because of its political beliefs.

1. Yes, that is true.
2. Yes, the fee increase is financially nonsensical for the government.

I don't think you have said anything I don't already agree with.
Lol, we're going round in circles.

It's fine for students from better off families to work, but those from less well off families don't? Why? Why should their studies suffer?

We aren't going around in circles. 6k In Loan + Grant is not enough to live off, the poor kids aren't getting an easier ride and still have to find jobs/sponsorships. This is the same for most students regardless of if they get a Loan or not.
Reply 75
We aren't going around in circles. 6k In Loan + Grant is not enough to live off, the poor kids aren't getting an easier ride and still have to find jobs/sponsorships. This is the same for most students regardless of if they get a Loan or not.

O, rly? For 2012/2013, according to the Directgov website, non-London maintenance loan is £5500 and non-repayable money of up to £3250. That's over £8k. If you factor in that a lot of universities also have their own generous bursary schemes for people with parental income under a certain threshold, you could easily be looking at £10k/year, which is more than enough to live off. To be honest, £8,000 is still a pretty generous figure.
Nobody should have to work term time as a student imo. Fortunately I am from a family who will help but I really don't think the system is fair at all. What we need is the maintenance loan to be a different scheme than the fees. Such that you pay back what you use within 10 years, this will mean students can survive and those who don't want to use it won't have to pay as much.
Why is it such a problem to just throw "How much will your parents be contributing?" into the loan algorithm, and then monitor cash flow to the account to make sure figures add up?

Two birds, one stone.
Reply 78
Dunno, but somehow they have found extra hundreds of millions to fund the increase in tuition fee loans (which is a much bigger sum than the one I propose) around £6k for EVERY student, whereas to give enough to live on would only require an extra couple of k for SOME students. I'm pretty sure the funds exist in some form.

No they haven't found any extra money. All that's happened is that the government now gives those funds to the student as a loan instead of direct to the university to subsidise the cost of the course.

It would mean finding an extra 2-3-4-5k for EVERY single student. Yes it may be repayable, eventually, maybe, if the student repaid before the 30years it takes to write it off But right now, with the country in the state it is, finding hundreds of millions from thin air is just not realistic.

As I've said before, the system definitely has its flaws but finding that much extra money to give every student the full funding is not going to happen.
Reply 79
Original post by Aisha~~
Why is it such a problem to just throw "How much will your parents be contributing?" into the loan algorithm, and then monitor cash flow to the account to make sure figures add up?

Two birds, one stone.

Coz everyone's totally honest and would declare if they got given money? It would be nigh on impossible to make sure a student didn't have another bank account, or a parents bank card, or were being given cash.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending