The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Contrad!ction.
Maintenance grant and maintenance loan. I think one's £3850 and the other's £3500, but I could be wrong. I know I'm entitled to full support, because my dad earns pretty much nothing.

I don't think you get 7k but. The maximum I think you can get is roughly 5.5k and everyone can get this if their parents earn under something like 45k or there abouts. If you are entitled to a grant or bursery that doesn't mean it's added on top of your loan, it means it's instead of your loan. I.e out of the 5.5k you get, 3k might be made up from a grant meaning only 2.5k is a loan. Where as if you aren't entitled to a grant the full 5.5k is a loan.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
I don't think you get 7k but. The maximum I think you can get is roughly 5.5k and everyone can get this if their parents earn under something like 45k or there abouts. If you are entitled to a grant or bursery that doesn't mean it's added on top of your loan, it means it's instead of your loan. I.e out of the 5.5k you get, 3k might be made up from a grant meaning only 2.5k is a loan. Where as if you aren't entitled to a grant the full 5.5k is a loan.

This is my entitlement:

I would have thought you'd just add them together?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_much_financial_support_can_I_get

This money (Maintenance Loan) is paid directly into your UK bank account along with any Maintenance Grant in three instalments. This is normally at the start of each term in September/October, January and April.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't think you get 7k but...

When I did the whole finance calculator thing, as only one of my parents work & with a low salary, i got the same as Contrad!ction did & 3.8K was a loan & 3.5K was a grant. I haven't done the actual thing yet though, so i may be wrong :colone:
Well if you say so, but I would check up on that, because I'm applying through saas and because I'm studying in england it gets passed onto the english student loans company and I've had to speak to them on quite a few occasions and I have been told that no one gets more than 5.5k. Grant or no grant. :dontknow: Could be wrong though.

I edited my post to show that I wasn't completely certain :tongue:

Also quoted something from the student finance wiki, which suggests they just bung them together. Maybe saas do something differently?

Original post by rachmcg666
When I did the whole finance calculator thing, as only one of my parents work & with a low salary, i got the same as Contrad!ction did & 3.8K was a loan & 3.5K was a grant. I haven't done the actual thing yet though, so i may be wrong :colone:

I got the numbers slightly wrong, but I think they just add together. Otherwise, it wouldn't really make sense, because there isn't much you can do with those numbers to get £5.5k.
Reply 144
Original post by dannyk
Yes the licence covers you to watch live TV on any platform. I'm not sure how TV works at Bath - they probably have ariel sockets in the rooms (though I don't know), where you can plug a freeview set top box (costs about £20 to buy) into.

There's nothing to stop you watching TV without a licence, technically - though Bath may want to check you do have one when you turn up with a TV.

In that case I would have to sneak it in under my shirt .... :colone: :rofl: :rofl: :lolz:

AHHHH.... nobody has any idea about the socket part... guess will have to contact accommodations office or just check wen I get my room!!! :smile:

Thankz for the help!! :biggrin:
I edited my post to show that I wasn't completely certain :tongue:

Also quoted something from the student finance wiki, which suggests they just bung them together. Maybe saas do something differently?

I got the numbers slightly wrong, but I think they just add together. Otherwise, it wouldn't really make sense, because there isn't much you can do with those numbers to get £5.5k.

Yeah possibly I got it wrong as well, but it was the english loans company I was speaking to. :dontknow:
Reply 146
I'm not bothering with a TV licence - most TV ends up on the internet anyway and I think (unless it's changed) that if you're watching live, but on an unplugged laptop, then that's allowed anyway.

WOOOHOOOO!!!! I just saved 150 pounds bcoz of u!! :biggrin:
I still haven't firmed or insured yet (only heard back from all of them a couple of weeks ago), is there any chance of me getting an en-suite still?
Reply 148
Original post by MisanthropicLemon
I still haven't firmed or insured yet (only heard back from all of them a couple of weeks ago), is there any chance of me getting an en-suite still?

Try your luck!!! :dunno:
Reply 149
According to this, I'm the only one staying in Woodland Court LOL. YEEEY One girl partaaaaaaay.
haha i was just reading what you guys said on maintenance loans and grants etc.
do international students have to pay maintenance too or depends which accommodation? i'm so clueless :s-smilie: i've never heard of paying for maintenance before..
Original post by yzarcemina
haha i was just reading what you guys said on maintenance loans and grants etc.
do international students have to pay maintenance too or depends which accommodation? i'm so clueless :s-smilie: i've never heard of paying for maintenance before..

Lol no one pays maintenance, when they say maintenance grants they mean money for alcohol, study supplies, food, travel expenses etc.

The amount you pay in rent for accommodation includes all bills.
(edited 12 years ago)
£88-£98 per week.

opps haha it was right there :smile: heee
Lol no one pays maintenance, when they say maintenance grants they mean money for alcohol, study supplies, food, travel expenses etc.

The amount you pay in rent for accommodation includes all bills.

owh... now it makes sense, cause where i'm from ppl actually pay maintenance for their houses so i thought... haha

cool can international students get grants too? just asking :smile:
anyone know where's osbourne house located on campus? or is it not on campus? for which i will give myself a slap on the forehead :biggrin:
owh... now it makes sense, cause where i'm from ppl actually pay maintenance for their houses so i thought... haha

Not sure if international students do or not, you'll have to consult the student loans company on this one. Even if you didn't there are probably some hardship bursaries or something as an international student that you could apply for. :smile:
Reply 156
I'm not bothering with a TV licence - most TV ends up on the internet anyway and I think (unless it's changed) that if you're watching live, but on an unplugged laptop, then that's allowed anyway.

It's only allowed if the last place you plugged it into had a licence, so essentially it would still be illegal to do what you suggest (though obviously most people do, they really can't check).

Original post by Nikstar95
In that case I would have to sneak it in under my shirt .... :colone: :rofl: :rofl: :lolz:

AHHHH.... nobody has any idea about the socket part... guess will have to contact accommodations office or just check wen I get my room!!! :smile:

Thankz for the help!! :biggrin:

You shouldn't need to smuggle it if you're only using it for PS3. Especially if it only has an analogue tuner in it (not freeview), as we don't broadcast analogue TV in this country anymore - therefore they can't argue you're using it to watch live TV.
Original post by dannyk
It's only allowed if the last place you plugged it into had a licence, so essentially it would still be illegal to do what you suggest (though obviously most people do, they really can't check).

Ha, how do they think they're going to enforce that? :tongue:

I tend to watch on websites anyway, normally after the episodes have aired - so it wouldn't affect me anyway.
Reply 158

If you're EU then you get the tuition fees loan, and possibly loan/grant, depending on how long you've lived here.

If you're outside of the EU I don't think you can get anything - even tuition fees are much more expensive aren't they? Not really fair I know...
Reply 159
Ha, how do they think they're going to enforce that? :tongue:

I tend to watch on websites anyway, normally after the episodes have aired - so it wouldn't affect me anyway.

The system worked well in 1950. Unfortunately, things have moved on from then but the system remains the same - and you're right, the whole licensing thing is basically unenforceable - they can't even come into your house to check if you're watching TV if you don't let them.

It's an honesty thing really - though you get the added benefit of not being sent threatening letters every week if you do pay it!

Quick Reply

Latest