The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8940
Transfer wise, I'm not sure what we need to be honest. Our squad seems to be pretty full quantity wise. Quality wise we could improve of course, but not without shifting some of the players we have already. Who we bring in will definitely depend on who we shift out.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Just been watching some old Carling Cup performances, in particular the 6-0 win over Sheffield United.

Seems Vela has been doing well on loan at Sociedad, got 10 goals this season so far - might be worth another look in pre-season before getting rid of him for good.

Having said that, his agent claims Vela wants a permanent move to Sociedad - given that we paid £125,000 for him it's probably worth cashing in.

Should be able to fetch around £5m for him in the summer. That can go towards the Podolski fee.
Does anyone know what the Emirates will be called after the deal finishes? I've heard "New Highbury" on the most reliable source (fifa 12).
^ when is the deal due to finish?
Original post by gunit123
I wish they left Squisshy too! :redface:

Squillaci is quality though.
Original post by internet tough guy
^ when is the deal due to finish?

I seem to remember it was a 10 year deal.
I'd have thought it would just be called Ashburton Grove, since that's where the site is. :dontknow:

Wouldn't be surprised if we were to try and re-negotiate with Emirates though.
Reply 8947
Original post by jilebinator
Does anyone know what the Emirates will be called after the deal finishes? I've heard "New Highbury" on the most reliable source (fifa 12).

I thought it would be Ashburton Grove?
Original post by jam277
Squillaci is quality though.

What have you been smoking? By far Arsene's worst signing during his 16 years here.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
What have you been smoking? By far Arsene's worst signing during his 16 years here.

Francis Jeffers, Richard Wright, Nelson Vivas and Igors Stepanovs say otherwise.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Francis Jeffers, Richard Wright, Nelson Vivas and Igors Stepanovs say otherwise.

Okay, he's in the top 5 worst signings then
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Okay, he's in the top 5 worst signings then

I'll agree he hasn't been a great sigining, but I'm pretty sure jam was just trolling.
Original post by zxh800
Transfer wise, I'm not sure what we need to be honest. Our squad seems to be pretty full quantity wise. Quality wise we could improve of course, but not without shifting some of the players we have already. Who we bring in will definitely depend on who we shift out.

First of all get rid of obviously **** players.

I think Benayoun can be a useful squad player - we should sign him . At minimum, probably a striker and an AM will be bought. But it wont be enough to compete for CL.

For competing in the CL , we need more experienced players the young ones can look up to - and more importantly we need to improve as a team. No amount of signings can win us the CL if they cant perform as a cohesive unit. And also we need to sort out the defensive errors and the problems with mentality.

Maybe bring in a coach or assistant with new ideas?
Ideas that are better than :

- Bringing Chamakh/Bendtner on and playing hoofball when we are chasing the game at the 80 minute mark. :colonhash:

- Or bringing on obviously better subs at the 100th minute when if could have been done earlier.

It won't be easy.
Original post by zxh800
I thought it would be Ashburton Grove?

:colonhash: WengerDome :colonhash:
Original post by antonfigo

I like. :cool:
Reply 8955
Original post by antonfigo

He'll definitely get something named after him eventually!
Reply 8956
Original post by jilebinator

The Queen should have been there! :tongue:
Original post by alex_hk90
I seem to remember it was a 10 year deal.

I'm just thinking, how much money does this deal bring in? because I would much prefer the name of our stadium to be kept by us rather than sold off to commercial interests every X amount of years like a merry go round. Something like, 'Highbury Grove' would be neat IMO, 'ashburton' doesn't have nice ring to it :s-smilie:
Highbury Grove sounds worse, IMO.
I actually quite like 'the Emirates'... way better than 'sports direct arena'!

Latest